Next step from a high wing trainer? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Next step from a high wing trainer?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Any advise to move up from my LT-25?

I would like to built.

Metro is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2
Re: Next step from a high wing trainer?

A sig four star would be a good choice.
bjon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Sheena M

I agree!............................................ .............(dots are for length of message)
ss40a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

My first low winger was a Sig Astro Hog (are they still available??). It is a real builder's kit, lots of shaping and sanding. Very strong plane, very good flyer (for sport aerobatics, not going to 3D or anything "modern") and with its ample dihedral and modest control surfaces, a real pussycat.

I had 3 or 4 different engines in mine, but a nice 60 to 80 four stroke would be excellent as a 2nd-ary trainer up from a high wing.

I also recommend the 4* line, they fly well and are not difficult to handle either, and the build would be MUCH faster (also come in ARF form).

Into the modern era of fun fly type planes, I would also suggest trying something like a Sig Fazer - can be very maneuverable if the throws are set for it, but with a very low wing loading - with reduced rates and a modest setting on the throttle (ie dont try and fly around at full) it can really be a great trainer. And just increase the throws and fly it "harder" as your skills improve.

The most important thing, take off and landings, can be done at a walking pace.

Thats my buck-fifty!

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: Next step from a high wing trainer?

SIG 4 star particularly if you like to build...........IMO
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

The Astro Hog is a good flying plane.
Looks great and has a fairly low wing loading.
It can be built as a trike or a tail dragger or made to be convertable.

Yes it is still available.
Here is the write up on it.

This is the legendary model that got R/C aerobatics off the ground in 1957. As the first successful low-wing R/C model, it swept 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place in R/C aerobatics at the 1958 National Championships, and pioneered the unlimited aerobatic capability we take for granted today. Obviously the Astro-Hog is no longer competitive with today's high-tech pattern ships, but it does offer the modern sport flier amazing aerobatic performance in a super stable, easy-to-fly model. The Astro-Hog will perform any maneuver in the book, yet flies slow enough to let you enjoy it! So gentle, some people have used it as a primary trainer. Ideal for 4-Stroke engines.

The Astro-Hog is a premium quality Sig kit and features: all balsa and ply construction that is light and strong; precision die-cut or sawn parts; detailed full-size plans; photo-illustrated instruction book; semi-symmetrical NACA-2415 airfoil for aerobatics and gentle stall characteristics; responsive strip ailerons; bolt-on wing mounting; trike or tail dragger landing gear (tail dragger gear not included, order part # SIGRPCK255); molded headrest; aluminum engine mounts; and complete hardware package including Sig Easy Hinges, pushrods, control horns, and links.

Last edited by Ken Currell; 07-16-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brad F
# of RCs: 15

Sig Kavalier, Sig Mid Star 40, CARL GOLDBERG
Mid Star 40, GREAT PLANES Rapture 40 Kit, TOP FLITE Contender 30th Anniv Edition
Pulse xt 40 O.S 46ax Macs tune pipe, Showtime 50 Saito 82, Rapter 22 O.S 55ax, Fun 51 Saito FA 56, Tiger 2 Webra s40, PT-19 K&B 61, Twist 40 Saito Fa82, SPAD Demon, Tango Fa82, Harmond rocket Saito Fa 82, P38 Profile twin, DeHavilland Beaver - 6', Tribute 36 Saito Fa 56
Fa82showtime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

4* was my second plane and I loved it. If your budget is tight build a spad. It sure reduces the pucker factor

Have fun. George

Pucker factor (Urban dictionary)

A term used to describe the tightness of your sphincter following a close call. Some as yet unidentified factors are high enough to cause discomfort as you must take an appreciable amount of time to remove from your butt that what you were sitting on.
Almost laying down my bike around that corner had a pucker factor of 7.
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084

Last edited by g-manz35; 07-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
homme de fer
RCC Contributor
I am: Marc A

This is always a very subjective issue. I was looking for a more capable low wing airplane and read some really good reviews on the Hanger-9 Pulse XT60. It is very similar to the Sig Four Star but seems to have a more up-to-date look.

I have to say, the thing takes-off and lands like my Eagle 2; not at all like I thought it would be. It is a real floater. The plane is also quite aerobatic and will do the Basic IMAC routine very well. Overall, it is very confidence inspiring which is what you need when stepping up from the high wing trainers

Personally, since all the planes itemized in this thread are great 2nd planes with similar strengths and flaws, it all comes down to what plane looks the best. I don't think you'll go wrong regardless of your pick.

homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

I recomend the Goldberg Tiger 2; available in kit or arf

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.