Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: Andris F
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Boundless Stupidity

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think Ed got it bang on...and if you need an umbrella to fly then there is no way you should be flying!
chevelledude13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Douglas S

Total Props: 3
Thumbs up Re: Boundless Stupidity

Good day Gents,

While I don't know Ed from adam, He did get his point across very well and had be posted something more "Politically" correct, you or I, might have not have given it a second look. I

I for one miss the days when you just got your A$$ kicked if you made a mistake, you would learn from it and then move on. The photographer did his job, I would have thought the editors of the magazine would recognize a hazardous condition and think twice about publishing it as an example. Doesn't mean we have to follow it, goes to that "If your friend jumped of the bridge" would you? The good news is someone noticed it and took the time to comment. I personnally don't fly in the rain, but I am a bit of a sissy..:0)

PS: I can understand why some take offecnce to his comments, no one likes to be called an idiot, but I believe we all take a turn at it to a degree from time to time... some just like to but in line.:0)

All the best

Douglas (AKA Riverdancer)
Riverdancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0

I gave a lot of thought to my post. I meant every word of it. I make no apologies and will make no retractions.

Others should think before they type. We had Mr Clarke claiming that umbrellas and ponchos were used to keep transmitters dry whilst flying, as shown in the pictures. 'V6Goose" claimed that there was no rain during flying periods. These two notables should have got together and got the stories straight. After all THEY WERE THERE!

Richards plea for safety and the danger of flying in inclement weather in the "President's Report" was totaly justified. I sincerely hope he wrote that after he attended the event and was desperately trying to get a point across. If he wrote it before and his presence condoned the activity, his words are meaningless.

I have competed in many contests, too numerous to count. These include local events, Canadian National Championships, American National Championships and six World Championships in other countries. They all had one thing in common. Without exception, without question, when the rain started the flying stopped. It is that simple.

Well, it is that simple to those of us who do more than pay just lip service to safety.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick G
Radio of choice:
DX8 & DX3C
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 7

i agree with you Ed. Safty before all else. Put on a show during the rain adds fuel to the fire. The pilots may feel confident they can do it but there IS without question an ADDED risk flying in the rain. I don't care if they waterproof their radio or electronics. Planes can be rebuilt, people aren't so easy to rebuild.

I believe 110% if weather isn't good, don't fly it wont kill you to sit back and let it pass or wait another day. Save your plane and you did your part for the added safty of the people watching!

Just my two cents
My Heli's & Planes
mCX2 | CX2 | 1SQ | MQX | mCPX BL | T-Rex 450SE V1 & V2 | T-Rex 500CF (x2) | T-Rex 600 | Goblin 770 |

My Cars & Trucks
Ken Block WR8 Flux

My Most Wanted
Goblin 500 & 700 | Compass 7HV | T-Rex 550 | Extra 260
b0r3d is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

He was just trying something new Something like this:

desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20

Hey Ed, you are absolutely 100% right on. It's too bad political correctness is more important than the big picture. Thanks for not fluffing it up. You have nothing to appologise for. Walking the walk and talking the talk are two different things. We here about safety, safety, safety, but it is meaningless without enforcement. Both at a National and Local club level. Don't appeal to common sense, because it's not that common.

It is also a fact, that what appears to be the truth, usually is the truthe to the perceiver. People see pictures and read articles. This is not the first time the "maac" magasine, and whoever at maac approved it for publication, showed poor judgement and allowed it to go to press without review. I refer back to the hovering pictures with a pilot beside the plane, not beside the safety barriers, in prior publications.

A couple years ago I cautioned MAAC on some of this stuff and cautioned them about insurers "perception" of the risk they are carrying. Since 9/11, insurers review all aspects of the risks they carry.

Don't anyone be surprised if inj the near future, MAAC can't: 1) find a carrier for the memberships liability coverage, or 2) have the premiums triple and/or 3) have premiums double or triple and have a 10,000 or $25,000 deductible that clubs/maac/or members may be responsible for in the event of a claim.

It will get to this if there are not some serious changes shortly.

Back to flying in the rain. Can you spell lightning?
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

If you were required to pass an exam on the MAAC Safety Code there could be some very embarassed individuals.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
\American National Championships and six World Championships in other countries. They all had one thing in common. Without exception, without question, when the rain started the flying stopped. It is that simple.

Ed S
Ed, you F3D guys are sissies! They make us F3A guys fly in the rain at the US Nats and Worlds!!!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor

What did every one do before MAAC coverage. ?????
Have a great day!!!
popcan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by popcan View Post
What did every one do before MAAC coverage. ?????
They probably spent more time flying because they didn't have discussion forums to discuss life's most important issues......i.e. safety and MAAC.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.