Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :( - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #41

Total Props: 0
Re: Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :(

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
Yup, it's true, after 25 years in the hobby, I'm thinking of calling it quits. Not because I don't enjoy it anymore, quite the contrary, I wish I could get out to fly more often, but because of many other reasons.

1. Lack of a place to fly. Here in the lower mainland, finding clubs to fly at is tough. There are many clubs out here, but very few that are friendly to some of the types of airplanes I fly, either due to noise regulations or simply space. Tree's off the end of a runway don't work well with pylon or pattern type birds that require a long flat approach to slow down enough to land much less jets. I've already come to terms with the fact that the jets probably need to be saved for the odd weekend I can actually make it to Princeton to fly them.

2. Park fliers... I personally know of one club that has had airplanes lost due to people who are not club members, not maac members, flying park fliers close to, but not on the club field. They turn on and bang, shoot somebody down. Doesn't seem like it's something that would happen often, but it will and does. I have no issues with park fliers except that they are model aircraft and should be treated as such, they should be flown at a club field under MAAC guidelines and frequency control, not flown haphazardly in some park somewhere with no regard for clubs or in some cases even the safety of other people in the parks.

3. 2.4ghz technology. In 25 years of flying I have never been shot down flying on 72mhz. I have honestly not even had a radio problem that could not be figured out either due to component failure or user screw up. I had a fail safe lockout on my kingcat last year which I fortunately got out of and saved the airplane, and in the end concluded that it was my receiver antenna that was probably yanked on at some point and not connected properly to the receiver anymore. As such, I don't want to change to 2.4, and honestly, at this point in my life, I can't afford to switch to 2.4. All my airplane stuff was paid for well before I started my own business, having to switch all my stuff to 2.4 is a large expense. Further to that, I have a couple airplanes that I use a full 10 channels on my receiver and there is not to my knowledge a 10 channel 2.4 receiver available yet.
I have no personal grudges with 2.4 (although I'd feel better once I start reading about less crashes on 2.4) but my 72mhz works fine. As with all changes in technology though, I know there will be a period where everyone is switching over and the dreaded "oops, that was my 72mhz radio, not 2.4 that I turned on" will happen and people will get shot down by it. As it was with auto start turbine engines, people get complacent and forget the common sense part of modelling for a while (with turbines, the auto start was so easy to use there were many times I witnessed starts being made with no fire suppression equipment anywhere to be seen).

4. Cost of flying these days and lack of time to do so. Not that flying RC is expensive, it isn't really, but if I consider the amount of times I can actually get out to fly, cost of club dues (which I don't feel are unfair, even the clubs charging $250 + per year) MAAC dues (which again I feel are cheap, no issues there on that one item) Glow fuel, Gas to get to and from the field, hotels if I want to go to Princeton to fly (hardly worth a 3 hour trip each way and $160 worth of diesel to stay only for an afternoon) etc, it does add up.

Anyway, I love this hobby, and I'm probably just venting, but I am really questioning whether or not it's worth staying in the hobby at this point. All of my hobby stuff is paid for, but even though it costs me nothing to keep, I just wonder if it's not money that could be recycled and put to better uses.

I've enjoyed 25 years of RC modelling, I love seeing the technology evolve, but honestly I feel right now that the new technology is a good part of what is pushing me away from the hobby. I have honestly never felt worried about flying and having somebody shoot me down, but in the last year or so that has been a fear I've had. Unfounded? Maybe...

have you considered gliding or maybe join the teens at the park with parkflyers? you could take your jet to the park so all those punks will think your RAD! most jets never come out of the truck anyways from what i have seen
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #42
RCC Noob
I am: Greg

Total Props: 0
Re: Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :(

Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
Hey my friend, perhaps you should do some reading and a little research on the subject and learn and understand the technology before making these kinds of statements. What your suggesting is absolutely just not possible! The way the frequency locking system (Spektrum JR ) works, suppose even if it were possible that all the frequencies were in use, the next radio would not have anything to lock on to and just simply would not operate. The same is true of the FHSS systems, with no frequencies to hop to, there would be no signal allowing the person to operate his plane...thus NO shoot downs ever!!
Actually, both of you should read up on how 2.4GHz systems work. There is enough bandwidth on a single channel to share with MULTIPLE transmitters and you would not know any better when it occurs.
xed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.