RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #1361
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm currently building mine!!! (no time before) No paint, rush job (so little time), I have only a few hours available today, so go, go go. Build my full size Sbach without using any glue gun (hate the extra weight), but for this one, it's glue gun most of the way.

I can already tell you that the small orange HK servos fit VERY well. You could almost used them without glue!!! Small arms though, so may possibly have to do something to stretch them a little.

Love the decals Gaston, VERY nice touch. BTW, my box was badly crushed (not your fault). Just want to let you know... Probably those poor overloaded postal guys delivering too many gifts around this time of the year!

OK, back to the bench, good thing about glue gun, is the fact that next step is only a few minutes away! Have to finish it before I start drinking tonight, otherwise, I may have to finish it on a hangover...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #1362
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

OK, back to the thread:

I built and FLEW the new 20" Sbach yesterday (but could not post results until now Sorry for any mistakes/typos, I may still be a bit drunk!).

Here's my first set-up in our quest to find the perfect electronic combo for this awesome airframe:

Brushless Outrunner 3200kv HobbyKing 1612 with a GWS6030 propeller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17599

Orange RX R415 Spektrum DSM2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18827

HK-5320 ultra-micro digital servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17540

Turnigy Plush ESC 6A
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Only a 0.8Amp BEC, doesnít seem to be problem so far.

Total weight, WITHOUT the battery, is only 58.9gr. Currently flying with Rhino 2S 360mah batteries (21.9gr). So flying weight is only 80.8gr With that setup, Iím drawing 5.5amps (and somehow, I have a feeling that itís more the battery that is the current limiting factor!!!). I like to live dangerously, but I can also say that Iíve tested that poor little ESC to well over 6amp in the past. Will see if indoor temperature will give me some heat for my choice! I've added one more CF in the nose and used a longer one on the elevator. (The way I fly, it's always a plus...). In case anybody noticed, I didn't use the original balsa motor mount. They motor I used was already mounted on a smaller piece of balsa for another project I had on the go. Probably saved a bit of weight there too.

Comments about my first setup:
Positives:

- Easy to assemble (put it together and did the maiden the same day!)
- Bit too much power/speed with that tiny motor (impressive so far), so I can probably prop it down a bit to get more grunt and less top speed. Motor and ESC are happy as they are though (sure enough, flying in freezing temperature may help, no heat detected), speed and vertical is nice, so I may simply keep the powertrain as is too. I do have a few lower KV motors, but I really wanted to try this one first, because it is relatively new at HK
- Fly VERY well, slow or fast. A bit of torque rolling on hovers, no wing rocking on slow speed Could not do any decent KE but itís not the airframeís fault (see negatives)
- Itís small, need less space to fly, and itís easy to carry around.

Negatives:
- Servos are a perfect fit. They are very quiet and seem very precise. But as I suspected, arms are way too short. Aileron travel is somewhat ok (but itís not a drill for sure), but rudder and elevator are basically only at 50% travel. Will probably just make those arms longer, but this may bring negative number twoÖ (plus the fact that some review on those servos are not so great, so if I load them even more, I may kill themÖ)
- If I make the servo arms longer, I may also hit the 0.8amp BEC limit. If I replace the servos, I may also hit that limit. Next choice is the 10amp Plush servo, but I donít think I need it for now, and want to avoid it if possible.

Here's a video. Flying from my driveway (using the minivan as a runway!). I have full travel on the servos. When I loop or flat turn, I use full travel. There's also a weebit of wind. But otherwise, it's such a great airplane. Time to see what I can do about those servos arms now!

So, back to the bench. Next step is: longer servo arms (who care if I blow those servos, they are cheap!) and I may prop it down to a GWS5030. The 6" prop look really good, so I'm not sure a 5" prop will look as "scale", but HK say you get almost the same amount of thrust with a 5030 and draw less amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	132298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	132299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	132300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Servo.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	132301  

Last edited by Real Gambler; 01-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Real Gambler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #1363
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

OK, need help here... As usual, HK seem to be very misleading! They say the 5030 should give almost the same amount of thrust as the 6030 on my 3200kv motor...

With a static thrust calculator, I'm getting about half the thrust. (also drawing half the power, but generating same top speed). Being XX30 props, I know why they generate the same top speed. But I trust the calculator over HK's chart, and I don't want to generate half the thrust.

