Silver-Zinc Batteries for Electrics? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: johnm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Silver-Zinc Batteries for Electrics?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I read this article the other day. Perhaps these batteries will work their way into RC.
johnmathewson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

Total Props: 0
Re: Silver-Zinc Batteries for Electrics?

Perhaps - *if* they can deliver the amps that we need.....

Mine is not to reason why; I just wire them up to fry...I mean Fly!
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!!!
I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the chandelier......

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Interesting article. 33% more power. Non volitile and NO degradation in the first year of use! Sound great!

Anyone have any other specs on these batteries, like size and weight? mAH ratings and such?

The article says that this is not new technology, but this is the first time I've heard of them. BUT it does sound like cost may be a serious concern compared to the more well known technologies that we use today in our planes.

If they are the new inovative way to go, then I'm sure we are going to hear a lot more about them. Theres always something new on the horizon!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by johnmathewson View Post
I read this article the other day. Perhaps these batteries will work their way into RC.
John, this does sound like marketing vapourware (lots of smoke and lights but no product).

Considering that laptops are constant-load devices, these batteries may not be suitable for our use as Gary said.

I read the article and found that no product is available, lithium batteries are being slammed in every paragraph (explosive, firecrackers, flammible are some of the words used).

Right now, I'd put this down to marketeering hype, and use the time-honoured marketing phrase -- SHOW ME THE BEEF!

Until there are batteries out in the marketplace and notable battery gurus like Kieth Shaw have had their kick at them, I'd rather not be that far out on the bleeding edge of technology.

BTW, just did a Google on silver Zinc Batteries and got this

Interesting entry in the article says that the silver zinc batteries had the highest energy density until LITHIUM technology came along. Looks like ZPower is re-writing history.....

Plus there's the no actual mention of the technical details, only a graph that shows lithium densities flattening out while silver-zinc goes for the moon over the same time.

Wiki article also said that the amount of silver in the batteries is significant in the larger batteries, which is why ZPower also has a recycling incentive program -- they don't have to pay market rates for silver.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 05-03-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Additional information
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I seem to recall that the first electric flights in the U.K. carried out by Col. Taplin used this type of cell made, I think by YARDLEY.
Unfortunately I can't check this as I am in the middle of a major move and all my files are not accessible. Horribly expensive, even in 1957 - 1959! Sorry guys, I can't be more specific. Let's hear more comments!

Later - wonderful thing the net! Cells developed about 55 years ago by Michel Yardney and Prof. Henri Andre. Col. Taplin's plane 'The Radio Queen', first flew electric (reportedly) on 30th June, 1957, weighed nearly 8 pounds, motor was surplus Emerson 24 volt that weighed 30 oz.,
25 silver-zinc cells by Yardney weighing just over 28 oz. gave motor 30 volts at 8 amps!!
Some people have disputed Taplin's flights but they were fairly well documented by observers of the day. All I found on quick search, goodnight.

Last edited by Spitball; 05-07-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: More facts and a correction to spelling.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.