Wood Glue or CA? Opinions please - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Wood Glue or CA? Opinions please

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Starting work on a Senior Telemaster, my winter project, and I'm looking for opinions on building with CA or carpenters glue (Rona brand, if it makes any difference).

The Telemaster is predominantly balsa, obviously, and I plan to use epoxy where the plans/instructions call for it, but I'm curious about opinions on using CA vs. yellow carpenters glue for the wings, etc. Are there any advantages to one or the other for general construction? Cost is not a big deal, and drying time isn't either, as I'm not in any huge rush, so I guess that narrows it down to weight and strength. Weight probably isn't an issue either, I don't think, as the Telemaster is a lightweight plane to begin with that has a ton of lift to spare. So really, I guess it comes down to strength. Which glue is going to be stronger and offer better durability over the long haul?

I'm doing research on this topic, but I like to collect opinions from a variety of sources, and these forums have been great any time I've had questions in the past.

sclitheroe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Neil R

Re: Wood Glue or CA? Opinions please

I have built with both, and I prefer CA. Reason being cure time. Hurry or not, CA allows you to hold a piece where you want in, and fix it to that spot. Pins work good on the fuse halves, etc, but when it comes to wings, CA is the way to go. CA should come in lighter as well. Even though a telemaster is a heavy plane, weight is still always of prime concern. You don't want a flying brick IMHO.

Last edited by stepheva; 12-28-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
stepheva is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

If health is of any concern I would use the carpenters glue.

It should be non toxic.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19

Scott, I have built many planes..I used to use CA and Epoxy all the time and as stepheva said it is very quick..As time went on I became allergic to CA and started using odour free CA..Very expensive..

After awhile I started using wood glue and never looked back..It has a stronger bond to wood and is easily sandable..If you're not in a hurry wood glue is great.I still use epoxy on the firewall, langing gear etc..I also use CA at times.

I guess it all comes down to preference Carpenter's glue is now mine
Movin' on up to the top-shelf..3W!!!
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Hey guys,

Don't know if you're aware of our product we import from the UK called Super Phatic.

This glue is amazing, it's thin like CA so it will wick into wood but has no fumes or vapours to attack your nose, eyes or sinuses, won't bond you skin either. It is an aliphatic glue so as it dries it looses the water in it and becomes lighter than CA. It's not as fast as CA, but it's much faster than carpenter's glue. It sets up in 20 minutes & reaches full strength in 2 hours. Since it takes a little longer to set up, it'll penetrate deeper for a better bond. A bottle is 50ml, and is $9.50, so it's a little more economical than odourless CA.
If you'd like to see it working, check out the Fairey Firefly I'm building in the Giant Scale section.

You can order it on our website at: www.ontarioadhesives.ca we're low on stock right now but we're expecting a huge restock order this week.

If you have any questions you can PM me here or e-mail me at: ontario_adhesives@yahoo.ca
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly

Last edited by planecrazy; 12-28-2008 at 09:39 PM.
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

I use wood glue for as much as I can for a couple of reasons. You will get a stronger joint as the glue tends to soak into the wood more. It also sands way better then CA. I do use CA as a liquid pin and in places where I need a instant cure.

I used to use CA as my main glue but since switching to wood glue I seem to build a better airplane
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I can attest to Chris's 'Super Phatic' - it's my glue of choice for balsa construction and a little 50ml bottle goes surprisingly far - for frame construction by far the best choice, IMHO!!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Christopher P.
Radio of choice:

get some "super-phatic" from Chris and you won't look back. It is great!!!! I am building a small combat plane and that stuff works great and dries pretty fast without any fumes.
rubbie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up Re: Wood Glue or CA? Opinions please

If your patient then use Wood glue, if you like to build quickly then use CA. I try to use wood glue anywhere i might have to sand, but on internal stucture i use CA just because it's quicker. I am switching to Chris's super-phatic to get away from the fumes of regular CA. Best of both world's...... now if someone would come up with CA that sands easily and doens't smell..... well they'd get rich pretty fast!!
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 2

I used CA for one model and will never do that again. Not worth the cost of a set of lungs. I now use almost exclusively wood glue and the odd bit of epoxy where absolutely needed.

All the alaphatic resins that I have tried (wood glues) are very good. I have used Sig-Bond, Pica's Gluit, Titebond, Elmer's Carpenter's glue and a few others I can't remember. The one that stands out is Weldbond.

It dries incredibly fast and clear, is easily sandable, remains just slightly flexible, and its very strong.

Avail at most stores (W-Mart..) for a great price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF1446.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	42656  
MAAC 19744
Wayne_K is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.