Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Re: Oh My God

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have seen guys sad after dorking their plane and that is understandable but i have seen a couple throw a little temper tantrum after crashing and it makes me laugh a little. Everyone handles it different. I actually had one plane i was glad i crashed i could never get it flying properly but my stubborness wouldn't just let it go, so when it did go in i was glad to not have to deal with it anymore!!
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

First off I primarily build my planes from kits. I enjoy the building process, and am fortunate to have the space and time to do so. My hanger consists of five kit builds and two ARF's all of which are flyable at any moment. After this coming winter I will have two garbage can planes to add to my fleet. I have been flying a garbage can Sig Something Extra this season, and this winter it will receive a new fuselage. I will also finish rebuilding a Hanger 9 Funtana 40.
I save the majority of my building for the winter months and the rest of the year I dedicate to flying as often as possible. I repair my planes if needed and throw them away if a rebuild isn't possible. This includes my ARF's. So far I have yet to scrap one of my kit builds, but an ARF has hit the fire pit.
I do not understand the narrow mindedness of some of the members on this site who have nothing but distaste for anything other than a scratch built aircraft. I admire those who are capabale of drawing plans, vacume forming, fiberglassing and painting, as they are skills that I do not posess, yet, but I do not look down on those that are not willing to go to such great lengths.
Enjoy the hobby in whatever form, and enjoy the company of your flying companions. Keep an open mind and check the attitude at the gate. I've said it before, it matters not to me what you fly, but that you fly.

Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.

Last edited by thuebner; 10-01-2008 at 11:29 AM.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

I really don't care what kind of plane you fly, ARF or scratch build, glow, electric or jet. Just enjoy the hobby and come out to the field and fly - I like the comradeship and the company! See ya at the field!

Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: Terry R

Total Props: 0

Bottom line for me is "who cares"

I discovered years ago that its mostly about the group of guys I fly with. I know people with as much duct tape on their planes as covering that are great to fly with and love coming out. The fact that they can't afford the time or money to build doesn't bother me one bit. Personally I have a real hard time building anymore with two small kids and a full time job so its usually the high end ARF for me. When I'm retired things will change but until then I do what I can. There is some real junk out there but there are some real high quality ARFs too that are better than what a skilled builder could do. Flying is another story as I've seen people with amazing building skills that can't fly to save their lives. Again this doesn't matter to me and shouldn't matter to you. The important thing is that we all have a good time and try to play nice.
forestcityflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Steve B

Total Props: 1

I'm with Wayne, as long as you come out and fly, regardless of what it is, then that's great! I'm happy to see anyone out there that enjoys this hobby as much as I do.

As for those "electrified piece of foam", do you not consider something like this a model?
It's obvious that this builder has put a lot of time and effort into his plane, regardless of the material used, and I think that even a "true modeler" would have difficulty replicating it.

If it makes you happy to whine and complain about the hobby and how great it use to be, knock yourself out. It's not going to bring it back, so just suck it up and get on with it.

Safety Precautions: Do not touch the rolling airscrew in order not to be hurt!

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #26
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Well, here's another viewpoint. I'm one of those guys who got into the hobby before ARF's were a big thing (1990). I had to build kits. I'm good at building kits (not great, but good.) But, I really don't enjoy it. Really.

The part of the hobby that I enjoy is flying. Not building. So, as ARF's developed and the quality improved, I "assembled" more of them than I "built" kits. (As Ed noticed though, the quality of ARF's can sometimes leave a bit to be desired. A little research can help there. Not to say you should have done that, Ed, given your situation.)

I'll still build kits for planes that I can't get as an ARF, but if there's a good ARF for a plane I want, then it's assembly time.

As always, YMMV.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
RCC Contributor

Originally Posted by Second time around View Post
What is happening to our hobby .
For the last 75 years or more it has been an exciting trial and error hobby.
Not now. I won't say we because I do not do buy an electrified piece of foam go to the nearest park or playground and try to fly one of these overpriced piece of so called models.

A true modeler in my opinion is someone that spent the winter building his project and anticipating the spring day when he and family go for that first amazing flight. Think back to that day for you old timers that have been around for the past 60 or 80 years.It truly was amazing to see that box of wood take off into the sky and actually fly.What a beautiful
moment . I still get that feeling today on a maiden flight.

You are special people that have experianced something that a lot of people never will.

What a bunch of hypocrisy.

Do you go into the forest and cut the balsa tree down?
Do you formulate the raw materials to sythesize the plastic film to cover the wings?
Do you distill your own fuel?
Did you cast your own engine block from super light weight alloys?
And, "oh my god", don't even tell me what modern contraption you're using for a radio? PCM? High Freq?

Clearly your notion of the true meaning of "modeling" is one designed to reflect your own whims.

The fact is that Foamies, ARF's and other rapidly-evolving facets of this hobby have opened the doors to many folks. As a member of that demographic, I'm offended by your post. It makes me feel unwelcome in my own hobby. After 15+ years, that's a sad place to be.

Oh, and is it not just the ultimate irony that you're sitting and pounding the keys on your internet machine about tradition! You only seem to be alergic to selective bits of progress.

If you're not part of the solution... you may be insoluble!
jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
Hi Gary,

Is this the quality you are referring to? I am trying to assemble an ARF for somebody. This is the wing saddle fit. I can only assume the wing was built upside down. The position of the front dowel will not allow the wing to sit down. I am awaiting comment from great planes.

Ed S
Psssst, hey Ed. Maybe its not the fit of the parts thats the problem. Me thinks the ARF gods are angry with you!

Perhaps your friend who goes out and purchases the cheepest piece of junk he can find should build it himself. Try checking out the quality of Carden or Aeroworks ARF's. Certainly not cheep but they are well designed and built with quality materials!! I "assembled" most of my AW ARF in two evenings and when finished, it flew absolutely great, right off the "assembly" bench!

My name is CGM and I approved this post!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #29
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bill F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Ah, that's what is great these days about this rapidly evolving hobby...especially the electric side of it....
"it's different strokes for different folks"

Who wants to spend endless evenings (unless it's raining) from May to November building, ..when you could be flying...hence the way to go is ARF's.

Come December to April I look forward to creating my own planes from either balsa or foam. And with the quality of ARF's so much better than just a few years ago and the fact that quite often, when finished, the built model costs more than the ARF, due to that person overseas working for a small wage, it's no wonder each month there are more new ARF's available. It likely will not stay that way for too many more years!

I re-entered this hobby five years ago, on the electric side, and it's been a mind-blowing experience to see the changes in that short period.
Remember we were using the new NiMh cells and what lipos there were came with an 8C discharge...!

Last edited by retiredVTT; 10-01-2008 at 03:53 PM.
retiredVTT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

I appreciate all parts of the hobby.

Did my first build in 1958.

1/2 A u-control with OK Cub .049.

It was scratch built and no plans were used.
It looked pretty bad but it flew slow and I learned to fly on it.

My 2nd plane was modified from a set of plans for "the profile".
It looked pretty good and flew great.

SInce then I have built R/C models from plans, kits and 1 ARF.
I also have bought several used R/C planes.

If it flies I like it!!!
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.