Best radio for heli requiring 5 channels - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
I am: asdfasdfasdf

Total Props: 0
Best radio for heli requiring 5 channels

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I'm new to this site and hoping if someone could help me understand what i need to look for in a transmitter/receiver package.

I have a heli that requires at least 5 channels though I wouldn't mind have 6 or 7 for future add-ons.

I've looked at Futaba and Spektrum with 6 channels and 7 channels though I've also noticed mode 1,2,3,4 as well as programmable features.

Kits I think might be worth getting were the Futaba 6EX or 6EXHP or Spektrum DX7 but i'm sure there are other radios out there with more bells and whistles that I may just not need for my first heli.

Seeing as there's AM, FM w/PPM PCM and now with FASST technology in 2.4Ghz, what's the best way to go or what's the best bang for the buck? What do I gain over one and not the other.

I've read a whole lot of forums topics and i get mixed opinions. I thought I'd give this a shot and see what you guys have seen in your experiences with radios.

Thank you!

BlackHawk9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Re: Best radio for heli requiring 5 channels

I'd say go with the newest technology which is the 2.4 ghz system, as far as brands go , find out what most of the guys you'll be flying with use and choose that ( wheather it be Futaba, JR,etc. ) that way they'll be able to help you with programming and setting up your heli, and radio. good luck. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4

Ken nailed it, I would go with 2.4 and pick whatever everyone around you is flying. Having help with setup is key. Good Luck.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

in my opinion i would go with a jr 8103 H. even tho its 72 mhz , its a darn good tx. 3 different models can be flown on it, and on each of those models you have 10 model memory. you have Heli's, aircrafts and gliders. just my 2 cents. and i for one dont trust 2.4 mhz cause of everything that is on that frequency. but thats another discussion. to each their own however.
and happy flyin
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hey there,

I thought I'd get in with my two cents.

"The best radio" definitely depends on your wants and needs. 2.4 GHz radios are still fairly new, so they will cost you more money and are harder to find used. However, they provide added protection against being "shot down" from interference on the same frequency.

72 MHz radios were the standard for many years, and lots of us have logged thousands of flights without having been shot down. With everyone switching over to 2.4 GHz, 72 MHz radios and receivers can be obtained second-hand for very reasonable prices.

I try to get the very most out of my modest hobby budget, so I use a 72 MHz radio. I use a JR 7202 synth, which has a 20-model memory (it scares me how 10 just isn't enough...), 7 channels, options for SPCM, ZPCM, or PPM, and cost me less than $100 used. Since it is synthesized, it can be used on any channel without switching crystals. I have a variety of receivers that I paid between $20-$50 for.

These options work well for me, and I've never had problems with glitching, shoot-downs, etc. If I had more money than I do, I might go for a 2.4 GHz system.

Starting off in this hobby is expensive. If you start with 72 MHz, you'll save a good bit of money. However, if you want to switch to 2.4 GHz at a later date, the cost will be high.

It is all a balancing act, and in the end it comes down to personal choice.

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
I am: asdfasdfasdf

Hey guys, its amazing how friendly and informative these forums can be. Its great to see others willing to give their experiences with this hobby. I kind of feel bad knowing I don't have too much to offer right now but eventually when i start building my own experience i can offer that back to the community!

Well as for the radio, I've chosen to go with the JR 8103 and the 649S rx. Hooked it up last night to the heli and looks great so far. So I have the pitch, throttle, gyro, and the rudder connected but then there's two servos left that i would assume have to do with the heli leaning left and right or advancing forward or reverse....what's that term called? Yaw? sorry if I seem like a newb...
BlackHawk9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.