What glue for coroplast? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #11

Total Props: 1
Re: What glue for coroplast?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by redvan View Post
Do you have to flash the coro with a torch before using gorilla or CA?
the usual response is yes. There is a knack to it so practice on scrap first.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: John G

Total Props: 2

Agreed, flash if you want. Just give it a good sanding, I guess what I meet was kicker, apply Med CA then kick it, For some reason you get a better bond when you use kicker, I think it may have something to do with it heating up.

johnnyg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

I almost always 'woodpecker' my coro. The PU glue will foam up into the holes for a very tight bond.

I have stopped flashing and cleaning with alcohol/paint thinner, and just woodpecker, sand, and use PU glue.

Again, 8 hours can be a bit of a wait though.
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

It's funny everyone has their own method. I personally don't flash and use med CA. Back in the day when I used to flash I was building a model and forgot to flash a few joints. They turned out to be the best joints I had ever done. No more flashing after that. I probably did not do it correctly. I think it depends on the coro and what they use to release it from the mould. I've also tried Gorilla glue and I hate it! I may try it again someday and woodpecker my coro.

Cheers. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
Jacques T.
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jacques T

Wow! 2 pages of reply in one day!
Lots of things to try out, thanks everybody. I asked a long time ago
the signmaker of my wife for the exact stuff he was using but all I got was
a vague 'rtv silicone' answer, he was probably scared I'd start fixing signs
for people..... I'll try a few test pieces.

Jacques T. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor

I borrowed a heavy duty stapler from work one weekend, they kind that will stable 50+ sheets of paper. The idea was to staple the trailing edge of wings with it. To keep the coro from crushing, I shimmed the stapler to limit it arm's closing.

More research is needed and alas, I no longer have access to the stapler. I thinking that combined with a staple gun, you could probably build an airplane in under an hour.
redvan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #17
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

I have built several SPAD Debonairs and Das Plas Sticks and I have always only used Medium CA glue.

I give the seams a 1/2 overlap then I use 100 grit sandpaper and give the seams a good scraping on both sides of the joint. Then, what I feel really helps is to wipe the glue areas with Acetone. I then take a sharp point and poke holes all down the areas to be glued. I never use a full bead of ca, (this is KEY to getting a proper glue joint) just little dotts about every 1/4". Put the seams together and weight them down or clamp them for approx 1/2 hour and you have a seam that will be very very difficult to ever pull apart.

I have sold approx 4 Spads to guys in my club and they are still flying them after 3 full seasons with absolutely NO hint of the seams seperating. It might sound like a long process but actually it goes very fast. I can build a complete 60" wing in less than 1 hour using this method including the drying time!

4mm coro for the bottom of the wing with ailerons attatched and 2mm coro for the top of the wing. A 60" wing needs to be built in two halves and joined at the centre with a 5" piece of 4mm coro wrapped around from top and accross the bottom of the wing. I cut 5/16" strips of pine from a clear piece of 2" X 4" for the spars and use the same proceedure to tack glue them in place with the Medium C/A.

I fly my SPAD Debonair 60" span using a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro 2 stroke engine and let me tell you, I really hork it around and it take a tremendous amout of abuse. Have never had a wing come apart....NEVER!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 11-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #18

H.D. staples were also one of the suggested methods. Put some thin ply between the pieces to give the staples something to bite in to (as well as preventing crush). Just at the staple point, not the whole length.

What's the worst that could happen? It's fun seeing how they come down when trying to fly on one wing
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
RCC Apprentice
I am: Daniel
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

My vote for Med CA
Clean with windex flash with propane torch and small dot of med CA every 1/4 inch

Bonne chance!!!
Coro Fly like Balsa... But it crash so much better!!!

Last edited by lecrote; 12-18-2008 at 08:45 PM.
lecrote is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

You guys have all obviously never used contact cement. We have built literally dozens of spads, so I can attest to this.

It is the best bar none for spar to coro joints, and on flat surface to surface coro joints such as ailerons, wing trailing edges, fuse doublers. Simply lightly scuff the surface with 220 sandpaper, apply two coats to each surface, let dry and press them together. I've never had a joint fail, and it has just enough flexibility to give in an impact instead of cracking.

Having said that, PU and CA glue both have there uses with coro.

PU, with the addition of 1 drop of water per ounce, is excellent for bedding 4-40 rod in coro flutes, and also, it is exclellent for brushing on the inside of a rounded fuselage to stiffen and reinforce the coro.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.