relaxed radio impounds - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #61
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Re: relaxed radio impounds

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You're never this aggressive Andrew, what gives?
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #62
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Hughes500E View Post
You're never this aggressive Andrew, what gives?
Not being aggressive IMO. Just stating my opinion, and I thought pretty clear and to the point.

For example, take the post where the fellow says

"I was at the club field a couple of weeks ago & upon arriving & went to frequency board & saw that there were 3 MAAC cards & 3 frequency pins removed. I saw 4 people flying & my first concern was who was not pinned out. I spent 4 or 5 minutes to find before I would pin not knowing who was flying without pinning out. I found out it was somebody on 2.4. nuff said. Bob"

What exactly does that mean? That because a flyer took it upon his/her self to not bother to place a pin on the board - in order to let the other's know he/she is flying - that for some reason 2.4 radios are bad?

This whole thread started about asking whether or not 2.4 radios should be impounded for safety reasons. Simply put, they do not. Many of us who have been to some major events and have seen how things can work effectively have stated that not impounding the 2.4 radios has nothing but a beneficial affect. Yet there will be MANY people who will continue to blame all kinds of NON RELATED issues on this. Thats all.

WHatever works for your club, do it. I will stay clear of this thread.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #63
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Here is my opinion and my opinion only. Take it for what it is.

2.4 is meant to be a care free set up regarding frequency. This means you do not need to pin a frequency before flying. It also means you can not be shot down by an unknowing youngster showing up at a flying field with a foamy on your frequency.

Flight control and number of fliers is controlled by the number of flight stations not by a "FREQUECY BOARD" and/or pin. If you do not have flight station, then your field is not set up according to MAAC. The number of radios out and/or on does not mean the number of people flying. People have radios in the pits to set up, check/test and prepare for flight, not just flying.

Many TX's are capable of 2.4 and 72mhz. Mine is. When I use 2.4 I follow the care free avenue. When I use 72mhz (I think I have one plane left on 72mhz) then I follow the 72mhz guidelines. If people think that by impounding 2.4 they will control 72mhz, they are mistaken. Even when 2.4 did not exist, the impound was never foolproof. So regardless of impounding 72 and/or 2.4 there will always be the one guy that does not impound and then shoot someone down.

I am sure it will not be long until 72 is banned. Just like when radios were switched from wide band to narrow. Remeber the gold sticker you needed on your radios to show they were narrow band? Then all this talk of impund vrs no impound will be talked about like "remeber when we needed to impound our radios?".

So to make a long story short. We should use 2.4 for what it is and we control number of fliers by flight stations.
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #64
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2

This whole thread started because one member is concerned about relaxed radio impounds.

Have a great weekend!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #65
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

Our board is there for two reasons... to assure the other non-2.4 pilots that there is some kind of control and not having someone disturbing other pilots screaming who has not pinned out,as Andrew stated..

and also to show the other pilots that the 2.4 pilots have a VALID club and/or MAAC membership. Even if all pilots were on 2.4, they would still require a pin to place their VALID cards on the board, and with the slow transition to those not willing to convert, it will be quite a lonnnnnnng time before the frequency board will be redundant for channels.

End of point.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26

Last edited by ronnieo; 08-28-2008 at 10:05 AM.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #66
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
That's interesting Jim. What do they do with the 72 mhz guys that have both synthesized tx and synthesized Rx?
I'd be one of those guys. You remind everyone with synth setups that if they want to change freq's, they need to do so at the impound, and get everything squared away as to what freq they are now on.

Fortunately, I've never had the need to change to another channel at a meet.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.