RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #1021
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronljroy View Post
Consider that this entire thread would not exist if it wasn't for Gaston. Does he know how to keep us all busy? Or does he know how to keep us all busy? OH!! Did I ask you does.......
Hi Ron
My original goal was to have more people involved in indoor flying, I was having so much fun, I figured I should share... mission accomplished.
Thanks for the compliments but many other people are also responsible.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #1022
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbipe View Post
A couple of us are going to get into the "lightening" aspect of these over-addicting planes. I am going to make a vacuum table to hold the foam while it is being lightened and I was wondering what is the best size of router bit to use. I may do a couple of planes free hand but its more likely that I will make a template to speed things up.
What sort of airframe weight reduction do you get but routing out the material?

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul
Here are some pics of the setup I made before using the CNC, it worked ok but the template cost me over $100 it's very easy to make the attachment, if you need more information, just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel router 02.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	98228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel router 03.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	98229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel router.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	98230  
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1023
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0

Just did the maiden of my Blue Foamie. What an awesome plane. Assembly was very quick, instructions are great. Way to go Gaston!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Only sad part is that I was hoping to be able to fly it in a 30ft X 60ft room with 13ft ceiling, but it's just a little bit too big for it. (Well, at least until I get get more flying time with it... For now, I don't want to damage it until I really know what I can do with it.)

Came out to 107.6gr (3.8oz) without the battery, but I bought two so this is my gooffing around plane. Didn't go for light weight, but more for durability (tons of glue).

Turnigy 2204-14T motor
D05010MG metal gear digital servo for the aileron 5.7g (I love this one)
Very cheap but light (probably 2.5 to 3g) noname servos from another HK airplane for the rudder and elevator.
10 amp ESC plush (turnigy)
8043 prop.

Truly a great indoor plane.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #1024
Lash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Lashl
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14sg

Total Props: 2

Gaston, thank you for sending the plans but is there a way to print them as only outlines? With all the color in them it will kill my printer plus ink ain't cheap!
MAAC #7169
ProBro #2348
Lash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #1025
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
Just did the maiden of my Blue Foamie. What an awesome plane. Assembly was very quick, instructions are great. Way to go Gaston!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Only sad part is that I was hoping to be able to fly it in a 30ft X 60ft room with 13ft ceiling, but it's just a little bit too big for it. (Well, at least until I get get more flying time with it... For now, I don't want to damage it until I really know what I can do with it.)

Came out to 107.6gr (3.8oz) without the battery, but I bought two so this is my gooffing around plane. Didn't go for light weight, but more for durability (tons of glue).

Turnigy 2204-14T motor
D05010MG metal gear digital servo for the aileron 5.7g (I love this one)
Very cheap but light (probably 2.5 to 3g) noname servos from another HK airplane for the rudder and elevator.
10 amp ESC plush (turnigy)
8043 prop.

Truly a great indoor plane.
Hi
You'll eventually be able to hover in your basement, as you mentioned 30x60 is not that big of a space but it would be a good practice. You could lose a bit of weight by using a plush 6A instead of a 10 if you have one.
Let me know how you make out in a larger space later on.

Last edited by gbjets; 02-19-2011 at 07:16 AM.
gbjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #1026
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi
You'll eventually be able to hover in your basement, as you mentioned 30x60 is not that big of a space but it would be a good practice. You could lose a bit of weight by using a plush 6A instead of a 10 if you have one.
Let me know how you make out in a larger space later on.
It's not the 30X60ft space that is worrying me (that's plenty, particularly with so much rudder authority), it's the 13ft ceiling. If I hover my E-Flite Extra 300 in that room, even if I'm in the middle between the ceiling and the floor, I can still do a loop as I'm exiting the hover (or a full rudder move if I exit sideways). But the blue foamie look so huge that I'm worrying about not having enough room for my much needed "emergency exit manoeuvers" out of hovering (still learning!). If you hover only 5ft from the ground, the ground is coming rather fast (particularly since I could not hover a plane until I got the Extra 300, so I'm kind of new at hovering still). Also, have tons of power, so when I tried hovering closer to the 13ft ceiling (to give me room for exit), I found that only an hair on the throttle would get me to the ceiling in a split second. May simply have to try to tame the power curve with a bit in programming.

BTW: I flew my blue foamy outdoor a few day ago. Was awesome. It truly does everything I can throw at it. There was about 9 km/h wind, so hovering was funny (solid hovering, but moving sideway with the wind, so it was interesting). When flying over half throttle (major speed), my propeller was rattling, so even if I use your suggested O-ring, it does look like it could even be thighter. (though again, at half throttle, this thing is a rocket, so again, throttle curve/rate is likely a better option... )

I'll have to plug my wattmeter again on it, as I'm pretty sure I got a weebit over 6amps in full throttle (not that I really need full throttle with that plane!). Maybe that 10amp ESC is not efficient too...

Not worrying to much about my actual flying space, since worst case, the blue foamy will be my backyard (or front street) 3D plane for those windless days (those windless July days cannot come fast enough). Again though, if you ever go a second type of plane in the future, if you go for a 16" to 20" kit, I'll definitively be the first in line to buy one! Particularly if you kit it as well as the actual blue foamy! If you ever build a second model, I think you have to go this way anyway, since with so many pilots in your own indoor sessions, a much smaller plane would be a plus anyway! (more airspace, more!)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #1027
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Gaston, thank you for sending the plans but is there a way to print them as only outlines? With all the color in them it will kill my printer plus ink ain't cheap!
I was just talking to Ray our programmer, he will add or change the drawings to outlines soon, thes drawings came from our website, I just printed one page, grayscale and it still uses a bit of ink, but only black. greatersudburymodelers.com

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #1028
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Real Gambler

I can tell you'd be having a blast at our gym but the best place to go all out is outside if there's no wind, much higher ceiling. As far as the amperage, you might exceed it for short bursts but you wouldn't fly at full power for long, they can get pretty fast.
I have ideas for different planes for the next season, who knows what will happen.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #1029
Lash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Lashl
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14sg

Total Props: 2

Thanks Gaston, I will wait until this is available.
MAAC #7169
ProBro #2348
Lash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #1030
hsh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Hugh H.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ & 10CAP

Total Props: 1

Another good day at the indoor flying emporium. Photo #1 is the man responsible for the myriad of smiles seen across the country. With the following he has he will soon be known as The (Foamy) Pied Piper. Photo #2 shows the concentration needed to identify your blue plane from the other blue planes. Photo #3 shows father and son enjoyment as the rolls reverse and steve guides his dad through the indoor pitfalls. Photo #4 Gisele shows her gender correct plane. Foamy today - IMAC tomorrow?
Rumors abound for a new plane or two from Foam Star for the fall, guess we'll have to wait and see!!
Foamies forever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaston.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	98836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concentration.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	98837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry_Steve.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	98838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Girls_Game_Too.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	98839  

hsh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.