Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Babak
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: >10

Total Props: 0
Re: Home Brew

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Mix of 80% Methanol with 20% filtered castor oil is a perfect combination.
we used this mixture for many years with good result.
For filtering castor oil, warm it up to 70 C degree and pass it trough a coffee filter.
It is a messy process and I am not sure if the homemade fuel is any better than commercially available fuels.
Without Nitro in the mixture, the idle RPM needs to be set a little bit higher.

Last edited by bavl; 08-31-2008 at 08:12 AM.
bavl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
homme de fer
RCC Contributor
I am: Marc A

I had asked this question a few months ago and received the same sound advice from Ed. I decided that with all the talk of an impending Nitro shortage to buy a couple jugs of 15% and mix it down to 5%. I made about 1.5 litres of it and tried it in all my engines and it worked perfectly.

The added bonus was that I was getting better fuel economy by going to 5% (not that it really mattered).

Marc A.
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

I'm of the belief that there's a bit of a misconception about a nitro shortage.

VP Fuels is the Biggest distributor of Nitro, and Nitro content fuels. Lots of it is used every year across North America in sporting events, like dragsters, funny cars, drag boats. And maybe whatever the military might use.

I spoke with VP fuels, the problem is not that there's a shortage, but rather all the restrictions since 9/11, homeland security stuff and all. If your involved in drag racing, no problem. But the Government has now put in just so many conditions/restrictions etc, that makes it very difficult for the average guy to get it anymore.
Since 9/11, the logic seems to be that some might use it in the fabrication of some sort of bomb.

So, , , it's a shortage? yes for some, , , and no for others.

Last edited by Mike Emilio; 09-04-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Wally Teresch
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 1
Talking Re: Home Brew

Originally Posted by hifly2104 View Post
Any chance of getting a link to that article. I already knew about 2 stroke outboards as they run cooler than other two strokes(water cooled).I was thinking of going the caster oil route and some synthetic chain saw oil using about 15% in volume of the two oils mixed. I was then going to cut some MFG fuel for the nitro content.
I do boats myself and lubricants are an important part of my hobbying. I run some high nitro through some of my engines and have looked into fuels and mixing. Myself, I prefer to use Kloz oils as they are formulated for racing. http://www.klotzlube.com/storeCats.asp?ci=8
I usually check my oil content on fuels that I buy as that amount of nitro and the high demands put onto a boat engine take a toll. If ever in doubt, get an insulin syringe from the local pharmacy and draw off 100cc (the more the better but in increments of 100 is best) of the fuel. Put that into a small, flat container/dish and come back in a week or so. By then the everything will have evaporated except the oils. Draw off the oil and read the amount. If you started with 200cc and there is 34cc of oil, your fuel is 17% oil.
If you run any kind of nitro content in your motor, some castor oil is a must in my mind. The castor sticks to the metal parts in an engine and creates a thin film that protects it from moisture. Nitro attracts moisture so if you want to protect your investment, either blow out your engine with WD40 after running or use a fuel with a decent amount of castor in it. Also, degumming castor oil isn't an easy process. From what I've read, you can't just filter it. Klotz also has a good degummed castor and a synthetic/castor blend. They're in Toledo every year and have a deal on for the hobby show.
Whichever way you go, use lots of lube (in your engine I mean) LOL
walthor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #15
Jay D
RCC Apprentice

I mix my own fuel... 15% Klotz Techniplate and the rest Methanol... there is a common misconception that hardware store methylhydrate and methanol are not the same... this is so wrong.. they are the identicle product.. The best thing to do is to pass the methyl through some coffee filters when you pour it into your jug, there is always a little bit of crud in the fuel even if you can't see it.. use the KL-200 synthetic oil or the KL-100 if you like to use castor as it has a 20% mix of the synthetic/castor. I don't use any nitro at all... My engines run the same without it since I use bigger glow engines..(90's and 1.20's). They still work great but requires a different tuning than nitro use.
You have to run the engine much leaner without nitro because the nitro is an oxidizer which adds artificial oxygen to the mixture.. this of course requires more fuel hence the richer setting. I find that people who went from running a tank of nitro and then straight to a tank of home brew were'nt happy with the performance because they didnt re-tune the engine, it would run sloppy and idle poorly and they would think it was junk, with a little tuning on BOTH needles the engine will run just as well.
Here in Miramichi NB, we have no LHS, if you buy fuel from great hobbies, they ship your fuel directly from Morgan Fuels which is Alabama, guess who pays the dangerous goods shipping costs on that.... that's right me. You have to buy at least a case which is ok for me but then also pay $40.00+ for shipping which take the grand total of your fuel to over $35 a gallon... retarded if you ask me when it is so easy to make your own for around $11 a gallon. The local drag track sells nitro here, so if I feel the need for a bit more power... I'll brew up some nitro fuel.
Jay Dickson
MAAC# 72371

Last edited by Jay D; 09-20-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added content
Jay D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor

When I was heavy into large size slimers-ST3000's etc- I bought my methanol by the 45 gallon drum and mixed it with aviation tubine engine oil. (11% for anything .90 and larger). This is the best oil made.

At that ime I was in the aviation racket and got the urks to save the oil from the oil changes. Check at your airport dealers and see if you can get a pail of thes stuff. Even used it will exceed your need for lub, and it is only a golden colour, not like the stuff you drop out of your car. You can also buy it new in liter cans, I would suggest Esso rather than Shell, as the Shell oil tends to darken with sunlight. Tex.
Tex Gehman, Winnipeg
Slime is Crime
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.