Tired of charging my TX! battery HELP! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Re: Tired of charging my TX! battery HELP!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I use a 3 cell lipo in my JR 6102. No regulator, and I charge it fully on a Triton.

I fly infrequently, maybe once a week for a flight or 2. I have charged up my TX maybe 3 times in the past 12 months. I have done this for 2 or 3 years now, and never had a problem.

IN regards to the A123, they will be hard to fit I think.

A Lipo is easy to get in the case, just by the cheapest, biggest 3 cell you can find (that will fit in the TX without making "adjustments" . The draw is nothing like we use in the airplanes, so even an 8C pack will work fine.

The big advantage I find to the lipos is i can sit here today, and decide to charge it up. Once it's done, I take it off, set it aside, and a month or 3 from now, it's still charged up. I used to always forget to charge my TX, or when I did remember, the weather would get all wet, or I'd be too tied up with work to get out to fly. By the time I got out to the field for 20 minutes, the TX would be dead or close to it.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Hi guys -
No, NiMHs don't need or like cycling other than to occasionally check their capacity.
Don't like them in Txs anyway; they self discharge too quickly from one weekend to the next.
But my camera battery pack NiMhs charge up splendidly using my little Triton Jr!
Eight alkalines add up to a max of 12,8V remember, and almost all modern Txs can handle that - many chaps have used 3S1P LiPos with initial voltage of 14,2V dropping to 10,8V or so, the same as A123 chemistry would be, but intelligent charging is problematical.
Shape is a factor - lower 'C' capability LiPos are narrower generally and so fit square formats but 1100mAHr A123s are too tall, and too thick for flat formats although ideal otherwise.
Just my thoughts about a problem that I've mulled over a lot lately. Love A123 technology! Best yet by far.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Originally Posted by David McMillan View Post
Good God am I ever tired of charging my TX.

my NMhi battery SUCKS!

I cycle and cycle, I still have to charge just before I go to the field.
After an hour It starts beeping low Batt. I looked at the price of replacing it but It'd be cheaper to buy a multi-cell Litho or 123.

Anyone have a suggestion for adapting a Lipo or A123 for the Transmitter.

I'm thinking A123 maybe 2 cell with the BERG switched progrmable V-reg which will go up to 12 volts. wrap it all up in shrinkwrap with a balencing lead and VOIOLA!

the TX draws 700ma and the 123 deliver about 3Kma @3.3V right?

SOLID 12 v power for about 3 straight hours??? recharge in 15 mins?

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't do this?
What transmitter are you running? 700 ma seems awfully high. My 7CAP drawis just under 200 ma.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC20(2) & MX12 & MZ-18 & MZ-24
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 11

It too got sick of charging or forgetting to charge my Tx batteries.

I have been using a 2200mah 11.1volt LiPo pack for about six months in two JR 10X transmitters and a 1800mah 7.2volt pack in my MPX Evo 9.

I have left the Tx uncharged for weeks at a time and the voltage drop is negligible. I sometimes fly my e-powered glider for 1.5 to 1.75 hours flights and I used to hate to keep checking my Tx voltage. I would never let it go below 9.6 with the supplied 1100mah NiCd pack. So I switched to a 2500mah NiMh pack. This solved the worry about the amount of flying time but not the self discharge problem.

The only little problem I have is the voltage alarm on my JR is set at 8.9 volts. This is too low for the LiPo packs. I have set the limit in my head to be 10volts. In the flying I have done this year after six or seven flight I have one battery down at 11.4, so I sure don't have a duration problem.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO NiMh or NiCd in my Tx.

The only problem I have found from reading on the internet is with the 2.4Ghz modules. Apparently these modules don't like the slightly higher voltage from the LiPo packs. I have taken a NiMh off pack off a charger and got over 12 volts. My LiPo pack comes off a charge at 12.6.

You can buy LiPo Tx batteries now from a number of sources in the U.S. I get mine on eBay from a couple of companies in H.K. I have paid as little as $15.50 delivered to my door for a 2200mah 11.1v LiPo that I have been using for six months.

I do charge the LiPo pack in the Tx. I use a Multiplex charger set to 500mah charge rate. I have had no problems with swelling or even getting warm let alone hot.

The charge will last for weeks.

To be safe check with the radio manufacture about the voltage limits. But as I indicated above a fully charged NiCd/NiMh pack coming off a charge will be very close to a LiPo. They are not 9.6 when they come off the charger!

Here is a link to a place where I have got some of the Tx LiPo batteries.

Last edited by cloudniner; 06-03-2008 at 12:09 PM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Troy Built Hobbies has Tx LiIon packs for $29.95. They are 1500 mah and I use my fromeco Ion Cube to charge them ...about once a month!

MAAC 9551L-IMAC 3705
Former SA Chairman
Team Great Hobbies
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #16
David McMillan
I am: David M

Total Props: 1
Talking Re: Tired of charging my TX! battery HELP!

Dual Sky (as well as other I'm sure make a 3cell LIPO that fits snuggly into your transmitter.

15 min charges and HOURS and HOURS of full battery life!!!!!

David McMillan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.