Battery pack tear offs - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Battery pack tear offs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been cycling a large number of lithium Ion cells in order to build some battery packs. They aren't large packs but after I cycled quite a few cells I thought I would build a couple of packs to try them out.

I put the packs together with a bit of hot melt glue to hold them together to make it easier to wire them. I had put them aside and continued to cycle cells. Suddenly a couple of cells had readings that were a perfect match for some of the cells in the packs I had just built.

Well I guess I kind of jumped the gun on that one. I had labelled each cell and wrote down the capacity of each cell to make the cells easier to group together. When I tried to pull the pack apart it was very difficult to do except for a couple of cells where the glue was on the label. The label ripped instead of tearing the thin heat shrink off of the cell.

That was the solution to the problem.

Put a label on each cell and apply the glue to the labels when joining the cells. If you want to repalce a cell or reconfigure the pack the paer label will tear before the heat shrink is ruined.

The cell at the far left end of the pack has the original heat shrink. It is so thin you can see through it and it is very easy to pierce or rip it. The labels are easy to remove but strong enough to hold the pack together until it is wired up and encapsulated in heat shrink tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lipo pack 5570 (Small).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37055  

Last edited by Ken Currell; 08-25-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Re: Battery pack tear offs

In the past I've used latex caulking to stick the cells together when assembling packs - it takes overnight to dry but you can just cut the cells apart if you have to and it's also slightly flexible - my tuppence worth!.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Battery pack tear offs

The caulking will work but I don't like the waiting time nor the clean up if you need to pull them apart.

With the Makita cells the plastic insulation is so thin it needs some extra protection and insulation. The paper labels are doing double duty in this case.

I have had to re-cofigure one of my packs and it was easy to pull apart and no solvent was required to remove the labels.

No clean up of the cells was required. I just put 2 new labels on and put them together with more hot melt glue. Total job took about 15 minutes most of which was spent waiting for the glue gun to heat up.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.