no insurance? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
no insurance?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
just curious if we lost our insurance at the flying field how many people would still fly.
reason i,m asking is i have worked in the insurance industry and have seen first had people and strata titled buildings lose there insurance because of to many claims.
would you seek out personal insurance to cover just yourself?
how would it afect your flying.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: no insurance?

Step aside the known, criminal mafia, and make room for the stronger mafia (the government). Step aside a little further back to make room for the insurance industry mafia, firmly in second power to the government. Sorry modern day mafia; your in third place, and going downhill.

Yes, I would fly if some sinister, second rate insurance company cancelled our coverage. Why not, someone else would help us out, and swallow up the enormous premium's we pay the money rapists who cover us now.

Let them cancel. Who needs them.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2

Hmmm, that is an interesting reply!

I have only one thing to say, let's just hope that never happens!
Hughes500E is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

considering the fact that you're not technically covered flying anywhere but your house or a club field I think people fly uninsured all the time.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

You're only insured at your house if you have warning signs posted, pilot stations marked, fences, etc.

Aside from the odd funfly, I'm never insured. I do hope to join a club though, maybe next year.
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

the "club field" is almost never owned by the club.More and more it is the land owner who is demanding the insurance coverage whcih is understandable since he is likely to get sued along with everyone else in sight in the case of a serious accident.
There are no hard statistics to back up the statement but knowing something of the sales of all types of model aircraft and the % of turnover in club members each year ,it is fairly obvious that there are many many people flying in locations across the country with no insurance or permission to be there and no amount of preaching by a MAAC zone director is going to change that (Ask me how I know!) and as a matter of fact we are often seen as "fun spoilers" for even bringing the subject up.
I live in fear of some well intentiioned privateer putting a model through some soccer Moms windshield and causing a horrendous accident and bringing the protective wrath of government down on all our heads.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor

If the day comes when a pilot puts a plane through a soccer mom's windshield, I don't think the government will stop and ask whether or not the pilot had MAAC coverage before reacting.

I don't particularly like the bad rap that back-yard flyers get. I am not stupid, irresponsible, nor ignorant. I can't speak for everyone, but I range-check my models, and know enough to give roads and houses a very wide buffer. I don't want to crash my plane any more than a guy at a field, possibly more-so because I've got a chance of hitting my barn or even my house if I lost control.

For what its worth, this isn't a rant against MAAC, as I have a valid card because I enjoy going to the odd funfly.
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Wink Re: no insurance?

A large number of people drive without insurance and/or licences, and that is mandated by law and enforced by the police.
Why worry about MAAC insurance when you are forced to buy insurance coverage in case you are hit by an uninsured driver?
As Ned Flanders put it; 'I didn't get insurance for my house because it was too much like gambling'.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

If you are only able to get insurance from someone like Lloyds of London you are already sraping the bottom of the barrel. If they won't insure you where do go from there?

Lots of people do fly uninsured and not just in the country either.

Didn't our MAAC president say that our accident record was bad?

From some of the antics that I have seen at some fields enforcement of the current safety rules would be better than adding more rules.

If I could not get insurance I would try to find a safe place to fly before going to what used to be the local flying field. (No insurance = No field)
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick G
Radio of choice:
DX8 & DX3C
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 7

it wouldn't stop me one bit.

One thing i find is a HUGE issue and it stems from the LHS right from the purchase of your plane or helicopter is most have no CLUE they need MAAC and can and should only fly at designated flying fields.

Some of these RTF nitro helis i've seen bought by someone new to the hobby has no clue about insurance, goes to the local school ground to fly, loses control and kills and or really hurts someone.

I believe it should be enforced a little more i sure don't want to see someone hurt because they honestly didn't know.

I'm a backyard flyer with my 450 size helis i have and always will be safe with it. I refuse to fly with someone beside me or near me or around it. Wont fly planes in backyard but i do fly parkfliers at an abandoned field.
My Heli's & Planes
mCX2 | CX2 | 1SQ | MQX | mCPX BL | T-Rex 450SE V1 & V2 | T-Rex 500CF (x2) | T-Rex 600 | Goblin 770 |

My Cars & Trucks
Ken Block WR8 Flux

My Most Wanted
Goblin 500 & 700 | Compass 7HV | T-Rex 550 | Extra 260
b0r3d is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.