is it too late for some rationality or "common" sense? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Re: is it too late for some rationality or "common" sense?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have taken some hits about my posts (none lately), and I have a couple of reasons to post my name; I go by T.Lyttle, 'cuz that's who I am. I hide nothing, including my enthusiasm for models OTHER THAN R/C; many people here see R/C as the be-all and end-all of model building and flying and anything different is to be scorned. Electrics and sailplanes or slopers or CO2 or C/A are deemed by some as "wrong"; that kind of close-minded attitude is closing out some truly great experiences.

I go by T. Lyttle so that anyone can show up in Keremeos and talk to me, see my models, yell at me for my opinions, and you will still get coffee, or a meal, or a place to sleep if need be. Most legitimate modellers I have met work the same way.

I must suppose that Jason reacts after careful checking of previous postings before banishing someone. There are single postings here that I have made that would gotten me banned...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I don't think most have a problem with other forms of the hobby (other than RC I mean), but when people take it too far by criticizing others for their personal direction in the hobby, then its just too much and the arguments start.

Unfortunately, most people don't know everyones history in the hobby, but I will bet a lot of us have tried a lot of aspects of it over the years, but have settled on one area.

For me RC aerobatics (exclusively electric powered now) is the stuff, its my passion and what I like doing....buuuuttttt, I have flown sailplanes, competed in pylon, even built some scale models, helicopters etc......I started with a cox PT-19, and did the whole CL thing a bit....have done indoor free flight with Orville Olm years back in Saskatoon....and even flown indoor CL rubber power lol

So when someone comes on a forum and flaps their yap that I am closed minded (and I am not saying you are doing it, just giving an example) because I fly RC only today, it is irritating......usually I just laugh at it, but sometimes I am guilty of feeding the trolls as well.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #23
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 0

Oh thats dead on the nail Chad..your pretty bright to me on Team Pumpkin i must say
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick G
Radio of choice:
DX8 & DX3C
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 7

I've followed this thread on and off. I haven't posted because i have a strong insight as to defining "trolling". If you are out to flat out to irritate people as i seen with the guy bugging LGM for no reason. I don't see a need for that.

...but if you remember it was talked about here ( ) as some old members changed their names in an attempt to redeem themselves with a fresh start.

No problem, but as i was unfortunately caught up i a situation with someone who once had a spree of bad deals though if i knew that before dealing with this new user i'd have never delt with them.

Like any human, it is our nature to be adgitated and get on this new users butt, because this or any person(s) getting harassed on forums doesn't take away they might be decent people but some just shouldn't be buying/selling.

There is a huge difference in this hobby to build and to buy/sell/trade. There is the art of the hobby and the sales person. Some are in it to see if they can make money some are in it because they have a love for it.

Without going into further detail there are just some people that bring the worst out in us, can we control it? Of course but me for one, i get very annoyed that people hide behind their screens thinking they can rip anyone off.

So to so easily define trolling isn't an easy task. I as many people around here do use this site to "chat" get to know eachother and ask/learn new things.

I wouldn't concern myself about trolling, concern ourselves about keeping safe from fraud and making sure we as a community watch out for eachother when it comes to especially buying and or selling. Personally i've been robbed twice and scammed 3 times to date.

I've stopped visiting rccanada and buying/selling as often because lately i find saying nothing around here is sometimes better and avoids anyone talking about my post count as if it's a competition (Something i have yet to figure out). If someone is bugging you or see something you don't like report the post, i've found even though Jason works alone it seems he does look into it quickly.

Just my 2 cents
b0r3d is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #25
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5

I tried to keep quiet but I have to say this, if that person is French as he proclaimed, I sincerely apologize and I feel sorry for him, most of us are good people, sometimes even good pilots (I'm not that good). I was born in Quebec but moved to Ontario quite a few years ago, if you ever attended Quinte jet rally, you would have met a large number of French jet pilots, all were eager to help, regardless of your nationality and I'm sure that if you attended any event in Quebec, not just jet rallies, you would be very welcome.
There are always exception, no matter where you go.
Gaston B.
Hanmer On.
gbjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Flaming and/or Trolling has had some serious consequenses, even here on RCC. I know at least 3 people, good folks who always contributed to posts, helping others to overcome tech problems, or adding their years of experience to a discussion, which not only helps the individual making a quarry but to all of us who follow such great posts/discussions. These 3 people, a couple who still view RCCanada, but will no longer comment/post because of the abuse of Trolls. The other one has just gone, and no longer will come to this site. This is a shame and a terrible loss for all of us who can no longer partake of their help, experience & generosity!

Andrew, the person who started this thread, is someone who most of us regulars/oldies to this site know as a person of honor. Someone who has continueally gone out of his way to help others .. just a very good man and friend to all who would ask his help, and someone, for the most part, who normally wouldn't say anything bad about anyone, a proven generous man! For Andrew to have found it necessary to start this thread and ask the title question of this post, must have truly felt sick at heart as to the way things are/have gone on this site.

Andrew, I say thank you my friend. Thank you for thinking things out and taking the steps that you have by writing this post rather than just saying " Enough is enough, I'm out of here, goodbye!" The good RCCanada is a result of good folks like you who work to see things corrected rather than just taking the easy course and simply just disappearing to never be seen or heard from again. We need you here - and we need all the other good folks who have been affected by the few who would rob all of us our joy of this site. Thank you for staying to continue to be a positive influence here on this site!

I firmly agree with Andrew on treatment of Trolls. Fighting, bickering, name calling etc etc only drags the positive aspects of RCC down. If we take Andrew's advise and just totally ignore Flamers and Trollers then there will be no fuel for their fire. They will get tired of just talking to themselves and receiving NO response and will simply just go away.... or if reported enough will be forced to go away, as was the case mentioned earlier in this thread.

I love this site and like Andrew, have met and made many good friends whom I wouldn't have otherwise met and come to know and befriended. Lets just be determined to build on the positive and ignore or report the negative. That way we all continue to gain. The only loosers will be those cause disruption and discontent.....and all I can say to them is "Good Ridance!"

Thank you all for listening to my 2 cents worth! ( hmm, well maybe it was more like 4 cents worth, but thanks again!)
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
Dennis 9412
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
Thank you all for listening to my 2 cents worth! ( hmm, well maybe it was more like 4 cents worth, but thanks again!)
Jeez Gary, I was beginning to think you were getting paid by the word!! (He He!!)

By the way, did you even get to fly that Aeroworks Yak you were building before you sold it?
Dennis DuBois
MAAC 9412L
IMAC 3821
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.