Blue Foamie - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
YAKFEVER
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi

All I can do is hover ( without a string as implied earlier by Skyad...) and a bit of aerobatics.
Come on, your very good as well, how about you hover while I roll circles around you.... that would make a nice video!

Better get all my batteries charged to proctice first!

For "blue Foam" you will be amazed! I was!!!!

YakFever

Rolly
YAKFEVER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #22
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5

Hi Rolly

Sounds like a good idea, we'll have to ask our flying buddies to give us five minutes, sholuldn't be a problem.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
Thumbs up Re: Blue Foamie

I will vouch for the GBJ thread! I have two of these foamies, with several more being built by local members. Winter "USED TO BE" building and repair time only. It is now one of the more active times of the year, especially that we can now build our own.

One thing I have learned is that I had a bad habit of ignoring the rudder. With these foamies, flying in the gym, rudder is essential. Another learning lesson!!!!! I expect by spring, my flying skills will have improved markedly from the fall (of course, my skills are such that improvement is very easy because of the low level at present) Keep it up Gaston!

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi Ron

Thanks for the compliments, I really enjoy watching the guys fly foamies they built using blue foam. You can easily notice the improvement of everyone's skills everytime we go to the gym, including myself, which hopefully will allow me to fly a Fancy Foam or similar model made of Depron someday without totalling it on the first or second flight. If it happens with a Blue Foamie, it's only $5.00 but if it's Depron, often it's almost $100.00 by the time it gets to you.

There should be 6 or 7 guys coming to my place on Saturday for a building seminar but there's room for more and we hope to see you join all of us.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi

I just found out that Rolly had to go to the States for a couple days on business and won't be back until Sunday night, I was looking forward to making a video with him but I'm sorry to inform you that it will be delayed for a few days. I also learned that Ron Roy from Timmins will be joining us for the building seminar on Saturday and fly with us on Sunday, we're looking forward to this weekend.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #26
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi

I started to take pictures for the building thread today but it will take a few days to complete since I'm still in the workforce and have limited time on my hands, I guess being 65 years old, I should retire but I have the bad habit of buying too many airplanes, jets and turboprops, thank God, the foamies aren't too expensive, ok that's enough about me.

The first pic show the outline of all the parts drawn on the sheet of fanfold, you can observe the lack of notches on the fuselage, they are not needed with blue foam and makes it a lot easier.

This pic is not too clear but it will get better, I promise, or at least, I'll try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00070.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	44280  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #27
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

This pic shows all the parts cut and ready, I personally like to use a no. 11 Xacto blade, I had a box of 100 but didn't seem to last very long and after talking to some friends from one of our local clubs, (SMAC) they suggested I sharpen them with a fine stone, well they were right, I've been using the same blade now for the last three weeks and I must have built half a dozen models with it, you see it doesn't matter how old you are, I'm still learning.

You can also notice that I didn't cut the part of the wings that will be glued to the fuselage, we will check with the already cut fuselage, and adjust before cutting to make sure it's a good fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00071.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	44281  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Cut two pieces of carbon fiber or fiberglass for the leading edge and apply a small bead of hot glue to the front of the wing, you can do a bit at a time, let's say four or five inches, just wait a few seconds for the glue to set and bend the foam to do more and don't worry if you end up missing a bit of glue in between steps.

This type of construction seems weak but it has some advantages, wing bracing will take care of the weakness but on the other hand, you can build two models with a length of 1mm x3mm x 48in. carbonfiber, sorry about mixing the numbers, I'm just confused between the metric system and the other one. I know I should have stayed in school longer, a bit late now, isn't it.
A good substitute is a 2.5 fiberglass rod sold in lengths of 750mm.
works just as well with negligible weight difference and at a fraction of the cost of carbon fiber.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00073.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	44282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00075.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	44283  

Last edited by gbjets; 11-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
gbjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #29
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

This pic shows the left wing placed under the already cut fuselage to verify if the markings on the wing match the fuselage, if needed adjust your marks, then cut the wings, you should be able to get a perfect fit.

I should have mentioned this earlier but I like to use a fine point wet erase marker, I find them easier to erase than dry. A fine point will make it easier to follow the lines when cutting.

You can also see two lines drawn on the fuselage, they will help you to line up the vertical parts of the fuselage and guide you when applying the glue, these lines should also be drawn on the botom part of the fuselage.

I should also mention that all the lines for cutting the parts were drawn on the film side of the foam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00076.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	44285  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #30
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Well, that's it for tonight, it's past my bedtime, I'll try to post more pics and comments within the next few days, in the meantime here's another picture of myself hovering at our gym and there are no strings, I'm serious but I just realized I'm loosing my hair, there's a darn bald spot at the back of my head, I better get some spray like they show on tv.

Talk to you soon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00036.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	44294  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.