Considering Electric for TF Cessna 182 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Total Props: 0
Considering Electric for TF Cessna 182

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am in the process of building a TF C182 and am thinking of going electric with it.
I see that there is a lot of information on how to choose a motor and battery set up
but it all seems very confusing at first glance. Is there any 'ball park' figures as to
what size motor and battery set up to start things off with?
And also, on e-bay I see motors and 'mystery' ESCs for what looks like a resonable price.
Now I do support 'buy from the LHS', but there is a limit and I think that the LHS itself will not think twice about buying foriegn if there is a big enough price advantage. Good for the goose...
Anyway, is there anyone with experience with the e-bay motors and ESCs etc that are shipped from HK?
What am I looking at for prices of a complete set up for this size of model?
I have some time as this will not be ready for power for a while, but I need to make a chioce before too long as to direct the build process.
As can be seen I have no experiance in electrics, so any mentoring will be welcome.
Can I retire now?
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
RCC Contributor

Re: Considering Electric for TF Cessna 182

Ok, dan thats alot of questions, will try to break down.

Q1 - ebay
A1 - i have bought off of ebay and Mystery - which is a brend name. But as u go into bigger motors - u get what u pay for - but smaller ones seem to work good - i have a few. - and have bought a used one off RCCcanada - im using on my cessna 182.

Q2 - for knowing the size of electric motor u will need.
A2 - u can convert the known HP of the gas motor to watts and than convert watts to volts and amps - or u can get a program like "MotoCalc 8", and that will give u alot of info -

Calculations for converting
1 HP = 746 Watts
Volts X Amps = Watts.
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Just checked to see what is out there on electric conversions, nothing on MOtocalc or on a general search, so you're going to have to find equivalent conversions, say for the other aircraft of similar sizes.

I'd certainly check out RCGroups and the electric conversion section. Also take a look here for what people are using for larger models.

I suspect that you don't want warbird power out of your system, which gives you a lot more flexibility, especially if you go with a geared configuration.

You also will need to do a lot of lightening activities to get the heavy out of the airframe (lose weight, not strength) because the electric motors don't subject the airframe to the pounding that you get from an IC engine, plus you need to balance the lose of the 2 pounds or so of weight from the nose that came with the engine.

Another fairly reliable resouce is the websites of the manufacturers (Scorpion, Axi-hobby Lobby, etc.)

A stock kit with the electrics thrown in is doable but you still need quick access to the battery pack and electronics for "refueling".
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

The problem I have with converting the Glow engine horsepower to watts and then trying to match it with an electrc/battery settup, is that Glow/Gas engines are rated at there maximum horsepower and NOT the power that they are operating at with a useable size prop. A better way is the Watts/Pound method -- A scale model of this sort should have about 80 watts/poundof model minimum. So weigh the model or use the estimated finished weight and multipy by 80 and you have the power requirement in watts. For example, if the model weighs (or is estimated) 7 pounds, then you require an electric motor/battery combo that will put out 80 x 7 = 560 watts.
I once calcuilated the power that a O.S. 46 was putting out from thier h.p. graphs, with a standard size stunt type prop, and although the O S 0.46 was rated at 1.40 h.p,, it was actually developing about 0.4 h.p. -- turning about 11000 rpm whereas to develo[pe the 1.4 h.p it would have had to be turning in the order of 24000 rpm.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Try True Northern Hobbies.

I have Electrified a Nextar using one of his BL Motors.
I am also using another motor on my Reactor Bipe.
Credence has good service and reasonable pricing.

VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Alright! I thank you all for these promt and informative replies.
This definatly gives me something to run with.
Can I retire now?
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

10Krpm on a 15X10 means about 2500 watts of power to the prop. This is what a Zenoah 26 gassie would provide. Look at an AXI 53 series or E-Flite 120 and a 2P A123 battery [probably 10S]. The plane will need the nose weight, so go with the A123s, you won't be disappointed. If you do electric, the prop mentioned above won't be right, so you'll have to do some calculating with the programmes to get it close to right. You might find that a 17x14 is right for the plane, no telling 'til you decide on the motor/battery comblo.

Come back here when you decide. Tex.
Tex Gehman, Winnipeg
Slime is Crime
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-16 (was Airtronics SD10G)
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1

I looked up the specs for the Top Flite Skylane 182 81" wingspan and plugged it into MotoCalc with some very generic settings. I've attached the top 4 candidates for you assuming you want to run A123 cells. You'll see there is a wide range of props, each one matched to that motor/cell count combination. NOTE: don't take these as absolute performance predictors, but rather for comparison purposes & to give some possibilities to consider.

Picking the optimal electric drive is not easy, especially for the novice. There are far too many motors out there to pick the "right one" for a particular application. You can get close with rules of thumb and you can experiment, but you won't zero in on the most efficient or effective combo without doing some serious calculations.

I personally would never do a selection without running possibilities through MotoCalc. I haven't made a poor choice yet, even when my selection was opposed by others claiming superior experience or knowledge. MotoCalc is full-featured and there is a learning curve, but well worth the money and the effort to learn it, in my opinion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Neu 1912 MotOpinion Report.pdf (17.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf TowerPro MotOpinion Report.pdf (17.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: pdf Hacker MotOpinion Report.pdf (16.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: pdf Scorpian MotOpinion Report.pdf (16.9 KB, 77 views)
Phelan RC Flying Club - Manotick ON
Rideau Valley Modellers - Kemptville ON
Jeti DS-16
Lovin Giant Scale & trying Jets ...
MAAC 17752L, IMAC 5984
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Sam J

Check this out:

Close in weight but different model..
Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance...
Tracon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.