Need help!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Need help!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi there,

My boyfriend has asked for an RC car for his birthday. I know absolutely nothing about them so I hoping to get some advice from some enthusiasts.

My boyfriend is very much into tuning and modifying cars (specifically Subarus). I am looking to spend $300 - $400 or so to get him set up with something. From what I understand, I should probably go with a Nitro car - but please correct me if I'm off on that assumption.

I am looking for suggestions on what brands are good, what shop I should go to and what vehicles I should look at.

I live in Toronto and willing to commute within the GTA to get what I need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.
nickthestick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Need help!!

Great Hobbies is an online store with a very good selection which would be a good place to comparison shop. Big boys with cool toys is in Mississauga and is a good local place to look. The type of car depends on what he likes more. Are you looking at on road or off road? Does he want to build it himself? Monster truck, car, buggy, truggy, muggy... etc. The size is also important, you can get from 1/36 size to 1/5 size (probably not 1/5 based on your budget though). 1/10 and 1/8 are very popular sizes for both on road and off road.

As to brands, if you want a complete prebuilt set then Traxxas is good for entry level. HPI Racing, Ofna, CEN, Losi, Thunder Tiger, Associated are all good. There's also Tamiya if he wants to build from scratch.

Last edited by waylander; 07-07-2008 at 04:43 PM.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter C
Radio of choice:
JR 9503H
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 2

spend a little more and buy a hpi savage, he will love it.

or a tmaxx

this is also a great little car i love mine, its small and a little cheaper

dont for get you will need fuel a glow drive and some batterys, so he can run it right away
RC is more addictive than Nicotine...........

.............Haven't had nicotine it 9 months but still flying

MAAC #83325

Last edited by petes66; 07-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.
petes66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Look in to A&J Hobby (7 and 400) and RC Sports and Hobby (7 and Martin Grove) lots of selection.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
RCC Noob

Thank you guys for the replies!

Waylander - I was thinking of getting him an already built car since he is new to this and I believe based on his current tastes in car, he would be looking for an on-road car.

Just from my own internet searches -the HPI RS4 Evo+ stuff seems to be something he would be interested in - any thoughts on that?

He isn't into trucks, but really likes tuned cars (Imprezas, Evos, G35, Skyline) so I was hoping to get something with a similar body styling.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
RCC Noob

Hi there,

Maybe to give you a better idea...I was looking at these cars, but still open to suggestions and any reviews on these cars... ....the Subaru is the one I was looking at....are these complete cars? or kits to be built? ....looking at the Nissan Greddy...

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
RCC Noob

I would go to the hobby shop and see what brands they carry and then go from there. Don't buy something that just looks cool. You can buy just about any kind of body for any car afterwards. Buy a brand that has alot of product support so you can buy parts later on if you break something or decide to upgrade parts. Those 2 links are the exact same chassis and engine, just different bodies. HPI makes good products. Also check out the traxxas 4-tec as well. 4-tec is much faster if he's into speed.
squirrelnutz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

As Squrrelnutz suggested definitely look into what the local hobby shops actively stock, that being said since you live in Toronto you should be able to find any model without much trouble. I would personally recommend sticking with either a HPI or Traxxas kit, parts support is typically excellent and both make durable vehicles with lots of optional hopups. If your budget allows you could also pick up a clear Subaru body and paints to match your boyfriends car, then he could take it to meets and such as a "mini me" version of his car
RCC_Jay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
RCC Noob
I am: TC

Originally Posted by nickthestick View Post
Hi there, ....the Subaru is the one I was looking at....are these complete cars? or kits to be built? ....looking at the Nissan Greddy...
First of all, if he's into tuning full-size cars then yes, Nitro is probably the right choice. And for on-road Nitro cars these are good candidates.

There's a review of the HPI Nitro RSA3 EVO RTR here. It was good enough that HPI linked to it from their site It rates high for durability (always good), engine performance, and price. It's aimed at the beginner/intermediate market, which sounds right for a first (RC) car.

An "RTR" (ready to run) car will be complete and assembled, and will include an engine, electronics, and radio equipment. However, it will require some support equipment in order to run, which is not included with most RTR cars because you don't need more than one set. This will include batteries for the radio transmitter, radio receiver and the electric starter, a fuel filler bottle, a glow plug igniter, and several other things. (Note in the review it has a "required items" section). These can push the first-time cost up a bit.

Last edited by tetracanth; 08-08-2008 at 07:02 PM.
tetracanth is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bradley A

i got my 3.3 tmaxx for sale if your interested
Im Alot Faster Then You Think You Are!!
tamyia CR-01
Traxxas Sportmaxx .. TOOO many mods to list

2.2 scale crawler - build started
TLT axles - 4 Link
6 L.E.D headlights
custom truggy tube frame
brad101 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.