Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Karl C.
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Re: Unionville Tiger Moth

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So here's the scoop on the Moth. I talked to the aircraft designer at Unionville Hobby Supply. Dihedral for top wing is 2.5 degrees and bottom is 4 degrees. Seems a bit much to me, but you can't argue with the guy who designed the aircraft. As far as engine size goes, the prototype was flown with a .56 four-stroke. They say a .70 would be just fine for floats.

ace mcfee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

Hey Ace: In your original post you were talking about incidence and in your last you mention dihedral settings. I hope you are not getting the two mixed up. The settings may be good for dihedral (I don't know for sure), but sound like really bad settings for incidence.
Best Regards
Bob.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor

Hi Bob:

You're right, I meant to say incidence not dihedral. One of those pesky senior seconds. I did, however, specifically ask Unionville for top and bottom wing incidences when I talked to them and they said "top wing 2.5 degrees and bottom wing 4.0 degrees". As I indicated previously, this seemed excessive to me. Maybe they gave me the dihedral in error. Anyway, the plane is built and ready to fly. With no adjustment on the kit settings, the top wing came out at plus 1.0 degrees and the bottom wing is 2.5 degrees positive. Somehow this sounds close. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how the test hop goes.

Ace

Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #14

Total Props: 57

so.... how did it go????
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

Hi Guys,
Just for giggles, have ordered the Unionville Tiger for a winter project and am going to 'electri-fly it' not necessarily the brand though. has anybody out there heard of anyone doing it previously? I have a good idea of how I'm going to attack it but any input would be greatly appreciated. Built and flew the J2 Cub 14 years ago and really enjoyed it. Also any input regarding scale details for this kit would be appreciated.
rcgeorge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

Hey RCGEORGE. You should pay a visit to the Toronto Aerospace Museum. They have a Tiger Moth there that was built there in 1942 when it was the de Havilland Canada factory. It served as a trainer (of course) out in Manitoba and was then neglected for years until being restored by a chap from California who donated it to the museum. It would certainly be a great reference as you scale out your model. You could even copy the numbers etc. and have a model of a plane that actually exists.
Best Regards
Bob.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

Hi Bob, My uncle here in the kootenays has a 1:1 scale tiger that I'm planning on using. I've got some time on his, as well as a couple of them in Ontario, and flew a Chipmunk for a few years in Ottawa. (which will be next winter's project).
Has anybody figured out the upper wing attachment not using elastics? I'm thinking of doing a 'structural' fuel tank strap. any other ideas?
My kit should be in by the end of the week, so cant wait to get started!
If anybody has any other recommendations or things I should watch out for that would be greatly appreciated
cheers
Rob
rcgeorge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor

Well, the Moth flew like a dream...two clicks down and one click left aileron and it was hands off. Can't wait to put it on floats with the larger engine. I expect pretty much the same performance.

Ace
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
PS MAN
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bruce W

Unionville Tiger Moth Saito 80 = perfect combination IMHO

Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
PS MAN
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bruce W

ace mcfee,

Glad to hear your Moth flys so well.........they're a great bird! It should be great on floats. What engine are you going with when on floats?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in