hsh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Hugh H.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ & 10CAP

Total Props: 1
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Another fun day in the gym - flying not exercising. We had a great turnout with a new flyer or two and a familiar summer face trying out the winter passtime. Dan Jr. (Pic 1) brought his home made tricopter. Dan is a whiz on computers and assembled his creation from computer parts he had and parts from a WII machine. It flys well and is scheduled for some refinements in the near future. The Foam Star, Gaston (Pic 2) was caught hovering so he could admire his favorite colour, BLUE Light. He is having the time of his life, and he really is the only 67 yr. old I know that can do rolling circles in a gym. The man is tireless in promoting winter flying fun in the gym and at the field in Summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	98093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaston.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	98094  
hsh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1012
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Total Props: 0

You wanna beilieve it! He's the greatest guy I've ever known, and soon, I'll get to see him face to face, hopefully not with a flyin Yak tho... Ho ho..
Looks like he and his buddy have found some newer, lighter lipos and servos, dang nab, gotta go get these now......
Hey, who's gonna break the 3 oz weight????? (How bout some helium in sealable pockets on the airframe??????????????????????)
foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #1013
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Managed to find time to build my Blue Foamie over the weekend. WOW, that was easy to put together. Very high precision, everything included, simply an awesome kit. Just looking forward to fly it, that's if I can get the propeller to stay on... I use a Turnigy 2204-14T 19g Outrunner and a GWS 8043 propeller which, once I hit full throttle, happily flew across the room, leaving a scar on my airplane before it took off. Sure enough, it's not a perfect fit. Do you guys modify the propeller (add a nut, or fill with epoxy and drill to right size?). Or should I simply use two turns of the rubber band (I did only one) since it's rather loose?

Here's the motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...204-14T(1).jpg
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #1014
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
Managed to find time to build my Blue Foamie over the weekend. WOW, that was easy to put together. Very high precision, everything included, simply an awesome kit. Just looking forward to fly it, that's if I can get the propeller to stay on... I use a Turnigy 2204-14T 19g Outrunner and a GWS 8043 propeller which, once I hit full throttle, happily flew across the room, leaving a scar on my airplane before it took off. Sure enough, it's not a perfect fit. Do you guys modify the propeller (add a nut, or fill with epoxy and drill to right size?). Or should I simply use two turns of the rubber band (I did only one) since it's rather loose?

Here's the motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...204-14T(1).jpg
Hi
Go to a hardware or automotive store and buy some "o" rings 5/8in. i.d.X 1/16in or 3/32in the rubber band that comes with the motor is useless, the "o" ring will cost you anywhere from $0.08 to $0.60 each.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #1015
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamball View Post
You wanna beilieve it! He's the greatest guy I've ever known, and soon, I'll get to see him face to face, hopefully not with a flyin Yak tho... Ho ho..
Looks like he and his buddy have found some newer, lighter lipos and servos, dang nab, gotta go get these now......
Hey, who's gonna break the 3 oz weight????? (How bout some helium in sealable pockets on the airframe??????????????????????)
Thanks Art, soon we'll have to add weight or turn off the ceiling fans at the gym, they're getting very light....
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #1016
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsh View Post
Another fun day in the gym - flying not exercising. We had a great turnout with a new flyer or two and a familiar summer face trying out the winter passtime. Dan Jr. (Pic 1) brought his home made tricopter. Dan is a whiz on computers and assembled his creation from computer parts he had and parts from a WII machine. It flys well and is scheduled for some refinements in the near future. The Foam Star, Gaston (Pic 2) was caught hovering so he could admire his favorite colour, BLUE Light. He is having the time of his life, and he really is the only 67 yr. old I know that can do rolling circles in a gym. The man is tireless in promoting winter flying fun in the gym and at the field in Summer.
Consider that this entire thread would not exist if it wasn't for Gaston. Does he know how to keep us all busy? Or does he know how to keep us all busy? OH!! Did I ask you does.......

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #1017
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi
Go to a hardware or automotive store and buy some "o" rings 5/8in. i.d.X 1/16in or 3/32in the rubber band that comes with the motor is useless, the "o" ring will cost you anywhere from $0.08 to $0.60 each.
Thanks for the quick answer... I probably have some in stock already. BTW, I have both props (8043 and 8040). For my first flights (maiden), what do you suggest I use?

Did you get a bit of dead throttle with that motor/ESC combo? I've tested it only with a servo tester so far, and I need about 15% throttle before it start spinning. I can probably fix that with my DX7 but I'm curious. I've used many Turnigy motors and ESC in the past, and this one is the one that take the most throttle before it start spinning.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #1018
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
Thanks for the quick answer... I probably have some in stock already. BTW, I have both props (8043 and 8040). For my first flights (maiden), what do you suggest I use?

Did you get a bit of dead throttle with that motor/ESC combo? I've tested it only with a servo tester so far, and I need about 15% throttle before it start spinning. I can probably fix that with my DX7 but I'm curious. I've used many Turnigy motors and ESC in the past, and this one is the one that take the most throttle before it start spinning.
I've been using only the 8043 SF for quite a while, you get a bit more thrust and doesn't need any adaptor.
If your throttle trim is set to minimum, you'll have to move the stick further to start it to spin than if you keep the trim at mid point.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #1019
paulbipe
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 2

A couple of us are going to get into the "lightening" aspect of these over-addicting planes. I am going to make a vacuum table to hold the foam while it is being lightened and I was wondering what is the best size of router bit to use. I may do a couple of planes free hand but its more likely that I will make a template to speed things up.
What sort of airframe weight reduction do you get but routing out the material?

Thanks
Paul
paulbipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #1020
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbipe View Post
A couple of us are going to get into the "lightening" aspect of these over-addicting planes. I am going to make a vacuum table to hold the foam while it is being lightened and I was wondering what is the best size of router bit to use. I may do a couple of planes free hand but its more likely that I will make a template to speed things up.
What sort of airframe weight reduction do you get but routing out the material?

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul
When I was milling the 32.5 in Yak by hand a couple years ago, I made a plexiglas platform to hold a Dremel and I used a 1/8 bit. I was using an MDF template sitting on the foam, I didn't have to use a vacuum table, even though it only lightened the foam by 10 or 11 grams, it's a lot when we're dealing with 4 or 5 oz. airplanes.
Today I use a CNC router and just replaced the bit with a 3/16 bit instead of 1/8, the machining time was reduced by 12 minutes, it now takes me 25 minutes. Every time you remove a few grams, you can see the difference in the flight characteristics, everything becomes easier to achieve, we have some older guys ( like me ) who couldn't hover and who now are very proud to show you their skills. What make the blue foam so favorable is it's endurance, it will take much more abuse than most other rigid foam due to the density and the thin plastic film on one side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.