Check this video out!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don M

Total Props: 0
Re: Check this video out!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think there are many ideas as to what is a safe place to fly. When I started out I flew for two years in a park area that was wide open and larger than the club field I now fly at. I thought that was safe till I was flying one afternoon and got knocked over from behind and of course plane went out of control and crashed. A happy hound that someone had let off leash jumped up on me from behind without warning wanting to lick me to death. Luckily that park crash did not hit a car in parking lot or any kids. The last couple years I fly at maac sanctioned club only and would not consider doing it at a park. I am not so sure that that particular neighborhood with houses spaced that far apart is much more dangerous than some of the crazies I have seen flying fast delta's in the parks this last summer. Oddly enough, park flying seems to be accepted.
Lakota is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Oddly enough, park flying seems to be accepted.
Not by everyone, I still personally will not fly in parks, I don't really think the majority of people in this hobby realize the potential for disaster by flying even foamies in a park. They are still model aircraft and should be treated as such, flying at a designated field where people know what it is and enter at their own risk expecting model airplanes in the area is where they should be flown plain and simple.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Ed Smith

I can refer only to Brantford and Brant County. Flying model airplanes in public parks is prohibited. It is that simple. School property is private property. Anybody flying on that type of property is taking a very grave risk. As I understand it, with those restrictions the MAAC group insurance is not available to those flying.

The hobby stores have a responsibility in this matter. Walk into any hobby store and the shelves are full of "Park Flyers" it states it on the box. "No experience necessary", "Teach yourself to fly" is written all over the boxes. The hobby stores are doing a disservice to this hobby. The people who buy these items will very soon be disillusioned, break the airplane and disappear. They are not repeat customers such as most of those that post here. If the hobby stores were to explain the responsibility and implications of flying these models they would not sell any.

Sooner or later it will happen and we will all be lumped together as irresponsible people playing with dangerous toys at the expense and inconvenience of others.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Interesting comment about the sellers' responsibility, Ed. That is almost exactly what happened to controlline flying after Cox began selling their plastic planes in a "beginner" package in mass-marketing venues such as K-mart. Ask any experienced c/l flyer, and he will tell you that almost all of them required more skill to avoid crashing than even the most sophisticated precision aerobatic (stunt) c/l model. It put off any number of potential model flyers. (Of course it didn't help that we all flew unmuffled engines in the park or at the local school yard in those days.) Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #25
RCC Contributor
I am: corey p

Total Props: 3

the problem is that anyone with money can get one of these planes or helis, I have to agree with Ed that the hobby stores should have more info about MAAC and how dangerous these could be, maybe there should be something about MAAC and safe flying practice inside the kits with the manual, especially in the larger sized planes. i still fly in a field that I feel is safer than the local club and some may not agree with that but oh well were not going to get into that again..
prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #26
Ed Smith

When it comes to flying in public parks safety is not the issue. In many jurisdictions the activity is illegal, bylaws are in place that prohibit it. In such places anybody flying in public parks are breaking the law and subject to prosecution.

I wish it was not so. My house backs on to a city park. I could walk out of my back door and fly, but I do not.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.