WTB charger for A123 batteries. Got one! Thanks. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
FS - Electric Gear Post your electric gear for sale here. Electric motors, batteries, ESCs, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: WTB charger for A123 batteries.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Boy!! It is getting more and more interesting! I didn't buy anything yet, we still have snow on our field. Just to test my set up, I pulled power supply out of old Sherwood stereo receiver. Found two pins with 30V DC and regulated 2.4A. The battery that I put together contains 7cells (2300ma) and no pigtails for balancing yet. If I leave this contaption connected to this battery and charging, it would go all the way up to about 4.3V. So I pull the plug at 28V. Have done it three times so far. It is only good for experimenting in my garage and soon I will have to get a charger that can be used out at the field.
Thanks for your input, now I know where to look.

Batteries aren't cheap. You should charge them properly and look after them.

I have a cheap charger that will charge A123 cells too. I use my FMA because it is more accuarte than the other one.

It also automatically cuts down the charge rate when the ambient temperature is low enough that charging at a high rate might damage the cells. It also has a "low voltge charge" feature which kicks in if the voltage on a cell is lower than 3 volts.

Like most other chargers it will also do the storage charge for batteries too.

In the interest of safety it will not charge a battery pack unless the balancer is hooked up. This is the best way to charge as the cells are always balanced and should have a longer life span.

I know several other people who will only use FMA CellPro chargers.

My cellpro can also be upgraded over the internet.

Yes the cheaper chargers will usually work OK.

The choice is up to you.

Last edited by Ken Currell; 01-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Originally Posted by JAYHUC View Post
There is a place in ajax that sells a charger, that does it all. LiPo, LiFe, NiMh, NiCd, Pb.

Even has built in balancer. I got one and it's great, It' was only 75$.

If you ask me, if you cheep out on a charger it could mean problems down the road.

If your interested i could dig up a phone number.
Now this could be the same charger I am going to recommend. It had a price on the box of $75.00 but I have found the exact same one available through this link http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028 it is $37.99 USD they also have one in the USA wharehouse listed but for some reason it is a little more money. It would also take longer coming from the USA than China and more chance getting dinged duty taxes or whatever. I have one of these and it is basically a charger for Dummies(like the computer book Windows for Dummies). When it comes to electrics I know very little that is where my charger picks up the slack as it appears to have a small processor that knows what to do . It will chage Lipos ,Life Nicads NimH etc and knows when whatever is connected. It will even charge your glow plug charger and has a plug for it.The only trouble I had with mine was when I was charging 6s 5000mah lipo and my chargiging power source was to low (12v battery)it didn't come right out and say no power. I had to trace it out . Other than that I highly recommend it, and the price is certainly right
To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: JAY

TP610C is a waste of money. I bought a charger that is the same interface for half the cost. Charges up to 8cell and is 175watts. COmes with a built in balancer and are able to charge/balance to packs at the same time. It has a warrenty the same if not better than TP610C. As well the charger came with every kind of adptor(Deans,jst,glowplug,rx and clips.

And if i had a problem with the charger i bring it back to the store to get a replacement. TP must be sent back to HQ before anything is done.
And if you buy from hobbycity or other online stores. what do you do when you have a question they ant going to help you at hobbycity. And what if the product is DOA, you have to send it back to china. MORE MONEY ON SHIPPING.

Keep our econmy up, Buy from local hobby shops
If I listed all my aircraft it would be 10 pages long
Nor am I going to tell you my MAAC number
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello Spitball, I used this bench set up only four times to charge my only 7cell a123pack. I had to watch the metr and disconnect power at about 28V. Flight times were close to 8min and after each flight the battery reading was around 21V. Now I bought myself used Astro Flite 109 Lipo charger. When I connect this 7cell battery to this charger, it thinks it is 6s LiPo and stops charge at 25.2V! Which is what I want. My intention was to install this motor -battery combination into .60 size Staudacher, which I did. But Our only field is not very smooth and I know that many guys ripped off wooden landing gear block out of the fuse, landing on surface like this. So I moved everything into my new ARF Ultrastick. I know this plane quite well and never had any problem with its landing gear even on rough field! The plane flies really good and the performance is comparable to GMS .47 powered one, which is my second Stick. I am sure, this is not my last charger. I got it from a friend for very good price so I could not resist. I also use smaller Lipo packs in my other planes so this Astro 109 is going to be bussy.

Last edited by jan; 02-08-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Closed Thread