Polyurethane Foam - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Stu I

Total Props: 0
Polyurethane Foam

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am building a glider with a fibreglass fuse. The plans want me to back-fill the tail with foam. I have tried the spray-in stuff but I can't make it work. Everything behind the outer "skin" that forms stays a liquid. An earlier post had suggested a two-part formula sold by tower hobbies but that has been discontinued. Is there anywhere else you can get small amounts of a two-part polyurethane foam? Or is there another solution to back-filling the tail?
Moosehead is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Re: Polyurethane Foam

You may want to give "Gorilla" or any other Polyurethane glue (such as Elmer's Probond at Home Depot etc.) a try. You put this glue (kind of like corn syrup) in place then "mist" it with a spray of water. The water activates it and then will expand a lot. You should test the expansion on scrap to see how much it expands first.

I would suggest you put masking tape anyplace, or joint, the glue may leak out, this makes it is easier to clean the extra expansion off. The glue usually is finished expanding from 1 to 2 hours and is still sticky and can be wiped off, but is messy. After that it sticks so well that it is almost impossible to get a surface completely clean unless you have protected it with masking tape.

I have also used the aerosol can of spray insulation from Home Depot, it comes with an extension tube to make it easy to get into the fuselage. I used it to put the foam into the tail of a coroplast plane to stiffen the tail - you may want to try this as well. There is a couple of different types so make sure you read the lable to get the one with maximum expansion.

Hope this helps.

Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

Total Props: 0
Re: Polyurethane Foam

YOu need to watch just how much of this stuff you use. I've heard a lot of stories about people being woken up at 4 am by the loud "bang" of fuselages/floats/etc. exploding because it expanded much more than they thought.

Personally, I'd consider it a poor design if it requires this. They should have added an extra layer of FG against the bias instead.

Mine is not to reason why; I just wire them up to fry...I mean Fly!
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!!!
I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the chandelier......

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.