Just wasted my last $9... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Just wasted my last $9...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have every issue of RC Moddler mag from when I started flying, June 1991 till about 3 years before they went under and that was for the many reasons listed in this post. Same goes for Model Airplane News. Just couldn't stand leafing through pages & pages of advertisements. Both of those subs have been history for quite some time now!

I still buy the odd copy of M.A.N. if it has a special interest article and I like RC Fly for the engine reviews so I usually will pick up a news stand or variety store copy of that mag BUT definitely no more subscriptions. To me its like gambling, you pays yer money and ya takes yer chances as to whether there is anything at all worth while. I don't like paying for 10 copies out of 12 of useless binded shiny paper. Its not even good enough to use in the john, and I don't mean for reading!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I'm afraid I agree - MAN is steadily becoming just like RCM became and I'm afraid my interest does not lie in giant models or even really in glo at all. Too much ARF as well. Flying Models does rather better but must admit I've never got to read Fly-RC (sorry Andrew!) or even RCReport though I've heard good things about it.
Backyard Flier is just another glossy. The British mags are quite good and show you what is going on there and in Europe but not a lot of content in one issue and very expensive. Occasionally try and pick up a copy of one of the German magazines but they're hard to get. Flying Models just cost me $50 renewal but why do the publishers have to collect the GST for gosh sakes? When MAN comes up for renewal, I'm not sure I will, although I've got issues going back 50 years or more - it started 6 years before I was born!

Last edited by Spitball; 12-14-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

as for myself, with 1 kid in school and another starting next year i will be purchasing the Fly/RC for a little while longer as it is the only mag that i don't already subscribe to that is on the list my son brings home. That said i totally agree i have yet to see a neg. review yet which is annoying. However if i'm looking at buying a plane i always hit up, RCU, RCGroups, RCCanada, Flying Giants, etc. before i buy.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: doug c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

I am in complete agreement with Jim Brown on his comment about RC Report magazine. Gordon Banks and his editors do a great job with the magazine.
I also pick up Model Aviation magazine put out by the AMA from my local hobby shop. Lots of great articles for the price of $4.95 + tax.

dccoop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

My sentiments exactly. I quite buying that rag six months ago, nothing but advertising and a few useless short articles, not worth .10 cents. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

I used to be able to get a cheap subscription to MAN through my sister in law who was a teacher and when they had their annual magazine drive at the school where I could get it for $25 a year. At that rate I felt like I got something for about $2 a magazine but I would never pay newstand prices for it.

Fly RC is OK, I read some of the articles by Scott Stoops and of course Andrew Coholic's engine reviews but the rest is not very useful.

As stated twice already RC Report is the best of the bunch. I have subscribed for about 7 years and it has provided lots of good guidance and information. I will keep up my subscription on that one but none of the others.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

well.......less trees to cut down

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
RCC Noob
I am: T.M.

Total Props: 0

Agreed, I am new to the hobby (couple years now) and I usually go about 3 or 4 months before I am just itching to read something about the hobby that's not online. That being said, I'm not a fan of much of the content of the above mentioned magazines. I'm more interested in the tips and tricks of the hobby, not so much about how the latest foamy EDF plane will make me feel like a real jet pilot...Please, what am I, 6yrs old?
hollywoodhitman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #19
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Smile Re: Just wasted my last $9...

Tried these guys a good read!!!! found to be a very wide variety of stuff worth checking out.

RC SPORT Flyer Magazine.
Not Happy? - Form your own Jet club "OVJ"
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 2

Back when RC Sport Flyer was Quiet Flyer it was very interesting. Lots of articles on aerodynamics and stuff that I had never even heard/thought about. Now it just seems to be an E-Flite ad like backyard Flyer is. I'm letting my subscription run out on that one.
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.