2nd plane choice - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Barry B.

Total Props: 0
2nd plane choice

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As the title says what would be a good choice for plane number 2, kit built. The candidates are (in my current order of preference) CG Tiger 60, SIG 4*60, GPM Super Sportester 60, or CG Super Chipmunk.

A little background to help with the advice for plane 2.

Newbie pilot, got hooked on the hobby this fall on a come & fly day. Current trainer (under construction) Hobbiestar Mk III, Thunder Tiger GP61, Spektrum DX7. Practicing like crazy on FS One, original trainer choice was a Alpha 60. Putting in the sim time until the spring flight training can start (what else can a newbie do this time of year). But its a long winter and I need to scratch this RC itch I've picked up. So to stop myself from doing something mmm..... stupid, why not build the graduation plane. Indoor flying really isn't an option, very few dates locally, and electrons & foam can't compete with 2 stroke exhaust & balsa!

So there you have it another poor soul hooked on this hobby. All recommendations & advise accepted with thanks.

My other passion...... you guessed it 2 stroke exhaust & snow!

sled is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Re: 2nd plane choice

You'll love a Tiger 60 as a second plane. I changed mine to a tail dragger and carved on a cowl. OS61 sf for power. Built it 6 years ago and I still take it out every spring and wring it out. Great first low wing plane.

I also have a CG Super chipmunk, same setup os61 sf. It really goes. I would add it after I had some time on my tiger 60. It goes where you aim it and is faster than the Tiger 60.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

Any of those planes you list will do the job. There are slight variations in how they perform to be certain. Any one of them will do though.

Here's an idea for you. Get your trainer finished and learn to fly the cr*& out of it. You will then have a much better idea of what you want and what would be appropriate in your case for that second plane. You might even find that you would prefer something a bit more challenging than the planes you listed, such as an Extra, Edge, Ultimate bipe or so on. There's nothing to stop you from graduating to one of those if you have a great foundation.

My first real trainer was a Kadet Senior, kit built and my second plane was a Diabolo 1/4 scale aerobatic monster. It worked out perfectly. What a blast.

The problem with loading up on a bunch of stuff at this stage with the future in mind is that in so many cases, once that future arrives, you wind up with a bunch of stuff which no longer fits your tastes or plans or both. When you liquidate it, you lose lots of money. You also wind up with a bunch of money tied up in stuff which for you becomes obsolete.

However, there are quite a few who have "the disease" and wind up just collecting a bunch of stuff which ultimately never gets used - gotta have at least one of each of the latest, greatest whatever it is to come out. To each his own.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 9

My second airplane is a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40. I love it. I set the wing up with flaps (no crow with the ailerons), and the plane flies great. I pretty much have to stick with 40 sized planes for now, due to space limitations.

It was a long, tough process, with tons of reading to decide what I wanted. In the end I got a plane that I could transfer my engine and electronics from my trainer (Hobbico Avistar) to. I really want to build something this winter, maybe a Great Planes Ultimate 40, or a Ken Park designed Shark. We'll see.

There is a great build of a 4*60 on rc universe here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38..._1/key_/tm.htm, tons of photos, and lots of honesty. He really does a great job for detail as well. Good luck with your decision. Daren
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Daren71 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ken B

Those are all good choices for a second plane. I've built and flown each one of those and had no complaints about any of them. From a building stand point though, the Sig 4*60 wins hands down. Being laser cut it was a pure joy to build, so much so that I ended up building 2 others for fellow club members.
killerb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

Go ahead and build any of the planes you mention but get lots of time on your trainer. The building season is upon us but you can always get an ARF next season if you change your mind (swap meet?). It's a good idea to add something new to your next plane, like flaps. It's a progression that you will be glad you made. My second plane was a GP 1/4 scale RV-4 with a Saito 125. My instructor said to go with the over sized engine and I'm glad I did. Very stable flyer and a great plane to progress on. The larger the plane, the better they fly! Good Luck
Shad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Barry B.

Thanks to all who replied, and the choice is ....... the Tiger 60,....... no wait the Sig 4*60 ?

Really, the Tiger 60 is my choice , if for nothing else, I like the looks of the Tiger.

Maybe I'll even get crazy and do Newbie build threat........ that should be good, CA, Epoxy, & Wood Glue everywhere!

My other passion...... you guessed it 2 stroke exhaust & snow!

MAAC #80297
Young's Point RC Model Flying Club

GP Ultra Sport 60
GP Ultra Sport 60 Ver II
TF Spitfire
"Rob, grab another trash bag ...... I'm going to need it!"
sled is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave W

Good choice. Try a Super Tigre 61 for power. It'll have no lack of oompf. Also, like someone earlier mentioned, do the tail dragger conversion. Enjoy the addiction.
DaveWingman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

The CG Tiger 60 done up as a taildragger is awesome. Ground handles great and the landings....oh the landings are so sweet!!! When she touchs down, she stays down. I have a Tower Hobbies .75 2st in mine now. I had a GMS .76 in it but took it out and sold it to my brother who was in need of another GMS .76. She rocks with a .75/.76 with a 13x6 or 13x5 MAS prop.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by chuebner; 11-25-2012 at 11:43 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
RCC Apprentice
I am: Sean M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

TIGER 60 !!

I've got one, bought it slightly used and added my own radio and engine. I put an OS FSII-91 4-Stroke with a 14-6 prop (I think that's the prop size) on it. Once I figured out the best way to hook up the throttle linkage it was good to go!!

An easy flier, nice, straight, and stable. Floats in to a perfect landing almost every time. Once it's balanced and trimmed, flies great in all directions. Mine likes to do low inverted passes (5-10 ft) along the lenght of the field.

It's great for learning aerobatics, but won't quite do 3D (although I can get mine to hover for a second or two ... just not enough control throws to keep it there).

With low rates and an instructor ... I think folks could even learn / train on the Tiger 60.

Sean Murphy
Hanover, ON
smurphy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.