1500 mah TX battery. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Angry 1500 mah TX battery.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just purchased a brand new high end radio,(quite expensive).It comes with a 1500mah tx battery. What has me a little confused is that I slow charged it for 16 hrs, discharged it on an Accucycle. It only showed 1239 mah, the 2nd cycle was 1235 mah, the 3rd cycle was 1201mah and the 4th cycle was 1215 mah. I phoned the supplier and he said that it's a normal reading and the battery should be fine.SSSOOO in his eyes a 1500 is only a 1200. Then maybe a 1200mah would be a 950mah. Or maybe a a 700mah would be a 500mah. The unit i bought promoted a 1500mah, and at that price thats what I want and expected. Does anybody think the battery might be at fault,or does everybody buy a battery of certain mah value and get much less than ecpected.
Does anybody hav any thoughts or input on this one?
Thanks G.
Gerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Re: 1500 mah TX battery.

Batteries dont reach their full potential till after a few charges.especially the ni-mh....
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Sheena M

Total Props: 0

What low voltage did you go to. Most chargers/dischargers go to 1.1 volts but the ratings are based on .9 volts per cell. I find if you discharge to .9......7.2 volts on TX it comes close to the rated capacity.
ss40a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

When that charger flashes green and tells you the battery is ready, hit the charge button again and watch how long it continues to charge. Another 8 to 10 hours I'll bet. After the second charge is complete hit discharge and I think you'll find your alot closer to peak then. Those chargers will not take a big battery all the way up on one charge cycle. I have four of them and will some day buy a real good charger.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

I build all my own packs for both Rx and Tx. and then give them a good soaking charge of at least 24 hours at the overnight rate. 16 hours for the initial charge on brand new cells doesn't sound like enough time to me. 16 hours is what you would charge them AFTER the packs have been initialized.

I personally have always done it like this and my packs always come out at least at the rated capacity. Red Scholefield says that once packs will not charge to within 15% of their rated capacity, the packs should be considered no longer viable for RC airplane use. To be within that 15% of rated capacity, your packs should be charging to at least 1275 Mah for a 1500 pack. If your packs are only getting up to 1235 or 1201 Mah, then they are already falling below the 15% margin for use and is not acceptable.

You could try discharging the pack to a cutoff voltage of 0.9v and put them back on the overnight charger for 24 full hours and then do a full discharge, see if that helps bring them back. IF not, I would insist that your dealer give you a new pack as yours is defective.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 11-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

You don't want to take a batt. all the way down till it's empty. Very hurtfull to them. That's why there is a cuttoff on your discharger. Sometimes, because cells don't all reach the bottom all at the same time, the first one down can go reverse on you which makes it unrecoverable scrap. Had it happen on some batts that were left on in a lost plane. This is on nicads and NMH batts. If you were to take a 1500 batt. all the way down, it probably would read 1500 discharged, But I wouldn't want to find out.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I slow charged it for 16 hrs, discharged it on an Accucycle.
At what current?
If it came with a 100mA charger you'll have to charge it 20-24 hours.

Charge it on the Accucycle at 150mA, it should take 12 hours.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.