creepin tail servo t-rex 450se HELP - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: jesse f

Total Props: 0
creepin tail servo t-rex 450se HELP

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Sold my t-rex to a buddy and everything was good on it. Now all of a sudden the tail servo (hitec hs-65mg) is creeping like mad. It seems that it is in hh mode as it always creeps to one side slowly. I have turned off the gyro on my futaba 6exh controller as it overrides the gyro on the chopper trying to simplify the variables . It still creeps on any gain setting. I changed out my gyro(telebee headlock/standard dual rate) to an old walkera one i had kiking around. EXACT SAME PROBLEM. changed servo to new one same problem. Getting desperate put tin between foam tape between the gyro and frame(caron fiber silver frame) same problem . I even switched from pcm to ppm (like that will help i dont know i tried anyway)

also the heli piros like made doesnt matter which way the direction is set on the gyro like the gyro has no controll at all on either gyro yet when i hold the chopper an test for gyro movement i get perfect movement one way but only a quarter of the throw the other way . horns are at ninety tail slider is in the middle no binding at all
I dont know if this means anything but i had a esc(castle creations pheonix 45) problem where it whent up in smoke and had to change back to my align 35 one
there is a reason you can unplug the main motor
if everyone threw their problems in a pile you would take yours back
sniperfoote is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Re: creepin tail servo t-rex 450se HELP

You have to use subtrim on the rudder channel even in warm weather. Now that its cold, it may never stabilize.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Robert S

in heading hold you must have the trim centered or it will creep center the trim and your problem should go away let me know how it goes.

truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

The Creep is totally normal, In HH they all do it. Center all the trims and adjust tail with linkage only. When initializing make sure you do not move the heli. Do not walk with it or turn it after. If you have to move it flip your rudder back and forth several times as you walk or it will not take off level, as soon as you lift of it will turn towards where you had it when originally initialized. The weird servo action is different. If you burned you speed control you may have damaged the gyro and the servo. Try unplugging the gyro and plug servo directly into the RX
Do you get full normal swing? 65 mg is a great servo but for tail it is a bit sluggish and fast gyro can burn it out. Make sure gyro is in analog setting and control rod in the inner hole.
Try this and then see what you get

ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19

Creep is normal? With what gyros....? Problem is you got a peice of crap gyro. Sorry to hurt feelers but it is what it is, get a 401 Futaba or something like this if you want a cheaper gyro and be done with it, seriously....

TR servo, HS65 wtf....get a 9650 Futaba or 3400G, something like this that is actually a tr servo.....
All this screwing around to get a poop gyro to be "ok" and a tr servo that is well not a tr servo to be "ok" is a waist of time, trust me I been there and done that, and it's a hard lesson to be learned!
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:

Last edited by OICU812; 12-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug T

what gyro are you using? if its a cheap one, they have a hard time flying in cold weather without drifting. if its anything other than a GY401, id recommend setting it up mechanically in rate mode first. make sure there is NO TRIM at all in the radio, and get it to hover 100% dead straight in rate mode, adjusting the servo distance on the boom.....and make sure the servo is 90 degrees at first.

once you have a perfect hover in rate, unplug the heli, turn off the radio, then repower in HH and it should be bang on.

-I re-read your post, and see your using a cheap gyro. it wont take to cold temps very well. id reccomend a GY 401/9650, or my personal favorite for the 450 size birds, a logictech 2100T/3100 combo. you really need a fast servo for the tail, and the logictech is every bit as good, if not better than the 401, is cheaper, and lighter/smaller. its setup is a bit more involved, but is worth it. i find they hold very well, with a rock solid tail, and have no problems with temperature differential.

if im flying in the cold, i usually put my heli in the garage for about 10 minutes just to let the bird cool down to outdoor temps, belts get looser, the gyro cools down to ambient, and just remember, to check your tail belt, they get way looser from the cold!

good luck! hope this helps.

ginnz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

I have a question why is it when I move my tail servo it seems to stick it never returns to the center postion. I have a 401 with a futaba 9650 in HH mode.
offroader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

thats normal for HH mode on the 401, if you switch over to rate mode, the tail return to center, but not HH, it took a "reading" of the center position when you initialized, and because the bird is just sitting there (not flying) it cant reurn to center, as its not moving there (the heli).

hope this makes sense.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

I personally don't see cheap gyros being any problem in cold weather. Yes, they change settings after a few minutes of flying in the cold, but if you let them get used to the temperature they're pretty good in cold weather.

I have a 401 in one trex and a telebee in my other. I don't see any difference in the two in fast circuits and rolls and loops. I don't fly 3d, so can't comment there.

good setup is very important, no matter the gyro price. Most gyro problems are due to setup IMHO.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

my experience with cheap gyros is that the cheaper ones always drifted on me in the cold..... my ArtTech V2 always did, whild it held reasonably wee in warm weather, as soon as it fot to -5 or colder, it always had a slow creep to it. nothing major, but a creep non the less.

my logictech 2100t's havnt got this problemat all. they hold spot on, warm or cold. and i tried the same setup with both, i set them up in rate mode to hold as close to perfect as i could, then switch to HH.....

and this mechanical setup is mandatory for the logictech gyros, they say the 401 doesnt need to be set up in rate, but it doesnt hur to do it initially, the better you get it set up the first time, the less problems you'll have further down te road.

these are just my experiences.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.