hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Be Safe

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am sure most of us are very safety concious especially when flying or in the pits. Somewhere along the line you will let your guard down or do or not do what you know you should.This is not a message to get sympathy from my peers but as a warning .Please don't let it happen to you. What started as a reasonable flying time to day ended in a very bad situation and could have even caused death. Mine.I was flying alone not the best of ideas but in a small club usually the norm. I had changed some linkages on my yellow funtana and after fueling up did a radio check on surface control. Both ailerons needed adjusting,removed all fuel from plane adjusted surfaces manually and returned plane to right side up and refueled. Now this plane has a 125 Saito in it that starts so easily,except for today.After checking glow reading on my control panel and adjusting it to be a little hotter it still wouldn't start. I now decided it was flooded and advanced the throttle a little still no start so advanced it a little more.At no time thinking of any danger. WRONG.PLANE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TETHERED anchored or whatever to keep me safe. I have other planes I wouldn't even consider starting with out tethering them. This will be my new flight policy to tether all planes or have a safety man holding plane firmly
Engine burst to life and before I could shut the throttle down I had been hit atleast twice. Total of 67 stitches the one on my arm so close to an artery the doctor said could have been really bad. The ones to my leg look like bear claw marks (not sure how that happened) close to damaging the tendons.
I survived and will fly again,if nothing else let me be a bad example as what not to do a warning to others that this could happen any time to anyone.

I would like to thank the volunteer rescue squad From Floredale Ontario for their speedy response Also the police officer from Waterloo Regional Police force that went out of his way to secure my planes etc until we could return to collect them (He had to walk through or along side a corn field for about 1/2 Km and climb a fence to get to our pit area as I had locked the gate on my way out

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Be Safe

Yep,

Sorry to hear it happened to you. Nevertheless, it will never happen to you again.
Unfortunately for newbies, the saying " it will never happen to me" will always be there.
Very interesting that it was only a 125 engine. However, mine was only a .40 and the prop went straight thru my arm . 5 inches of it !!
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
jpmodels
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Sorry for your injury. Thanks for your sense to post it as a reminder.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
WillyT
RCC Apprentice

Having had worked in heavy industry and being a highschool shop teacher I have observed that accidents occur usually, when someone doing something they know is wrong. I have seen people trying to drill a piece of metal held between the fingers, props being spun with bare fingers, engines started within inches of the crotch without the use of tie downs on the tail of the plane. The question is not what you are going to do to prevent incident re-occuring to you, it's, what are you going to do to prevent your friends and fellow flyers from hurting themselves? Maybe walk over and hold that tail or make sure that plane is tied down. We fly together, we workout aircraft problems together, why not be safe together?
WillyT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyT View Post
Having had worked in heavy industry and being a highschool shop teacher I have observed that accidents occur usually, when someone doing something they know is wrong. I have seen people trying to drill a piece of metal held between the fingers, props being spun with bare fingers, engines started within inches of the crotch without the use of tie downs on the tail of the plane. The question is not what you are going to do to prevent incident re-occuring to you, it's, what are you going to do to prevent your friends and fellow flyers from hurting themselves? Maybe walk over and hold that tail or make sure that plane is tied down. We fly together, we workout aircraft problems together, why not be safe together?
Could not have been said better
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I am very sorry to hear of your accident. As you have said, as painful as it is, it could have been much worse!!

Its really too bad that it takes such a serious occurance to show people the true dangers of such habbits as flying alone! The occasional friendly reminder brings such responses as: "Most of the time I can only get out to fly in off hours when nobody else is there." OR: " We have a small club and often no one else shows up." I've even heard "I perfer to fly alone!" Had you indeed cut an artery, you wouldn't have been here to tell us your experience!

As for the use of tie downs and safety devices to hold your plane, they too are not fool proof! I personally was using such a devise while starting my G26 gasser. The plane unnoticeably inched back while flipping the prop and when the engine finally started, it lunged forward the 6" of slack with the 16" APC prop catching my left wrist and necessatating having approx 20 stitches to close the wound. ALWAYS have someone help you hold the plane. (Which, by the way, is impossible if you're flying alone!)

And a previous poster is absolutely correct. I have too often heard someone after a careless accident say: "Geez, I don't know what I was thinking, I know better than that!" Yep, the ole, it won't happen to me, attitude!

Its amazing how ones life can change in an instant of time! One second of inattention can take weeks of pain to heal. It certainly is a life altering experience to say the least!

Well, my friend, I am happy that you are here to tell the tale and I do wish you a speedy recovery. And regards to all the individuals that came to your aid when you needed them. There are a lot of good people in the world, thank goodness.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
Don M.

Flying alone is not the problem. Not taking ALL safety precautions is. I fly in a club that at present has about 4 active members and if I needed someone there to fly I would never fly. I WILL NOT allow someone else to hold my plane when I start it. Been there, done that and never again. I will however ALWAYS have my plane tethered when I start it. I trust a mechanical device much more than one with a "wandering brain".

My tether device is a ground stake designed and constructed to fetch up a 70 lb. Pit Bull at full tilt.

Last edited by Don M.; 07-28-2008 at 05:16 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

People slow down instead of being in so much in a hurry there wouldnt be so many trips to the Hospital

Glad i wasnt there.. see way to many accidents

And i rather have a friend i trust then any mechanical advice hold my airplane.. but then. i dont start airplanes with a throttle crank up like so many people for somereason love to do..just a matter of time chop chop chop
Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Sparhawk
RCC Contributor

I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
14MZ
# of RCs: 10

A tether is always a good idea, and yes, if a slack rope is allowed to creep in, in can still bite you, but will prevent real damage as an unchecked plane would.

Some clubs have a "no fly alone" policy, and I fully endorse it. It is like swimming or diving, you just don't do it because accidents do happen and your chances of survival drop like a rock when you are alone. Besides, I get no enjoyment going to a field and flying alone. I find it incredibly boring when I can't sit and shoot the breeze with someone. Yes, I get flights in, but I hate catching myself talking to myself......

Don, you will have to come out to ASRCM and join us some day. It's a hop skip and jump from HRCC if you come up through the Hardwoodlands.

Dan
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Don, don't get me wrong. I still use a safety hook, post, tether line etc whatever the proper term is for such devices...but I still ask someone to hold my plane for me, which most club members are happy to do, and likewise.

Also, I don't mean to be contradictory and you can use all the excuses you want, but in my opinion, I still say that it is never a good idea to fly alone- ever!! Had the person, who is the topic of this thread, cut an artery, as he says he was very close to doing, he probably wouldn't have still been with us today as no one was there to give him immediately help.

I know, many feel:....IT'S MY LIFE and MY choice...right? But it's pretty darn selfish for anyone to think that they are the only one who will face the consequence for making a poor decision. They can be very devistating, not to just the victom, but to his club, his friends and the family who is left behind to deal with matters....alone!

Safety first, & always! Think safe, fly safe, be safe & have fun!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in