paulbipe
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 2
New Brunswick Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,

We had our first indoor of the season last night..WOOHOOOO...NO WIND!!!

I was wondering if you could get away with not using the X bracing from the wings to the body if you used a flat strip of carbon fiber in the wind as a spar (placed edge on into the foam). I weighed the flat section of CF and it was lighter that the X-brace that I removed. Anyone tried this?

My other thought was to use two servos on the ailerons (one per side) as it gives more flexibility for using the mixes in the radio. At an admitted 4gram penalty. But will allow a pull-pull set-up so I save the weight of two push-rods.

I am also going to build a 26" plane and see how it works in our gym. the 30" size just looks big.

Paul
paulbipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #1202
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5
Re: Blue Foamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbipe View Post
Hi All,

We had our first indoor of the season last night..WOOHOOOO...NO WIND!!!

I was wondering if you could get away with not using the X bracing from the wings to the body if you used a flat strip of carbon fiber in the wind as a spar (placed edge on into the foam). I weighed the flat section of CF and it was lighter that the X-brace that I removed. Anyone tried this?

My other thought was to use two servos on the ailerons (one per side) as it gives more flexibility for using the mixes in the radio. At an admitted 4gram penalty. But will allow a pull-pull set-up so I save the weight of two push-rods.

I am also going to build a 26" plane and see how it works in our gym. the 30" size just looks big. Paul
Hi Paul
I've tried many different ways and realized the x pattern is more efficient, the only thing I found to be a real benefit is some carbon bracing on each side of the fuse with 3 or 4 pieces of 1 mm CF. on each side, from the wing root to the horizontal stab. I'll post a picture later.
If you can, let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #1203
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Total Props: 0

Hey, by golly, dare dat GASTON n his new color... And, Gisel, good to see her at your events again......
Lucky guys, started already with your indoor, ours is still 4 weeks away, goldern....
Have re radioed my old Hangar Rat, the enlarged one, and am waiting with good feelings on it's first indoor flight on the 20th of November....
Aint heard from our guys yet, well, a couple, who are joining us this year, but it's still early for them, I guess....
Oh for those warm windless indoor days............................
Keep the pics comin Gas...
foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #1204
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamball View Post
Hey, by golly, dare dat GASTON n his new color... And, Gisel, good to see her at your events again......
Lucky guys, started already with your indoor, ours is still 4 weeks away, goldern....
Have re radioed my old Hangar Rat, the enlarged one, and am waiting with good feelings on it's first indoor flight on the 20th of November....
Aint heard from our guys yet, well, a couple, who are joining us this year, but it's still early for them, I guess....
Oh for those warm windless indoor days............................
Keep the pics comin Gas...
Nice to hear from you Art, I'm hoping to be able to make the trip again this winter, I'll keep you posted.
Gaston
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #1205
paulbipe
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well I got the plane finished and tried it last night in the gym, and it exceeded my expectations. For a standard high school gym the 26" wingspan seems right as I was able to do several slow rolls down the length of the floor Looping was tight and hovering was almost hands off.

The basic specs are: White foam board ($ store), span and length were both 26". Airframe weight about 45 gms and all up weight (less battery) of 105gms.
4- 4gm servos all using pull-pull set-up, This give me the ability to ad some mixing. 2300kv motor and a 7x3 prop. Single wheel. Instead of using X bracing under the wing I set some 1x6mm cf flat section into the leading edge and the training edge area of the wing. you can see it on the picture of the underside of the plane. On a heavy pullout the wings did not flex, or if they did it was not enough to be noticed. The general comment was that this "looked" to be the right size for the gym.

With some milling I should be able to get this down to 80gms plus battery.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (800x533).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	123260   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (800x533).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	123261  
Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #1206
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi Paul
That's really good, considering you're using a servo for each aileron, I assume you removed the backing from the foam board, looks good.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #1207
paulbipe
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Hi Gaston,

Yup, I washed the backing off the board using Windex. Part of the reasoning for using the 4th servo was to try to stiffen up the aileron response. I had been using some thin cf rod and it was prone to bending so I considered a thicker rod but when I weighed the rod vs the servo the servo ended up only costing me about 2 gms. I will take the 2gm penalty for the better aileron action plus the ability to mix aileron to elevator etc anytime.

I am going to try some side force generators next session and see how they workout.

The single wheel works well for landing and take-offs and the side force generators will help keep the wings level on the initial take off run.

Paul
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #1208
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbipe View Post
Hi Gaston,

Yup, I washed the backing off the board using Windex. Part of the reasoning for using the 4th servo was to try to stiffen up the aileron response. I had been using some thin cf rod and it was prone to bending so I considered a thicker rod but when I weighed the rod vs the servo the servo ended up only costing me about 2 gms. I will take the 2gm penalty for the better aileron action plus the ability to mix aileron to elevator etc anytime.

I am going to try some side force generators next session and see how they workout.

The single wheel works well for landing and take-offs and the side force generators will help keep the wings level on the initial take off run.

Paul
I'm glad to see people like you experiment with innovative ideas, 2 grams is surely not a big penalty for the results you're getting, it's awesome, keep it up, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #1209
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Even though nice weather kept many people away from the gym, we still had at least 12 indoor enthusiasts last weekend. We even had a finned visitor, as you can see in the picture, the ceilings fans were trying to turn it into a tuna salad but it escaped without a scratch.

From left to right.
Gisel, always smiling, Steph's plane and mine hovering and the fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indoor Oct 16 2011 020.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	123479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indoor Oct 16 2011 026.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	123481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indoor Oct 16 2011 028.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	123482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indoor Oct 16 2011 029.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	123483  

Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #1210
imported_paintball_kidz
RCC Contributor

I am: tuan d

Total Props: 0

Gaston, I see the indoor flying scene here is still good, new design looks nice. I just entered university this year so I had to give up almost all but 1 plane. The yak served me very well, had over well over 100 flights. Yesterday I was flipping through my videos and came upon this again, the music doesnt help but it was such nice flying plane.

3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick
Parkzone Radian

100% spektrum 2.4ghz

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/paintballkidz
imported_paintball_kidz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.