Recommended starter?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13
Re: Recommended starter??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A buddy of mine has one of these powered by 2 x 12 volt gel cells and it works very well . I ordered one , and plan on running 3 x 7.2 volt stick packs wired together . Lotsa power , but no need to prime the engine , it'll start .
hellyeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
i here of so many people trying to start 4 stroke motors by pushing it through compression ,crazy crazy idea were do you get that idea from .prime the motor till it is wet .with glow off flip with throttle open a coupple of times CCW through compression ,then rotate prop CW until you touch compression ,close throttle ,set trim . glow on. then back the prop up 1/4 turn,then bounce prop CW or backwards off compression .it will start every time first flip.use a chicken stick .better yet get someone that uses 4 strokes to show you .i have had every 4 stroke motor ever made from single to 5 cyl .and never had one that took more than a coupple of light flips .even the manual on my motors warn damage if starters are used .the starter is actually more dangerous,because when the motor kicks back and no starter will stop that ,the starter will likely slip off into the spinning prop & and were is your wrist at that point scary .hope this helps Roger
Do whatever works for you. I have had the engine kick on my fingers just priming a new Saito 125 and it hurt like heck. There is no way I'd put my fingers near a prop with the glow on, back flipping or not.

I always run the prop through (by hand with the glow off) a couple of cycles making sure there is no hydraulic lock on the cylinder before using the electric starter. I always make sure I am well positioned so that IF the starter slips off the spinner, I don't loose my balance and run the starter, my hand or arm into a spinning prop. I'd rather wreck a prop or damage an engine than loose a finger, smash a hand or cut an artery from a spinning prop.

As I said, use whatever method you like, I won't judge.
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 13

(i guess i should of high lit chicken stick)actually i have had 4 strokes start a number of times with no glow at all . " I use a chicken stick "(even to prime),dont use fingers unless you dont like them.LOL.I have also used starters & I have a nice gear reduction one ,worked best if you want it . found it would destroy the motor in verry short order ,but to each his own ,your money .
also (1)if a 4 stroke starts backwards the idle is to high (2)they are hard to start hot so let them cool before restart(3)prime them till the fuel is running out the exhaust ,then clear it before starting ,like my dady said if you want to know how to do something right find the guy haveing no problems and kindly ask him .my 2 cents Roger

Last edited by RAMJET; 03-03-2009 at 07:03 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

I posted in the wrong thread
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.