Post your Battery weight - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Post your Battery weight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Took a moment to weigh an A123 2300 ma cell.

73.6 grams (2.6 oz) with 1/2 length tabs attached
Ken clearly states cell.

Originally Posted by michael v
And if you are making a 2300mA battery from Dewalt again you are using 2 cells.
So, what you are saying is; you don't know about any a123 systems cells other than the ones in front of you.

a123 systems make a wide range of cell sizes, only the chemistry and voltage are constant across the product range. DeWalt uses both 1100 and 2300 mAh cells in their products. Black and Decker VPX (now discontinued) only used 1100 mAh cells.

Ken's cells came from a DeWalt 36 Volt pack (10s 1p 2300 mAh a123 cells). I have a DeWalt 18 Volt Lithium pack for my tools, different again at 6s 2p 1100 mAh a123 cells. Dewalt is rather liberal on the pack voltage definition.

a123 also makes larger cells for hybrid cars and racing motorcycles.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Emery D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

Here is a pic of a disassembled dewalt 36 volt pack Ten 2300 ma cells ken was giving the weight of a single cell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt36-23.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	44870  
Emdry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #23
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

OK guys. Sorry I haven't kept up to al the posts.

I double checked with my friend about his aircraft.

The plane is scratch built.
The wing is a copy of the Great Planes Extra 300
The fuselage is similar in shape but the construction is different.

On the bench with 6s 5000 ma LiPo pack it draws 50 amps. (48 amps with 7s 4600 ma A123 cells)
In flight with LiPos it draws around 30 amps at full throttle. (checked with watts up meter in flight). NOTE: Due to the size of the A123 pack there wasn't enough room for the Watts up meter.
Total aircraft flying weight with Lipos 61/4 pounds
Total aircraft flying weight with A123 7s 2p pack is a couple of ounces under 7 pounds.

He also corrected me about the flight time. It was 12 minutes (not 12.5) at wide open throttle after allowing for the take off and landing. The flight was at full throttle to test the battery under full load for his aircraft which would give him the minimum time of a flight.

After the flight the batteries still had some power left in them.

Yes these batteries do weigh more but the flight performance is quite good in medium to large size aircraft that can handle a bit of extra weight and have enough room for the extra size of the battery pack.

The plane could probably have a reasonably good flight on a 7s 1p A123 2300 ma pack under normal flying conditions.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.