RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bill O

Total Props: 0
Taylorcraft / Prop / Engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,
I need some advice. I bought a Taylorcraft - 104" span - semi-symet wings - weight 19 1/2 lbs - has a Zenoah G38.

It came from the previous owner with a 20x10 prop with a plastic 2 3/4" spinner, with the cuts poorly/crudely enlarged. A 20" prop on a 38cc? Is that not too large?

From what I've looked up, the G38 prop range is 16x8 to 18x6 props. The Zenoah folks say rpm from 2100 to 9500, and that it turns an 18x10 prop at from 7100 to 7400 rpm. (yes they have a descepincy there)

I've heard how the TruTurn spinners are the way to go (already nicely balanced) so I ordered in a 2 3/4" std spinner (TT-2752-B-120 2-3/4" Standard 120-SLOT 2-BLADE) with the wide 120 slots from my LHS. I bought a wooden Zinger 18x6 there while ordering the spinner. Well, the 2 don't fit each other. The prop blades are too wide when I got the spinner. I ordered an APC 18x8 at the LHS. (the TruTurn site says this spinner will take up to a 16x14 APC prop. I hoped the 18x8 would fit.) The prop came in as an 18x8W, and I was told at the LHS that APC does not have an 18x8. (I see on various sites that I can get an 18x8.) This ordered in prop (the 8W) will not fit either. The LHS suggests adjusting the spinner to take the prop, or going down to a 16x6 prop or 16x4 or even going to a 15" prop. I think the 16" will look too small, let alone going all the way down to a 15".

So, what do you folks with the real experience suggest? Is an 18" prop suitable for this motor/ plane combo? Or is there an 18" prop to fit the spinner and engine and plane combination? I'm no machinist to alter this spinner and then balance it. A wooden prop would look better, but "plastic" is ok too. The plane is for sport flying, not IMAC etc, nor scale competitions. Who has a TruTurn 2 3/4" spinner? What fits? Anyone have a G38? What props work well on 19 1/2 lbs?

Bill O.
London, Ont.
BillO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Re: Taylorcraft / Prop / Engine

The Top Flite 18 x 8 wood is a good prop. You can also use the 18 x 8-10 size in wood
which gives a bit more pitch at the tips of the blades. Zinger is a good brand also if
you prefer. If you need an adapter nut for the spinner inside let me know.

cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19

Bill, for that type of aircraft I would like to keep a larger prop on it.I suggest a 20/6 ( better thrust) or 18/8 (like Cassat said, may be the best choice) to keep the speed down.

I find that Zinger and Top Flite props don't give as great as performance as some of the others on the market IMO Talk to Mike at MSC or if you can find a Menz S...Carbon fiber Mezjlik 19/8 would also be a great choice.Then an APC 18".

There is Thunderbolt RC and Azure hobbies that also handle Xoar props which work well.Both advertise on this site Johnny at Azure has some great carbon fiber spinners also.Not sure about adaptors though.

You can enlarge the slots in the spinner with a dremel tool.
Movin' on up to the top-shelf..3W!!!

Last edited by wingburner; 08-24-2008 at 08:15 PM.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Small wonder you are having problems with your spinner, my Showtime 50 came with a 2-3/4 spinner to be used with a .50 to.60 size engine and 13-14 inch props. A .90 to 1.20 size plane would typically use a 3" spinner to fit 14-15 inch props. As you are finding out, the spinner is much too small to start with, 3-1/4 or 3-1/2 would give you enough cutout that only a small amount of filing might be neccessary to get a good prop fit.
What I would recommend is this:
1. run your engine on the ground with 3 or 4 props in the 17 and 18 inch range to find which one your engine likes the best, I find the Zinger Pro, Xoar, and APC props to be the best. I only use Master Airscrews to stir paint

2. once you decide on a specific prop, THEN install your spinner and enlarge the openings just enough to clear the prop blades with a fine pitch, small diameter round file. Remember to go slowly and look for the same amount of clearance on both sides. Most decent props are well balanced and shaped the same on both sides, so if you use the blades for reference, you will minimize the possibility of creating an imbalance. Besides, and not to make light of balance issues, many gasoline two strokes have an inherent tendency to shake from internal imbalance conditions, so a little bit from the spinner isn't going to make much difference.

Good luck with you project, I have always liked the Taylorcraft, especially the clipped wing version

Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Bill G

My Z38 has been turning a 18X10 zinger at 7200rpm for 12 years now. If you go to a better quality prop like zoar then try 18X8
Bill Green 18250
Sun Parlor RC Flyers
BillGreen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bill O

The reason I went with the 2 3/4" spinner was that the aircraft uses a smallish spinner, according to the pictures I have seen of original full scale planes.

I was hoping to hear of a way to help with not having to alter this balanced spinner. (the in stock Dave Brown ones were less) The spinner did come with the correct adapter for the Zenoah G38.

Thanks for the advice to all of you, and if you (or someone else) has more to say, join in.

Bill O.
London, Ont.
BillO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

It just so happens that Tru Turn provides a service to properly cut their spinner cones for whatever prop/engine combination you happen to intend to use.

If it is not practical to return the spinner, they also suggest that you can purchase an incividual cone to fit your existing backplate and adapter.

I always get them to match the spinner to the intended prop. No problems that way.

As for the Zinger props, in my experience, I've found that quite often they can be problematic when it comes to balancing. Othere than that they work OK, although not as efficiently as some newer designs apparently. Many people claim that they are only good for stirring paint. I disagree. I have found their 3 blade models, with individually replaceable blades to work very well.

Back in the Bad Old Days, when engines were limited to essentially Quadra and Zenoah, we used 18-10 Zinger wood 2 blade props on both the Q42 and the G38. Some people preferred the Zinger 18 - 6/10, which has already been talked about. I found they worked quite well too.

My experience with Zenoah engines says that they take a while to break in. And until they do, you will not likely achieve the claimed RPM on the suggested prop. It may also be of interest that I saw in a recent Zenoah manual that the quoted figures are on APC props. However, if you check with APC, you will see that production for many of those large sizes has stopped. There's a blurb about that on their web site.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.