Questions about gas verses glow....?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Questions about gas verses glow....??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello everyone,

Earlier this season I was flying my Dave Patrick Ultimate with a Saito 150.
I tried 15% Nitro. It flew well, but would not really hover very well. I tried 25% nitro.
It hovered, but I had to drop the nose slightly to pull out.

I have since sold the Saito and want to convert to gas for next season.

I am looking in the 26 to 35 cc range. The MVVS or Evolution 26gs or 35gt look interesting due to their size and weight.

I guess my question is would the 26 cc be enough ? The Saito 150 is 25cc.
Would the 26cc gasser give me enough pull and thrust ?
How do they compare ?

I could always put the OS160 2 stroke in there, but I want to get away from glow

Thanks for any help
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Re: Questions about gas verses glow....??

If you were to pipe the mvvs 26 it might outperform the saito 150, but factor the extra weight of exhaust and batt. for ignition and I dont think you will have gained very much. The 35 gt is a fine engine, but the power to weight numbers are not right for what your trying to acomplish and I dont think you will be happy with that choice. Glow engines usualy put out more power than gas of the same displacement. Untill you get into the 40cc class of engine there is not alot out there unless you are going scale. I to am trying to get more into gas but for the 12 lb 3d type aircraft the os160 apc 18-6w prop seems to be the best combo I have found and fairly fuel eficiant as well, as far as glow engines go. This is just one opinion and I hope you get more. Good luck and keep us posted.
HIGH FLYER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

I own a evo26cc and I like it very much . Is it not a power house. Now if I were you and it calls for 26 cc then go one step up . Benifits of gas are 5 bucks for a gal versis 18 to whatever up for fuel then there is the mess .
I still fly both but certainly doing my best to go gas.
No starters tools ect ect to carry around.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

When going up in size, there's a point at which it is no longer advantageous to use glow and gasoline is preferred. So that means, when going down in size, there's a point where it is no longer advantageous to use gasoline and glow fuel is preferred.

It's got to do with engine weight, power putput, copmplexity, cost and a bunch of things like that.

My OS 1.60 FX cost considerably less than an EVO 25 or 36 gas engine. In an appropriately sized plane of appropriate weight, it burns about an ounce of fuel per minute. I like planes where I can fly aerobatics at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle - like my Sig CAP 231EX did with the OS 1.60 FX and maintain low fuel consumption.

In comparison, a gas engine would have been too heavy for the plane, had much less power output and have cost a lot more to purchase. For that difference, with the OS's low fuel consumption, I can purchase a lot of fuel.

Clean up is a bit more of a nuisance. However, since I used a Pitts style muffler, I found that most of the glop was on the bottom of the plane. The entire airframe was not covered.

As for the additional field support, such as starters, that is not an issue for me. I always hand start. Once you know how to set up and start these large glow engines, one easy flip of the prop is all it takes to start.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

I fly a Funtana X100 , weighs 10 lb. 10 ounces RTF ( minus fuel ) .. 18x6 Xoar prop
Engine is an MVVS 26 cc on an MVVS tuned pipe/muffler..
It runs very well, is fairly quiet and has lots of power.
Unlimited vertical and hovers between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle ..
I used the original 14 ounce tank that came with the plane and can easily get 20 or more minutes of hard flying ..

Really depends on the weight of the model
If it is much over 11 pounds then a 26 cc gas engine will probably dissapoint you ..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I would consider putting in O.SFX160 in it has lots of power.If you want to go to gas you better make sure you have the power .Which you will not have with 26cc gas.You need to go bigger.

fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.