Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: The Sacred Workshop

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dennis, your post brought a tear to my eye, my friend. I, like you have a wonderful relationship with my fiancÚ. We both have our own interests, but share in to the extent possible in what each other is doing.

I know that Kay isn't particularily enthused about airplanes, but shes always shows an interest in what I am doing. She does accassionally accompany me to a fun fly or an IMAC event and will find a shady spot and do some knitting or read her current novel but she is there, sharing and that's what is important! Likewise, I go with her on some of her excursions, picking out just the right material for her latest quilting project, or to a quilting show. Again, it's the sharing that is important.

I have been in the hobby since 1991 and have accumulated a lot of "stuff"! I built a yard storage shed so that I could put all the garage junk out there and have the whole garage for my airplane hangar and believe me, it's been filled to the brim. Airplanes hanging here and there, work benches along both sides, with power tools lined up along the whole length. Storage shelves and racks in every available space with even the rafters filled with materials, kit boxes, rolled plans, balsa sheets, whatever I can stuff up there!

Kay once asked me what was normal when it comes to the number of airplanes guys in the hobby have! Normal!!! Whats normal??? I guess you could say that it's more of an obsession than a hobby ( right, skypupnut?) but we love it! Each one has their own idea of what normal is, for him/her!

Kay has often said regarding our hobbies, "I know where Charlie is and what he is doing as he does with me. We each have our own space to do what we like doing, yet are both still close at home with each other! God knows, there are a whole lot worse things that he or I could be off doing but we choose to be home where we can be together, sharing each others interests"

To me this whole thing is much more than a hobby, its a lifestyle and I am so very thankful that I have someone so close to share it with!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 05-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Hi Leslie, if model aircraft interest you, then GO FOR IT! A family that playe together, stays together. This applys even if the hobbies differ.
In my case, my workshop is a tiny hovel about 6 X 10 feet, next to the furnace. My wife of 40 something years interest in aircraft mainly involve wanting to get on one and go somewhere, and her comments on my miniature efforts are more like " I like the color scheme on that one", or " that's nice dear". She does not begrudge me the time I spend down there, because she knows where I am and what I am doing (often nothing)
On the other hand, she has a hobby that takes more talent, and artisitic ability than mine, and has her workshop upstairs in a vacated bedroom. She is a quilter, and the results of her efforts, and that of her coven, never cease to amaze me. It's great when a family can enjoy varied interests without imposing on one another.
Now for a shameless plug. She and others have formed a group called "Quilts of Valor", an organization dedicated to making and donating quilts to members of the Armed Forces of Canada, who have been injured while serving our country.
I support her 110% in this effort, and if you know anyone involved with this effort, I hope you will too!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0

I have to tell you that I've really enjoyed reading the responses to this thread. This kind of response was hardly expected, and obviously some of you took a bit of time to type out your replies. Kudo's to you all.

Today, while the wind is howling outside, I'm helping Guy apply Koveral to the tail feathers of one of his projects. Reading these replies, and other posts in this forum, is a great passtime while we're waiting for the dope to dry. Thankyou everyone!!!

Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
Smile Re: The Sacred Workshop

just looking for a bigger place
small home , large workshop and storage place
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by skypupnut View Post
just looking for a bigger place
small home , large workshop and storage place
That's the way to think skypupnut. I mean, do we really need living rooms???

I know that we would be quite happy in a smaller home. It would require a good sized kitchen and dining area. Most of the rest of it could be shop area; and we will need at least one extra double garage in which to store planes.

This is what the future has in store for my small family. The Sacred Workshop, will be the nucleus of our recreative lifestyle on the homefront. And I will get my own bench! And we will build airplanes! And Guy will probably still crash them! I'm hoping to take the time to be a better pilot.

Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.