Hitec Tx and Rx batteries - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Hitec Tx and Rx batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I am trying to find out if the standard charger that came with my Hitec Focus 6 will charge NiMH batteries. The reason I ask is that I had to replace the originals (NICD) and without realising I purchased the NiMH ones for it. The charger states that it is NICD charger. Will it work on the new NiMH batteries or should I get a new charger.

Last edited by Styles21; 06-26-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Styles21 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Hitec Tx and Rx batteries

It will work just fine. However it will probably take longer. Check the mAh ratings of the new battery compared to the old one. Likely the old one was in the range of 600 mAh, while the new one could be 2000 to 2500. It just takes longer to pour in all the electrons, that's all.

also, say goodby to cycling the battery, as NiMh don't like cycling, and get used to flying a lot longer between charges, it takes longer to use up the extra electrons, too.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
RCC Noob

Thanks Dave for your input.

Your numbers are dead on. Could you give me some sort of an idea how long it would take to fully charge them. I know it depends on how depleted they are. 12hr - 36hr ?

The charger says:

Output Tx 10.8V Dc 55ma
Rx 4.8V Dc 55ma

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

At 55 mA, you are putting 55 mAh in every hour. So, if your batteries have a capacity of 2000 mAh, and are completely depleted, it would take 2000/55=36.4 hours. Similarly, a 2500 mAh pack would take 45.5 hours.

Keep in mind that some electricity is lost during charging, so just because your charger puts out 2000 mAh, doesn't mean the full 2000 mAh got stored into your battery.

Keep in mind you won't ever drain those packs to the bottom, but it might be time to start thinking about a computerized charger.

Hope this helps!

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Just to simplify things, I hope this will help.

Typically you have to put in a little over 1.5 times the capacity of a battery to fully charge it from a discharged state due to inefficiencies.

Example, to fully charge a completely discharged 500mah (milliamps per hour) battery, you would have to put in about 750mah.

So, if you have a 50mah charger, and want to charge a 500mah pack, you would have to put in 750mah (500 X 1.5) which would take about 15 hrs (50mah X 15 = 750mah).

If you have a 75mah charger, you would still have to put in 750mah which would take 10 hours (75mah X 10 = 750mah).

Note, you should never completely discharge a battery - it may not take a charge again if it is completely "flat".

Also, some batteries are limited to how fast (that is the mah charge rate they can receive). This rate is usually stated by the battery manufacturer as C/XX ( Capacity divided by XX).

Example, if a 500mah battery has a charge rate stated as C/10, its charge rate would be 500 divided by 10 = 50mah. Charging more than the stated charge rate can damage the battery.

If a battery does not have a stated charge rate, then I always stick to a safe charge rate of 1/10th of its capacity.

Hope this helps. If anyone can make it simpler, please do so.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Thanks guys, you have been a great help !!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.