Funny engine story with a purpose... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Funny engine story with a purpose...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, here is one that had me stumped for a few nminutes...

Last night I was out flying with my friend Dan. He has a scratch built pattern type plane with a new O.S. FS-81a in it (a very sweet running engine). On his first fight, the engine was running really well untill about 5 minutes in, it slowed down and quit. The engine didnt sound like it had died from fuel starvation, nor did it sound like it was sagging/quit from overheating (my first thought was OH NO since I had set the needles and should know what I am doing).

Dead sticked in, and we tried to get it going. Lots of fuel, and fuel was getting to the engine. Good plug (but we swapped for a new one anyhow), and good compression. It would just not run at ANY throttle setting on the transmitter. If I primes it, and turned it over it would bump. but it would just not "go". I tried opening up the low and high speed with no improvement.

Finally, after about 10 minutes I decided to bend down and have a look at the throttle arm (it is in a semi cowled side mounted installation and the throttle can not be clearly seen). Sure enough, the throttle ball link had popped off and the arm went to the fully closed position. Doh! That explained everything and once the ball link was replaced everything was fine.

Sometimes, the easiest answer is not so easy - when you are not expecting it to happen.

Live and learn!

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Funny engine story with a purpose...

I remember chasing one for a whole day. New guy has a trainer that did something similar engine gradually lost power. Nothing appeared wrong and the throttle action showed fully open and closed. When restarted it ran fine until about half way through the flight then it slowly lost power again. After all day of fiddling with it he mentions this started since he replaced the throttle arm screw when he lost the original. Upon inspection he used a standard thread instead of metric and had just enough bite that the throttle lever would operate the barrel but loose enough to allow the barrel to vibrate slowly closed. Of course returning the throttle setting to low or off reset the barrel until it slowly rotated closed again. Had us stumped for a while.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

One of the worst ones I had was a piece of dandilion fluff that got into the needle valve.

Everything would run at idle, but under full power the fluff would compress and starve the fuel flow and of course the fluff was invisible when wet.

Found it when I took the carb apart for cleaning.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Funniest one I had was on my Saito 72, the o-ring is friction fit in the head and vibrated out along the carb riser causing an air leak. Fully cowled, I could neither observe nor expect it.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.