Great Planes Yak 54 3D ARF - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Carl Layden
RCC Contributor
I am: Carl Layden

Total Props: 0
Great Planes Yak 54 3D ARF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great Planes Yak 54 3D ARF

Manufacturers Specs:
Wingspan: 41 in
Wing Area: 356 in²
Weight: 24-27 oz
Wing Loading: 9.7-10.9 oz sq/ft
Fuselage Length: 38 in

Requires: 4-channel radio with 4 micro servos; RimFire™ 35-30-950 out-runner (GPMG4590) or Ammo™ 24-33-4040 in-runner (GPMG5165) brushless motor; 24 mm gear drive with 4.5:1 gear ratio (GPMG0505); 25 amp brushless ESC (GPMM1820); 3-cell 1250-2100mAh LiPo battery; and LiPo-compatible charger.

Set-up as flown:
Motor: Turnigy TR 35-30C 1100kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
Batt: 3S1P 2250 Mah LiPo
Prop: Topflite 12x5 wood
Servos: Hitec HS-55
Rx: Spektrum AR6200
Tx: JR 8103 w/Spektrum Module

The GP Yak is a good quality ARF that assembles quickly. Following the instruction booklet it took me about 10 hours to assemble. The model is very lightly built it is susceptible to hanger rash so be careful during assembly.

Changes I recommend from the manual:

- Use Velcro or a balsa sticks to prevent battery from moving forward or aft. The battery should not be able to move once strapped in place.
- Tail feathers, several online forums say the tail feathers will break in flight. Note that these failures occurred when the plane was powered well above manufacturers recommendation. Knowing this I used some Kevlar thread to re-enforce the tail. Thread the Kevlar through the vertical & horizontal surfaces much like flying wires would be arranged. A drop of CA at each hole will secure the Kevlar.
Canopy – The manual suggests using clear tape (scotch) to hold down the canopy…like wearing socks in sandals. A little 2-way tape will keep the canopy on and the tape is hidden.

After completing a range check, and preflight of controls I hand-launched the Yak. A slight underhand toss was all it needed; it didn’t really need the toss.

A couple clicks of down thrust, one click right aileron was all that was needed to have it flying straight and level.

Low-rates are good for general sport flying and most aerobatic maneuvers. I suggest using the 3D rates only when flying 3D. Full deflection of 3D controls in normal flight will cause the aircraft to snap. The Yak can perform any aerobatic maneuver possible. It easily hovers with the motor combination used and will accelerate up out of the hover.

Wind (up to 20 kph) doesn’t seam to affect the planes performance. It penetrates well and doesn’t bounce around in a breeze.

Overall I would recommend the Yak to pilots with some aerobatic experience. It’s a balsa park flyer that performs like glow powered planes much bigger. If you are looking for a park flyer that has excellent performance and quality the Yak 54 3D ARF might be for you.

Equipment Purchased From:
Signal Hobbies
- Yak 54 3D ARF
- Hitec HS-55 Servos

Hobby City
- Turnigy TR 35-30C
- Turnigy Plush 25amp Speed Controller

Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak54.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	35904  
Carl Layden

Golf : WHACK! F!
R/C Flying: F! WHACK!
Carl Layden is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.