Magazines/Catalogs - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just received the lastest issue of a rc aircraft magazine. It seems the mags now are just catalogs and any reviews of aircraft and/or power plants are always favorable. The planes alway flew easy and the engines never cut out in mid air. There's always a few (very few ) tips on building, repairing and flying. But there's lots and lots of advertising.
WillyT is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Re: Magazines/Catalogs

In my opinion, the best general RC magazine available today is "R/C Report". (

Loads of content, honest reviews, great columnists, much humour (sometimes silly) and just an all around good read. Read the introduction here:

I highly recommend it. It is one of only two RC mags I subscribe to. (The other is "Radio Control Jet International", for obvious reasons.) I subscribed to the "other" ones but dropped them years ago for the exact reasons stated above.

At $40.00US a year (for Canadian subscriptions, sent First Class) ($3.33US an issue) it's a bargain too!

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by WillyT View Post
I just received the lastest issue of a rc aircraft magazine. It seems the mags now are just catalogs and any reviews of aircraft and/or power plants are always favorable. The planes alway flew easy and the engines never cut out in mid air. There's always a few (very few ) tips on building, repairing and flying. But there's lots and lots of advertising.
ADvertising, like on TV pays the bills. The subscription costs pay only a small portion of what it takes to get the magazines to print every month.

As for honest reviews, I can only speak of what I have first hand experience with, but I have certainly had engine's cut out on me or otherwise had some issues which were written about.

There is a newer magazine which I think is great (and I subscribe to as well as my own Fly RC)- it is called RC Sport Flyer. The editor, Will Byers, had a great (IMO) editorial about why model magazines write about good products and seldom about ones which are no good.

To be 100% honest, in todays market of radios, engines and aircraft - there really are none on the market that are "bad". I know its actually hard to find a crappy engine these days... at least all the ones I seem toget like to run well.

In terms of aircraft, how many today are really poorly manufactured and/or poor flyers? Hardly any. If you dislike a choice of certain hardware, or the covering is not up to standards, that is more than likely written about. But having a plane just be a total dud is probably not going to happen today. It would probably never see the marketplace.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Most all ARF's these days are very nicely built and fly exceptionally well. I think the only real difference is in the amount of factory assembly. Quick Builds are becoming more and more common. IE Aeroworks for one, and planes like the new Carden Hangar 9 50 - 60 cc Yak 54 which leave little fitting and assembly to the buyer.

Theres really not a lot for a magazine to have to review other than the actual setup and flying. And of course the planes are going to fly well or it would not be worth a company donating a model for the review. Engines are pretty much the same story! Initially they are all going to run just fine. And again, a sport engine is going to be less money than a high performance competition engine for various reasons.

As for magazines, I no longer subscripe to any magazine. I will browze through the selection each month and if there is a particular review or article that appeals to me, I will purchase the individual copy of that magazine. Its not worth it to me to subscribe when I may only find the odd article that I like which may only happen with a particular mag 2 or 3 times a year.

Now to be completely honest, I do not recall seeing the mag Jim recommends, so I will have to keep my eye out for it and give it a look over! It may just be the one and only magazine I would care to subscribe to! Maybe!!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob N.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0

I pretty much agree with WillyT. I have subscriptions but the longer I am in the hobby(2 years now) the more repetition there seems to be but not much about the building, repairing, setting up and modifying of the planes. It seems too many people just want to fly. My interest is in all areas of the hobby. I do like Fly RC and have only purchased 1 RC Sport Flyer, but it seems to want to offer a little more than just plane reviews. The ads are not a bad thing. They do keep subscription prices down and let you know about new products.
xray is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.