How do you keep all your hobby stuff organised?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Cool Re: How do you keep all your hobby stuff organised??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
my build room is the basement (AKA the man cave)
wife cant enter without permission. but she does anyway.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: How do you keep all your hobby stuff organised??

Watch the sale flyers for wrapping paper storage tubs, they're great for covering. The clear ones will let you know what collours you have at a glance.

Engine boxes are ok for small bits, but put masking tape on the dark ones so you can write what's in them with a sharpie.

Rubbermaid margarine tubs (clear is better) will often hold all the fiddly bits for a complete airplane, minus the airframe. As you strip parts you intend to reuse from the rekitted aircraft you brought back from the field, put the screws in a pill bottle. Place in margarine tub with servos etc.

Fastest way to find a part you know you have in stock is to buy a new one.

Fastest way to find a use for that thing you've been storing for 20 years is to through it out. Within 2 weeks of tossing it in the bin, 10 uses will appear.
redvan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

my wife has one of those wrapping paper bins. that would be great.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor

Bags inside bags inside boxes inside boxes!!

Banana boxes are great because they are very stackable and hold a heap. I use these for broad categories, like "electronics".

In my "electronics" box, you'll find a shoebox-sized box for servos, a box for receivers, a box for misc. electric parts (motors, esc's, etc). Inside, say, the "servos box" (they have to be labelled!) you'll find big ziploc bags with micro servos, different categories of servos, then inside those big bags, there might be a small ziploc just for HS-55s and servo arms for HS-55s, or something to that effect.

I can usually find what I'm looking for without too many swear words. The big pain is that my bench is so crowded because it is a chore to put everything away!

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

I forgot to mention how I store plans and coverings until Redvan mentioned it.

Attached is a picture showing how I store them, I put slats across the basement ceiling beams and slide them in.

In the picture you will also notice the far wall has holes drilled into all the upright 2 X 4's 2 inches apart and I put dowels in the holes where needed and then I rest the wings on them. Under the wings is a board going across the uprights, I drill with holes to hang plane's tails on.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	41759  

Last edited by Wayne MIller; 12-12-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Shallow LakeShore
RCC Junior Contributor

I spread everything out on the building table until I can't see the table anymore. Then I go buy another table.
Shallow lakeshore
Shallow LakeShore is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I finally built myself a builing table and have 4 drawers. I use a general sort of label on all my drawers. One is for big parts(wheels, motors, props, etc). one is for electronics. One is for builing supplies(wires, glue, etc) and one drawer for covering and other long skinny things. Then I have a set of small clear drawers I bought from Can Tire for all my screws, horns and what not. At leased that's how it's suposed to be. In reality my stuff is all over and I can't blame the wife here.

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
RCC Noob
I am: tom c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

I have a work bench in the basement ( man land as mentioned above ). I use a 2' X 4' plywood board covered with cork, that's what the building happens on. When not in use it hangs from the ceiling, no damage and out of the way. I have a couple of those 12 or 16 small parts drawer cabinets on the wall above the workbench for screws, bolts, servo leads, and stuff. I bought a set of laundry room cabinets ( Wal mart ) and they are on the wall for bigger stuff, engines, radio equip, paint, epoxy and stuff. My wood and scraps are in an old aircraft kit box. The flight box is at my feet so I can use the tools from it as well. Plans are rolled and stored overhead.
TGC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Love this thread ............. really great...........

This is what I have learnt :

I have owned a tool chest at work for most of my life , I really do not know if it is organized , but I know where everything is , there is NO-WAY , that I could use someone elses tool box . I do not believe that there is any right way or way way ........... each to his or her own . That tool box is an extention of ourselves , its me

just my two cents

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5

The key also is to throw out junk periodically so that it doesn't bury the stuff that you might actually be looking for...

I have tools hung up on peg boards (most of the time....)

I use the removable tray out of a tool box to keep odds and ends of wires, linkages, brass tubing, etc.

I use a long skinny tray for misc nuts and makes it reasonably easy to fish through to find that other 5/16" washer that I need..

I have one of the rolling plastic drawer thingies for engines in temporary storage, paperwork, manuals, etc, and another one has an organizing tray that I keep hinges, control horns, wheel bushings, etc etc in...

The plastic Hitec servo boxes are great for storing servo screws, as well as servo hardware

Rolls of covering, plans etc go in old kit boxes, as does odds and ends of balsa

Airplanes, well, they are hung wherever there is space and they won't get damaged...high is good.

I don't claim to be super organized - far from it! But I have found that having a place for everything, makes life so much easier.
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright

Last edited by Wayne22; 12-12-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.