I crashed and hanging head in shame :) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Matthew Smerdon
Radio of choice:
Aroura 9
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
I crashed and hanging head in shame :)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I spent Friday night putting a receiver in and charging batteries for a plane I hadn't flown since early spring. So, I checked nothing was warped, all control surfaces moved in the right direction, and made sure the engine mounting bolts were still tight. Next day, I go to the field do a range check, fuel up, check control surface direction again, then started the engine, carried the plane to the flight line, check the control surface movement yet again. Started my usual long take off run with the normal amount of rudder to track straight. The plane lifted in the air in a scale like fashon then it suddenly rolled inverted I was quick to correct but the plane was slow to respond and believe me there was more than ample aileron throw. Ended up catching a wing tip breaking the wing off before the fuse hit the ground.

After picking up the pieces looking over the damage not much. I start to look for the cause of the roll. First, took the transmitter for a range check set it on the ground atenna collasped walked backed to the plane started moving it around, tapping this and that tring to make the servoes glitch, checked that the throttle was set to idle and started the engine still nothing, brought the Tx back checked the voltage on the Tx/Rx that was fine, this ruled out it being a radio problem. Next, I took a good look over the air frame looking for any sign that there was pre crash damage. The only thing that looked out of place was the ball link on the rudder was stripped off the threaded end of the push rod. Given that if the rod pulled out of the ball link a little then when the control was neutralled it would still have right rudder input which is the same direction and look of a rudder roll, since I was on take off the elevator input helped to increase the roll rate. Cause of crash solved .

I always do a pull test when I make push rods and now I'll be doing it alot more often.

Even though I know the cause of the crash I'm still ashamed that it was my Eagle 2, I had taken out to do some climb and glide with.

M. Smerdon
M.A.A.C. 38451
RCFlyingKnight is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5
Re: I crashed and hanging head in shame :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of a plane, but great story , and a reminder to all of us to do inspections from time to time on our equipment. weather it's new, our every day flyier or coming out of the hanger for the first time in years.

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Re: I crashed and hanging head in shame :)

I think that we can all be accused of what you went through , maybe even more than once for some . I think , that when you think that everything is covered , there is always something else that would pop up . We are always updateing out S. O. P. , or P. F.C. L.

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.