Is the 2.4GHz Band Really safe? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
Unhappy Is the 2.4GHz Band Really safe?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK Guys;

I think I’m about to start a fight… I hope someone can straiten me out before I stir up too much trouble.

See if you can follow my train of thought.

#1 I want to go out and buy a 2.4Ghz radio system – I believe that they are the future of RC and I was impressed with the ads that showed the 40 transmitters all lined up and not interfering with each other.

#2 I just installed a ‘Back Up’ video system from CTC on my car – it works on 2.4 GHz too. The advertised range of this system is just over 3 Meters (11 feet). However; I have been driving around for the last week and I keep picking up video signals from other cars as well as surveillance cameras from homes/businesses – entertaining maybe - but very distracting when you are driving.

#3 My new cordless phone is now working on 2.4 GHz – no problems with anything but it is another electronic device sharing the band.

#4 I was just looking at the airborne surveillance system currently being marketed by Fat Shark;

http://www.gowiththeshark.com/RCV922...era_500mW.html

Here they say:
VERY IMPORTANT: THE RCV922 AVIATOR EDITION TX TRANSMITS AT 2.4GHZ. THIS SYSTEM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH 2.4GHZ RC RADIOS

RCV922 SPECIFICATION DOCUMENT

SO!

The question / concern that I have - Is the electronic engineering behind the 2.4GHz radio systems all that they say?

OR

Is the 2.4 GHz spectrum starting to fill up with all of these OTHER devices?

As we are all running to buy the new 2.4Ghz Radios I would like to know that we are not about to become the next victims of technology.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Is the 2.4GHz Band Really safe?

"As we are all running to buy the new 2.4Ghz Radios I would like to know that we are not about to become the next victims of technology.

We already are.

As to your question?

I believe the Federal Government has just auction off a large chunk of the 2.4 GHz band. Probably more to follow. Right now Multiplex in Germany has still not come out with a 2.4 GHz radio.

Here is link to the Multiplex statement

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...ges/2_4_GB.pdf

The band is wide open for other uses as well as R/C. Asied fram the stuff you mentioned don't forget aboun Blue Tooth devices that jump all over the band. Oh yes, wireless networks, car door openers, 2 way radios, securtiy systems and remate cameras, Fire departments use some 2.4 ghz stuff as wel as countless others.

The best person to direct this question to is the MAAC rep in charge of representing our needs in this area.

Cheers

Last edited by Ken Currell; 08-25-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Just looked at the Fat Shark ad.

Seems like it might interfere with the 2.4 ghz radios.

Does that mean that if I buy one and use it at the field all 2.4 ghz guys can't
fly until I land?

And if everyone else is on 2.4 then I have the sky to myself, and it's legal too.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Just looked at the Fat Shark ad.

Seems like it might interfere with the 2.4 ghz radios.

Does that mean that if I buy one and use it at the field all 2.4 ghz guys can't
fly until I land?

And if everyone else is on 2.4 then I have the sky to myself, and it's legal too.
That was the thought I was having when I posted this thread... it makes you think - doesn't it?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

The spektrum system is supposed to scan the 2.4ghz band and find 2 free channels and lock them in so theoretically there should be no interference from other 2.4ghz devices which are on a fixed channel.

The Futaba FASST system frequency hops the 2.4ghz band multiple times a second so even if there is interference it should not last long enough to interfere for more than a split second.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

I think if you look at the camera it is only a problem if it is mounted in a plane that is using a 2.4 Gig radio. Since the camera is low powered (10 mW) it falls through the radio regs. Who knows what it does as far as side band emissions?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Carlyle
RCC Contributor

I am: carlyle anderson

Why not just think about it this way... Percentage wise, who is going to have more radio problems? 2.4 or 72mhz? Hands down, 2.4 is much better. I have had THOUSANDS of flights since switching to 2.4ghz, and haven't had any problems at all. That being said, I don't know about the video problems people are talking about.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
3dflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

i just switched to jr spektrum and have been flying without any problems.i have checked with a data flight checker and haven,t had any issues.like anything new that comes out ,theres going to be bugs in the systems and will have to be sorted out till there ready to be used on the market.just my 2 cnts.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Yes the band is full.

No it should not cause you undue problems.

Keep in mind that a 100mW transmission will only carry a few hundred feet before it becomes too weak to be picked up by the average receiver. Unless you are flying right in the middle of a neighborhood of 2.4Ghz devices you won't be affected.
2.4 has been out for a while. If there were serious problems you would have heard about it by now.

On the other side of the coin, Spektrum and FASST are not bulletproof like the ads would have you believe. It still pays to use common sense when flying.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #10

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post
Why not just think about it this way... Percentage wise, who is going to have more radio problems? 2.4 or 72mhz? Hands down, 2.4 is much better. I have had THOUSANDS of flights since switching to 2.4ghz, and haven't had any problems at all. That being said, I don't know about the video problems people are talking about.

I can say the same about 72mhz though, I've had thousands of flights on 72 and haven't had any problems. Any radio problems I've ever encountered were component failure and had nothing to do with the type of frequency transmitted. I wouldn't say 2.4 is much better, different, perhaps it will alleviate some of the old problems we used to have, but common sense came with me when I flew and I have never been shot down or lost an airplane to unexplained radio failure. Having said that, I have switched my jets to 2.4 as a preventative measure, but will continue to use 72 on my sport planes.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in