Cold weather flying...any hints/advice? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Re: Cold weather flying...any hints/advice?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The goggles is a great idea, i have that problem even in the early fall with watering eyes... must have sensitive eyes. A van would be perfect just keep everything inside until your ready to fly. I have only flown twice in the winter and it's fun, one thing i really liked was if your plane is darker colours you never lose it in the background when close to landing like you can in the summer. I will be flying my Seawind EP this winter easy and quick to get going.
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

In my younger days, I went winter flying with the guys in the Mississauga Club. What they wore and used is still true today: (BTW, these were IC engines, electrics were still much of a pipedream -- 1980's)
Snowmobile suit and boots, toque, gloves AND mitts.
Sunglasses and baseball hats that fit over toque.
Pre-tune the engine for a slightly wet run (some smoke trailing behind during the fall) and LEAVE IT ALONE!
Good batteries, perhaps with the single-use heating pads to keep the major cold off
Make sure that everything is tight before you head out
Plug the glow-driver on and let it sit a bit before starting up.
Watch for frostbite as well as propbite on cold fingers.
Floats are easier to use than skis (tends to cross over footprints on the runway)
Have somewhere to keep warm (even if a 45-gallon drum burning wood scraps.)
Pack along hot beverages.
Make sure that you can go to the bathroom without having to remove everything.
Have a small toboggan (three feet long) for dragging in everything from the car park, especially if you have to troop it in from the road and not the parking lot.

When it gets really cold, like -40 range, don't go flying....
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I'll second the floats idea. They work great and don't affect the flight characteristics of the plane as much. I use Beegee plastic floats these. They work great. I also clean the head of my motor and wrap it with foil tape to keep it warmer. I don't do this with good motors as they probably run hot once in a while. Also keep your fuel warm before you take off. Some of it seems to gel up a bit.

Indoor? Indoor is for puftas! Real men/women fly in the cold

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

Electric Flying
LiPo batteries do not like cold weather, so I revert back to NiMh battery packs when I can. When I use LiPo's I keep them in an inside pocket before flying to keep them warm. I carry all my batteries in a small foam chest with a warmed up bag my wife uses for sore muscels -- bought at a Drug Store. I heat this bag in the Micro for about 3 minutes before leaving to fly and find that this keeps the batteries warm for a couple of hours.
I charge the NiMh's up before I go to the field,and then put them on charge just before I fly. I find this final charge warms them up and then fly immediately after they are taken off the charger. On landing I put them back on the charger right away and thus keep them warm.
I also reduce the size of the cowl cooling holes, to reduce the flow of cold breeze through the model.
I also have used Nicads in this manner, but have abandoned them long ago and prefer NiMh's now.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #25
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Quote: "Fly with a buddy. The only thing worse than tuning an engine in the cold is doing it alone!"

When we went flying in Northern Ontario at -15 F during the New Liskeard "Dog Dayz of Winter" Fun Fly, and at other such times, make sure you have a buddy close to hand the tranny over to when the fingers get cold. ( every 3 to 4 minutes) so you can warm up your hands and fingers. Believe me, its not a good feeling trying to land your plane when you can't even feel your hands!

It might not be practical for going out for just a couple of flights, but for the Fun Flys, one of the guys always brought and setup a tent equipped with a propane tent heater. It was much easier to warm yourself and equipment up in the tent.

Did anyone say "Hot Chille"? Goes great with cold weather flying.

If you've never done winter flying, you're in for a real treat. You won't believe the performance you get from your plane in the cold dense air! Your plane will fly like it's on rails! Be prepaired to modify/adjust your landing technique because your plane will want to just keep on flying!

First flight, set up your needles and then forget about them. Just keep yourself warm, get in some great flying and have a good time being out with your friends!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Skis - water proof the wooden ones - float plane and planes with floats work good too - don't have to worry about foot prints
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twist on floats.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	39815  
WillyT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #27
RCC Apprentice
I am: Marc P

Total Props: 0

Do not lick your antenna
mporlier is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #28
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Originally Posted by mporlier View Post
Do not lick your antenna

Lol, good one! Doesn't apply to 2.4Ghz users, although I wouldn't want to lick those ones either.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.