Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #1461
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Total Props: 0
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, you electronic guru's, got a couple questons, this probably isn't the forum to ask em in but..................... I got to have answers....quick!
Have one of HK orange receivers, the micro one.. and bought two of HK's linear micro servos... Now, they say these are for a 1 cell operation, 3.6V, but, this lipo won't run my 5gr outrunner for no longer than 2 minutes and that aint enough to get the silly thing in the air...
Now, queston.... I've changed the battery connector to accept the 2c lipo, 350mAh and want to know, will this damage these micro servos, or will the withstand the higher voltage.... Seems to me I read on HK's site, somewhere, that the max voltage is 4.5V for em...
Anybody got any ideas??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HK3D17L.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	145129   Click image for larger version

Name:	18827-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	145130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem plane 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	145132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem plane 004.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	145133  

Attached Images

foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #1462
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamball View Post
OK, you electronic guru's, got a couple questons, this probably isn't the forum to ask em in but..................... I got to have answers....quick!
Have one of HK orange receivers, the micro one.. and bought two of HK's linear micro servos... Now, they say these are for a 1 cell operation, 3.6V, but, this lipo won't run my 5gr outrunner for no longer than 2 minutes and that aint enough to get the silly thing in the air...
Now, queston.... I've changed the battery connector to accept the 2c lipo, 350mAh and want to know, will this damage these micro servos, or will the withstand the higher voltage.... Seems to me I read on HK's site, somewhere, that the max voltage is 4.5V for em...
Anybody got any ideas??????
Hi Art
I've been using HK5320 servos which are rated for 4.2 volts with a Turnigy Plush 6a which has a Bec giving out 5.0 volts without too much trouble but I never used the linears.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #1463
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Simply put a diode (something like a 1N4004) in line with the BEC output of your ESC. So if your ESC output is 5volts, the diode will take 0.7Volts out of the equation, feeding your receiver and servos with only 4.3Volts.

Those linear servos are not that great, hope you have a few spares . I agree with Gaston, the HK5320 are much better.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #1464
hsh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Hugh H.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ & 10CAP

Total Props: 1

Is it really that simple? The ESC is a 1s ESC, will it handle 7.4 volts? The diode will look after the servos but I think the smoke will get out of the ESC.
Hugh
hsh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #1465
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Good eye Hugh. I would think big smoke from the esc with two cells.

I have never found a good brushless system for 1 cell operation. I keep looking.
I would suggest, forget the 2 cell operation and go geared brushed for single cell. You can then use the liner servos. I had to rewire mine for that orange RX.

Use the power system that Stevens Aeromodel suggests for their planes.

Motor and Gear Box: Ultra Micro P-51, UM T-28 by ParkZone (PKZ3624) --$15
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m-t-28-PKZ3624

Prop and Spinner 130 x 70 (2): UM 4-Site/Champ -- $5
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

And a brushed esc from HK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ro_Motors.html -- $10

This should be a much lighter plane than if you went with 2s.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #1466
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Good eye Hugh. I would think big smoke from the esc with two cells.

I have never found a good brushless system for 1 cell operation. I keep looking.
LOL, that's why I missed it and suggested the diode... I'm still looking for a good 1S brushless system as well (that doesn't cost $80). I looked at the picture of the ESC (trying to find what kind of BEC was on it) and presumed it was a 2S or more ESC! That thing looked big for a 1S ESC. Another ooooops moment!

Oh well, it's BBQ season after all!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #1467
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

HSH, to answer your question regarding the ESC, nope, it didn't take the 7.4V... Yep, it did smoke so I quickly unplugged the lipo..... Didn't apprear to hurt the servos tho... So, re attached a new ESC, 10Amp one, and plugged in the lipo again, this time, no smoke, motor had a lot more power, then, the servo test...... All three appeared to work OK, no smoke....... yet...
I haven't a clue what make the ESC is, it's from Lazertoyz but it appears to work OK and give me the power to the motor I need..
The plane weighed 2.7oz with the HK ESC, 1 cell Lipo and 3 linear servo setup, Now it's up to 3.8oz with the 2C lipo, 350mAh...
I guess I answered myself... Was hoping someone could shed some light on the linear servos tho...
It's ready for an outdoor test flight, now all I got to do is to wait for a stretch of good weather again... rain, cold, windy is in the forecast for the next few days... And April is just around the corner... Huh, Toledo time????????????
Thanks guys for your answers... Will keep on plugging along..
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #1468
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Ha, further to my last post on the ESC... It was HK's BR3A HK 3amp single cell ESC BRUSHED micro....
I should have remembered, I got it for the Parkzone motor/gear combo, but in my hast to get a decent motor on it, I used a BRUSHLESS outrunner....
Now I know why it "Smoked"..... Dumb me....
Brushed ESC for a 2C operation, Brushless motor....... No further comment....
But, as I said, it is now ready for a trial flight, outdoors... maybe indoor if I can get in our gym soon...
Again, thanks for the info fellas....
All I got to do now is to get the brain to work right, eh??
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #1469
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Another note:
I'm working on something big, for indoor flying..... If it's a go, then I'll be asking you fellows to support us on this "Special".
Should have an answer next week... It's a HUGE place, new, and just what we need for indoor....
Hope I got your taste buds going!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #1470
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
LOL, that's why I missed it and suggested the diode... I'm still looking for a good 1S brushless system as well (that doesn't cost $80). I looked at the picture of the ESC (trying to find what kind of BEC was on it) and presumed it was a 2S or more ESC! That thing looked big for a 1S ESC. Another ooooops moment!

Oh well, it's BBQ season after all!
LOL, I come from the brushed days and I think all brushless controllers look big.
If you find a half decent 1s brushless system let me know. I built a small Sbach out of 3mm EPP that would be similar to the UMX Extra. I looked and looked for a 1s brushless system but ended up using the motor, gearbox and prop from the UMX Extra. I tried the linear servos but found them too slow. They also jittered with the throttle. The orange 5230 servos worked excellent and I switched over to them. Also used the micro orange rx from HK along with the brushed esc I posted in the previous thread.
Very happy with the performance.

Art, I looked up those linear servos and they only say for 1 cell operation. They may work for awhile but I think you are taxing them with 2s.
The magic smoke will let you know in the end.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.