T rex 600e icing on leading edges!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kevin Z

Total Props: 0
T rex 600e icing on leading edges!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just got my 600 all setup and have just been doing basic hovering and transitions to forward flight. Yesterday here in Pemberton foggy with temp about -1 after about 4 minutes in the air I brought it down and had about an 1/8" of ice buildup on all my leading edges. I know its a very serious concern for full scale helis and airplanes but have never seen this in R/C.
Has anyone had this issue and is there a way to aviod it ie coating with something, hmmmmmmm Kevin's de-iceing for R/C heli's be the the first to get your orders in...opps sold out...on back order..not stocked.
Kevin in beautiful Pemberton Valley
Side note Thanks Brian in Grande Prairie great heli!!!
flyinguy-in-whistler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gar y

Re: T rex 600e icing on leading edges!!!

Yes ........ back in the mid 70`s. I had it happen several times. A day with dryer air cured my problems even when the temprature was lower. The ice build up got so bad that the heli settled to the ground. All I was doing at the time was hovering. Good thing ............

Retirement is a full time job.
ve1ahm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Back when I was in aviation we used to use ICEX on anything rubber to prevent moisture from adhering.

Too expensive to buy alone, so I would say a few good coatings of wax, silicone spray or even the old standby, PAM, (gasp).

Ever try ski wax?
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

the ice will reduce the effectiveness of the blades however, the high power to weight ratio we run at will offset this to some extent. If you know the conditions are right just be more careful. One of the AP operators was under similar conditions and noticed a huge drop in performance. Mind you these helicopters are flying at least twice as heavy as a normal heli

Last edited by tech1; 01-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jerry Kutra

Was the ice uniform on the blade or more near the root. I would think that the tip speed is high enough to deice it self from the heat generated by skin friction?

Cheers Jerry
Hard job competing with gravity.
eyeinsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I'd say be careful once you loose lift you are done and it's not cheap to repair... I've had ice on the blades on my bird and it was only a 1/16 inch thick and called it a day not worth a heli to find out the hard way...
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

Blade icing is not a big issue until it either coats the blades so much that they lose lift (it takes lots to do that) or the the ice starts to come off and causes a imbalance, that is the real danger. I have done lots of flying in full scale helicopters where we experienced blade icing, sometimes very severe. We never knew until we landed that we had any icing.

I have seen a number of different anti-icing system on full scale helicopters. The most popular is to electrically heat the blades. But they are so many problems with anti-icing systems, they are usually disabled and the Pilots are told to stay out of icing conditions.

Anti-icing systems are used to prevent ice from forming and De-icing systems are used to remove ice that has formed. A example of a De-icing system is the DC 3 Dakota had bladders on the wing leading edge that would blow up and break the ice off.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.