Current draw, anyone have any figures ?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Current draw, anyone have any figures ??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How many amps would different setups draw?

1) 40 size trainer- with 4 standard Futaba servos ( 1 elevator, 1 rudder, 1 aileron and 1 throttle )

2) Biplane with 4 aileron servos ( ds821 digital ), 2x analog hitec 625 mg on elevator, 2 x hitec 625 mg on rudder. and 1 hitec standard servo on throttle.

Thanks for an info.
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Re: Current draw, anyone have any figures ??

[QUOTE=Bdegan;525239]How many amps would different setups draw?QUOTE]

This is not an easy question to answer. The receiver alone, would draw a constant and measureable current, but servo current draw varies from very low (uA) when idle to hundreds if not thousands of mA when moving and even more if it stalls (Depends on servo size and application). Add to this that even using the same servos, you will get different values depending on the setup of your linkages (due to load on the servo to drive the surfaces) - and this will change in flight due to surface loading caused by the airflow over / under the surface....)

Very difficult to be specific....

Even trying to measure the value with an ammeter is difficult because with a digital meter the reading is too erratic to get a true figure and with an analog meter the needle may not respond fast enough to give a true reading.

You didn't say why you need to know, so I'm assuming that you're trying to determine how long certain setups will last in the air (i.e., flight time). If so, then one way I use to come up with a decent figure is to charge my plane fully and then hook up a voltmeter to one of the receiver ports (a Y connector works if there are no ports open) and monitor the voltage. For a 4 cell receiver pack, I use a lower figure of 4.4V (1.1 V/cell) as my cutoff. My radio has a function called "Servo" where it moves all the servos from end stop to end stop at a constant rate. I turn on this function and then time how long it takes for the voltage to drop to 4.4V. I then use 70% of this value (Personal preference) as my flight time. In the air, the servos don't move all the time so this value is probably very conservative, but still gives me about 6-8 fifteen minute flights on a charge (4 servo setup = Throttle, Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons). Better to be conservative and charge when you get home than to push it and have to rebuild... Just as extra insurance, I have a volt monitor in each plane that turns off a high intensity green LED when the battery drops below about 4.5V - No green = No fly.
Regards, John.
MAAC 33776.
My planes gotta be up there somewhere....
Hydroid is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.