RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Thumbs up Oh My God

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is happening to our hobby .
For the last 75 years or more it has been an exciting trial and error hobby.
Not now. I won't say we because I do not do buy an electrified piece of foam go to the nearest park or playground and try to fly one of these overpriced piece of so called models.

A true modeler in my opinion is someone that spent the winter building his project and anticipating the spring day when he and family go for that first amazing flight. Think back to that day for you old timers that have been around for the past 60 or 80 years.It truly was amazing to see that box of wood take off into the sky and actually fly.What a beautiful
moment . I still get that feeling today on a maiden flight.

You are special people that have experianced something that a lot of people never will.

Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: Oh My God

Many will never experience that thrill of first flight of the work of devotion. The vacuum formed ready to fly stuff is convenient (and not all as bad as you describe) but does lack the thrill of the "birth from the building board".

I guess there will always be roller coaster types and those who just wanna ride the merry-go-round through life....

Well met my friend, don't stress over those who only want to ( or may only be able to) enjoy half the wonderful experience that is our hobby.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Re: Oh My God

Hi Sparky

You are not alone , here is my pet pef

I know several guys , who , when I hear them speak , they say: look what I built ................. ya right .............. its an ARF

I have looked at there profil and this is what I have read : years building ----3......... and all he has done , is assembled ARFs . Or even worse , he starts a thread and calls it a build , sorry , thats a NO GO for me . I have seen some excellant work here on RCC , and if I comment on a thread , you can be sure that it is not an ARF , and if I do , its because he has called it an assembly . I am very far from being an A1 modeler , but thats only because , I am still young (54 ) at it . There was this one picture that I seen here on RCC and the only thing that gave the model away was the grass that the plane was standing on . It took the gentelman 12yrs , it was absolutly gourgous , detail for detail , rivet for rivet . It was a WW1 aircraft , and if I could get that close to doing something like that , I would be proud . But the real thing is that I know what kind of modeler I am , and thats is : A guy with a lot to learn ............... thats me . And I feel we are a dyeing breed . I still need to go through two more steps , #1... to cut and build and #2 design cut and build . At this point , I have only done 5 kits , they have all come out over weight , but holy gosh there strong . One dose very good cart wheels down the runway .

Over the years the hobby has changed , much more marketing . There are some excellant ARFs out there to day . And for the price , there cheap . it costs more to build , than it is to buy an ARF . These guys that calls an ARF a build , are cheaters . And very politly.............. I ask them to call it an assembly ............. Its only fair

Pef over

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi Sparky and Jim,

Add me to your List.

Love building/flying my Creations. I like balsa/foam, rather than Tissue covering lately.

Maac Scale Combat keeps me on my toes, WW1 and WW2 !

My box of Balsa is cool. I cannot count the # of times I have made chuck/slingshot Gliders for kids around here.

My balsa/foam building is different to the 'coro artists' I fly with.

There is allot of ways you can enjoy this Hobby.

And be creative.

Hard part for me is to try and 'invent' a new plane.

Turns out, investigating... I'll find an interesting Scale Subject!

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink, Say No More !

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

Last edited by Cross Check; 09-30-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13

For some , myself included , this hobby is about THE FLYING !! It is as much a release for me to fly , than i imagine it is for those who build from kits or scratch . I don't understand the attitude shown by those who "only" fly what they build , and expect others to do the same . I appreciate those that have the time , skills , and space to build , but to project the attitude that some are less worthy because they "assemble" ARF's is just wrong . I'm glad i don't have to deal with this type of attitude where i fly , because there would be feelings hurt , and they wouldn't be mine . I see complaining about lack of new members in clubs (on the forums , and in person ) all the time , and i can't help but think that because of these attitudes projected on new people , that this is part of the reason why . I myself would prefer to hone my flying skills , and repairing ARF's , before tackling a build that would take hundreds of hours to complete , only to see it destroyed because i spent all that time building , instead of flying . One day , when time and space permits , i would like to try my hand at building , but until then ............. i'll be taking advantage of what little free time i have to go flying .
hellyeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 2

Wow, are some people ever norrow minded. Not everyone has the interest/skill/time/money to build from scratch or kits. I started flying with a Gentle Lady kit and an 25yr old MEN trainer that was handed down to me, but progress was really slow. It took me twelve yrs to get no where. I didn't have the time or knowledge to fix and repair things fast enough for me to teach myself how to fly (I was living in the middle of nowhere without anyone to teach me). Twelve years after I started i finally got an electric foam airplane. Within a year I had taught myself how to fly and eventually got a wooden ARF. This gave me the chance to fly a "real" airplane that didn't make me sooo nervous because of the numerous hours that I had put into it.

Now that I don't crash regularly I feel comfortable flying the planes that I have built from kits and actually have found that I enjoy building just as much as, or more than flying. I never would have found that out if it wasn't for foam and ARF's though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that ARF's are helping to grow this hobby. That benefits everyone, even you kit builders. It means cheaper/better equipment for us all. It means more people are flying, which may influance cities and towns to take us more seriously when we request flying sites.

Try to accept change and look at the positive side of things.

g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Hi All,

Do Not make this into another ARF/Kit built/Scratch design debate!

Flying model airplanes is FUN !

Some of us like building our own planes...even if they are not as 'good' as the middle of the road store bought ones...
(try building one better ! It is hard ! ! !)

Some of us take allot of time/effort to : "Build our Own" and take Pride in our accomplishments.

Something I like about this Hobby. You meet really cool people!

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bruce W

I understand what your saying Second T A. To me in this hobby a modeler is someone who builds and flys what they build. However, alot of folks don't have the time to build so the ARF's are a good fit with alot of great arf's on the market. It does bug me tho when someone is taking credit for a great looking arf as "their build", usually "modelers" can see past this. Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer people building. Anyway I wouldn't sweat it, as I think there is room for both.
MAAC# 44741
PS MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

I too love building airplanes from a kit. I have even scratched built a couple of decent sized planes. And yes, the thrill of that very first flight with a plane I have pondered over for hours is amazing. Truly a rush!

However, with the quality and prices of ARF's today, and with family obligations, its hard for me to justify the time spent building an airplane from a box of parts or even more hours cutting out each individual part from plans only to scratchbuild my model when for less money and a whole lot less time I can have the best of both worlds in the purchase of, (and assembly of) an ARF.

There are indeed many many people today who can enjoy this wonderful hobby because of the advent of ARFS where they couldn't possibly do so otherwise. With the ever continued rise in prices of fuel, clothing, food & shelter, many people have to work and struggle just to obtain the necessities of life for themselves and their kids, let alone trying to afford the luxury of a hobby such as ours.

Perhaps all they can afford is a foamy or coroplast or ARF airplane whether monitarily, health wise and time wise, but at least they can participate in the hobby and enjoy it every bit as much ( perhaps even more) as someone who can afford a $5000 to $10000 investment in an airplane. AT whatever level, its the friends made, the participation in and the love of the hobby that matters.

Just because some of us have unlimited time and funds, can enjoy the biggest and best of everything, why should we look down on anyone who is enjoying the hobby to the extent their circumstanses in life will allow??

Play nice, fly safe, be happy and just enjoy what you have or can afford!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 09-30-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bruce W

Well spoken, Gary.
MAAC# 44741
PS MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.