Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Postal Plane Project

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys,

Came across this interesting thread. A guy builds a 1/2A airplane, installs the engine, servos, battery, etc. The plane is RTF less receiver. He then ships the brand new plane to another flyer in a different state. That flyer has fun with it for a week or two and then ships it to a different flyer in another state. The next flyer does the same and so on. The original idea was to have this plane flown all over the world by different flyers involved in this great hobby. Each flyer is responsible for any repairs required as well as packing it in the original box. Guys have updated the engine and servos while they had the plane, out of their pocket for the good of the project. Each flyer covers the cost to ship the plane to the next flyer. The plane did some time in the U.S. and made it's way to Canada and then back to the U.S. Apparently, shipping costs and VAT made it unfeasible to ship overseas. Every flyer signed the bottom of the wing and the inside of the box and most added stickers to it while they had it.

Anyway, an interesting idea that shows me a lot about people in this hobby.

1.) There are a ton of GOOD people in this hobby.

2.) The plane has been maintained by various flyers and still remains in good and original shape which says a lot about the skill level and dedication of flyers across North America.

Now that winter is approaching and cabin fever sets in (you RCC regulars know what the winters get like on here) I will refer back to this thread and remember that although we are all individuals, we are all part of something great that is worldwide.

For those interested in reading, here is the link:

Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Postal Plane Project

global somethingorother on
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

That sounds like a good idea for MAAC, can you imagine an airplane that has flown at every field across Canada? It wouldn't neccessarily have to be shipped in areas where club fields are within driving distance.

Maybe a hobby store would sponsor such a grand endeavour.
redvan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14

Members of the Small Flying Arts forum have had a small simple rubber-powered F/F model touring the world for over a year.

To date it has been flown by numerous 'pilots' -
USA (33)
Canada (5)
South Africa
United Kingdom (3)

It's presently in France and destined to move on through Austria, Greece, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand and then to return via a half dozen places in the USA, following which it may be offered to the AMA museum.

Travels by air in a specially made padded container, complete with flight log, spares, etc.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

I was one of the two who flew the postal plane (Named GRACE) in Canada. That was fun to be part of it. For sure a similar project could be done across Canada. Shipping Grace back to US did cost approx $30 so from club to club it would probably be close to that.

Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

Here a picture of the plane next to the wing of my Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 to give you an idea of the size of Grace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of June 2008 #5 006.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	38949  
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.