What oldtimer to get? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft Everything about the good old days of RC!

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

Total Props: 0
What oldtimer to get?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been going thru this forum and have seen some photos of some very pretty oltimer planes. Now I have the bug and would like to get one that I could run with a 50 - 4C motor. Something that is simple and easy to fly for those (frequent) days when my little brain and thumbs are stressed out.
Can you folks offer some suggestions on what to get and also where to find these old kits.
Many thanks to all in advance for your suggestions.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Flying Farmer
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 2
Re: What oldtimer to get?

Please,anything but a Lanzo Bomber or a Playboy dude. Let other modelers out there who are not familiar with old-timer`s see that antique models do not have to be butt ugly to fly well. There are so many pre-war gas and rubber designs to choose from, why kick a dead horse?

Stand out from the crowd and buy/build a vintage model that will make others who mainly fly ARF`s and aerobatic machines want one too.

Remember, the Spitfire was a 1936 design and there has never been since a more aesthetically pleasing full size aircraft. So don`t make the same mistake as others and build the wing on a stick type model design, thinking that a slow gentle flying machine has to fall into this design philosophy to perform well.

If you are interested in a "pure" antique design that you can convert to RC assist, check out the Sam (Society of Antique Modelers) web sight and look under approved gas designs. Go through them one at time and look at the simple 3-view or photo and go from there.

Also, note the links I posted earlier for businesses that specialize in selling plans, kits, and partial kits/parts for many beautiful designs that might suit your fancy.

Don`t just stick to early gas designs either. The model I am about to start building is a enlarged rubber job blown up from 33 inches to over 90 inches. It may not fall under SAM rules, but who cares. I want a aircraft that will be proportioned well, have a light wing loading, and also look like a airplane instead of a bunch of parts flying in formation (example: Lanzo and Playboy). One of the prettiest and nicest flying old timers I have seen so far was one I built from RCM plans that was a 36 inch rubber job doubled in size to 72 inches. It flew great. It was simple to build, all sticks with no planking or compound curves. It had charm without being so bloody homely the best you can say of it that it has "nostalgic character" lol.

Most antique models were designed in a age where style and craftsmanship counted for something, like their full size golden age counter parts did. There are lots and lots to choose from out there, even more so if you also look at designs from WW2 to 1960.

So please don`t fall into the trap others have that get those few designs out there that are crude, simple , and have all the appeal of a smelly, empty tuna can. Let other modelers out there see that a old timer that is a relaxing joy to fly can also be just as sweet as any modern design.

M.A.A.C #: 18435
Flying Farmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Vlad Jandetski
Radio of choice:
JR9303, Graupner HOTT
# of RCs: 5

I think the most famous one is Curare by Hanno Prettner. Take a look. Actually all of them there http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/patternc.htm
spyder3 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Get well soon Byron

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Flying Farmer

Remember Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Playboy Senior wingspan 90- eng.OS35.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	45174  

Last edited by Second time around; 02-01-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
RCC Noob
I am: rob B
# of RCs: 12

flying is supposed to be fun, and relaxing, not stressfull. oldtimers are excellent trainers also.
robj.brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.