Frankinstien kills the winter blahs - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Smile Frankinstien kills the winter blahs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The summer was a bummer, I never really flew. The times I found I had a chance, were few and far between.

Since then I took a break. The fall was busy... and now not so much. I have had time to revisit my shop, and came up with some interesting projects to cure my deepening winter time blues.

Many of you may have had a chance to fly this season. If you did there are likely some cruel always there are. It is sad when a plane goes down, but what fun to recreate new life from broken dreams!~!

In the last week I have built three "new" planes from my collection of broken and or incomplete planes. My personal favorite is a Trainer Fuse matched up with a set of Yak 54 wings. Sounds crazy , it looks crazy.....

This is my second winter in the hobby. Lasy winter I built and flew about a dozen small foammies, and mid sized electrics. This winter I am picking up the peices and discovering the joy of modeling!

The second "frankenstien" is a PC-9 foammie that I really liked. I crashed it over and over again, each time picking up the peices and putting it back together. The fuse took most of the abuse, and soon was no longer flight worthy. In my parts kit was a spare fuse from a bipe that was about the same size. not quite a PC-9... but it works!

Building these planes has allowed me to move into a new phase of my hobby. I now have the confidence, and some of the skills and experiance to build and enjoy flying the planes I once crashed....In the end I have a new outlook on crashes and mishaps. Never give up on a plane. When you crash it can be a major let down, and in the aftermath it is easy to discard potentially good parts as junk. I always strip and mine my crashed planes for even the smallest parts... you never know when something is going to come in handy.

I am sure there are some pretty crafty and resourceful builders out there that can show us some of the weird and crazy "frankenstiens" they have built and flown. Anyone have a favorite? Lets see them!
MAAC Member
highflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: Frankinstien kills the winter blahs

C'mon! You can't ask for pics without posting your own!

Okay, maybe you can.

Here's my favorite monstrosity. After ripping the wing off of my trainer mid-flight, the fuse and tail were destroyed. Kept the wing and added some coro and downspout. The new trainer had a lighter wing loading than the last!

More info here.
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

I would post pics. I'd love to really, however my digital camera and windows are refusing to co-operate... anyway, I will get some pics up.

Thanks for your post benjhind!
MAAC Member
highflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

I'm in... (no pictures/just words)....

One of my Stories,... 'IF', 'You All', Do not Mind...

One of My builds started out as a 'rebuilt/semi completed' CG Falcon 56. Not the original, but a Mk. II/III and the fuse was a banana, and I was able to get the warps out of the wing, and managed somehow to put a .40 on it and a huge tail and big ailerons on it....

I Called it the "Falconstien" and it was GREAT !
Early years were fantastic, ...
-Hand Launch? (Not too many Pilots realize how LGs are very Heavy ! ! !)
-Big Wheels? (who needs the small ones???)
-Floats? (A cool challenge, I recommend it to anyone ! )
-Skiis? (Even Harder, only because of the variable hard/soft snow conditions), .When the weather is below Zero, Reasonable people...tend to get more Practical ! ! ! )

And all of the Stories get even Better and Better..

The nice thing for me, I am not an expert,

And I will prove it, flying next time, And I will learn something new..

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

P.S. My Falconstien contacted over 12in. of ice, spinning down, with an aft CG, learning how hard ice is.... It Is friggin Hard !

With enough oz.s of -15C congealed castor oil on the tail from earlier flights, How could anyone have known that would change the CG that Much? ? And I could not get it out of that spin ?
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.