Right now, with my setup, I get VERY nice vertical, and pretty good top speed. That's with a 6030. I'm happy with it as it is, but I'm borderline on my ESC/Battery so I could use a slightly less agressive prop. What would be my next best choice, while sticking with GWS prop if possible. I just want a bit less vertical power, and don't mind loosing some top speed, so while doing that, probably saving a few precious milliamps. (and stretching my flight time a little, though, I'm pretty sure I can do 5 minutes flight safely on the battery, so that's good enough for me).

Any advice?

P.S.: I want to stick with that 3200KV motor for now. Yes, I have a bunch of lower KV motors in stock and that would be the easy solution. But I really want to truly test that little motor while I'm at it, and it's already well mounted on the airframe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hk1612-3200.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	132304  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #1364
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5

Hi Real
Thanks for posting this great video, I flew mine today with the exact same components except for the motor and the battery, I was using the Turnigy 1811-2000, but a 16g 250mAh 2s lipo which is 7g lighter than the 360. The servos worked flawlessly even though they are so tiny, I love them.
I'm waiting for more motors to test, they should be in this week.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1365
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

Did you use the arms that came with those servos? If so, are you using 100% travel, or did you push it over 100?

A lower KV motor should be much better. What kind of flight time do you get with the 250mah batteries (I have lots of Hyperions 240mah, but I'm drawing a lot of current, so flight time would be reduced). I modified my servos arms already to make them longer (C.A. longer arms, and added epoxy all aroud after). Looking forward for my next flying session, but for then next few days, we're getting high winds here (40km+) so I guess next time will be indoor. One suggestion maybe: For knife-edges, that airfoil is not that wide, so maybe a set of side-force-generators coming with the kit would be an asset? Just something to think about, though, as I said, I have not tried it yet with full travel, so who knows, maybe KEs will be as awesome as the rest of it!

Thanks again for a great airframe!

P.S.: Video is not that great. With reduced travel, you can only do so much.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1366
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

[QUOTE=Real Gambler;900874]Did you use the arms that came with those servos? If so, are you using 100% travel, or did you push it over 100?

A lower KV motor should be much better. What kind of flight time do you get with the 250mah batteries (I have lots of Hyperions 240mah, but I'm drawing a lot of current, so flight time would be reduced). I modified my servos arms already to make them longer (C.A. longer arms, and added epoxy all aroud after). Looking forward for my next flying session, but for then next few days, we're getting high winds here (40km+) so I guess next time will be indoor. One suggestion maybe: For knife-edges, that airfoil is not that wide, so maybe a set of side-force-generators coming with the kit would be an asset? Just something to think about, though, as I said, I have not tried it yet with full travel, so who knows, maybe KEs will be as awesome as the rest of it!

Thanks again for a great airframe!

Thanks Real
To get maximum travel, all I did is insert the 1" CF rod parallel to the top of the foam control horn but half way down, it will give you full travel, I have to change that in the manual, I get close to two inches each way on all surfaces if I set my travel at 150%.
Ray and I were doing some pretty good knife edges today.
If you just fly around, you should get close to 10 minutes but if you do a lot of hovers and rolling circles, you might only get 5 minutes.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1367
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Here's a pic of Steph's scratch built Sbach, it's built with 1/2 in. blue foam, the wingspan is 40 in. as you can imagine it's an outdoor model, it will interesting to see it fly next summer, nice work Steph.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Steph's 40 in. Sbach.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	132373  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #1368
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

What do you guys use to print out those decals? I would like the exact same sheets, they do a great job!

Gaston: Too late for moving the rod down, already did the longer arms. Will see how that goes. 40Km winds right now... Ouch.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #1369
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
What do you guys use to print out those decals? I would like the exact same sheets, they do a great job!

Gaston: Too late for moving the rod down, already did the longer arms. Will see how that goes. 40Km winds right now... Ouch.
Hi Real

I use clear Avery full sheet labels, here are the numbers
for laser printers: 15665
for ink jet: 18665
In my opinion, they are very light and easy to apply, all you have to do is create a label and print it, Ray was kind enough to make a file for me.

p.s. sent you a pm.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #1370
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

Thanks.... Replied to your PM before I read that, so I was sure you misread my question... Yep, I was looking after the sheet labels, so thanks for the quick answer. Time to go shopping for some of those now!

BTW: The longer arms were still not long enough!!! But as much as I hate going over 100% travel with a servo, I have to admit that those little orange servos can really go up to 150% without any problems. So, my 20" Sbach is ready to fly. Longer arms and more servo travel, but now full travel for all control surfaces. Next flight should be much better! Really love that small bird for sure already!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.